PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think about this?

DUBBED
02-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Click (http://www.enerflo.com/)

My dad just bought out this company and another company that supplies the products to build these systems in Western Canada.

For those of you who havn't heard of this before it's called Geo-Thermal engineering. Basically it's a system that eliminates the need for natural gas in a household, interest is just starting to pick up so I was just wondering what people on Beyond thought of this idea.

In the next few years my dad is planning on building a house that is completely independant of the city grid, i.e. supplies power to the house and heating/cooling systems via solar panels, and heating/cooling the house with the systems described on the website. Imagine a completely functional house with no electrical/gas bill, quite impressive if you ask me. The best part is that the system is only marginally more expensive than the current heating/cooling systems therefore pays itself off within 3 years, and runs for free after that.

This is how the system works. (http://www.enerflo.com/faq.html)

Comments are always appreciated but unfortunately I personally can't answer too many questions as I do not know too much about the system myself. All of the most common questions are answered on the page though.

ShOwOfF
02-26-2004, 11:54 PM
I've heard of this before, good idea, and good luck with the business.

Dave P
02-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Have you heard of the company Tathicus?

just out of curiosity?

GTS Jeff
02-27-2004, 01:28 AM
this sorta shit is good for the environment but bad for the utilities industry.

but :hitit:

Weapon_R
02-27-2004, 01:42 AM
There are two small concerns i'd have about this system:

1) It hasn't been tested extensively, and the durability and longevity of such system is probably not the same as a furnace type system. It may be tested, but not by anyone I know. I'm probably the first to say that I wouldn't try it unless someone else did.

2) The initial cost for installation is probably more than people can afford. I don't know what it would cost, but a lot of people would opt to pay for their utilities month to month than fork out a huge payment.

More information would be awesome - it would be interesting to see the costs associated with installation and how it would look when installed (stealthy or is the house going to be covered with solar panels?)

Redlyne_mr2
02-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
this sorta shit is good for the environment but bad for the utilities industry.

but :hitit:
It will force them to evolve with the times, sink or swim. Albertas revenue from oil and gas wont be around forever

itsnotaDUB
02-27-2004, 01:45 AM
thats a really good idea... but bad for major companies that depend on us using natural gas... maybe like the car that runs on water... didnt fly because the guy in the Big offices paid for the designs...hopfully that doesnt happen with your old man ......

DUBBED
02-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
Have you heard of the company Tathicus?

just out of curiosity?

Sorry no.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
There are two small concerns i'd have about this system:

1) It hasn't been tested extensively, and the durability and longevity of such system is probably not the same as a furnace type system. It may be tested, but not by anyone I know. I'm probably the first to say that I wouldn't try it unless someone else did.

2) The initial cost for installation is probably more than people can afford. I don't know what it would cost, but a lot of people would opt to pay for their utilities month to month than fork out a huge payment.

More information would be awesome - it would be interesting to see the costs associated with installation and how it would look when installed (stealthy or is the house going to be covered with solar panels?)

1) It has been tested and is currently being using all over Manitoba, Nothern Alberta, and in the Northwest Territories with no flaws. If you read the case studies on the website it has been in use since the early 90's in BC.

2)It's not an ideal system to install in just one unit, it's aimed at developers to do a whole community with this system, or larger houses and buildings. He just got a deal with a golf course in Edmonton that is going to use this system in the clubhouse. I also overheard my dad talking about a potential customer who pays $2500/month for her gas bill, for a house that size it would be well worth the extra cash in the beginning as this would pay itself off extremely quickly.

Unfortunately I can't give you a accurate cost as I havn't had a deep discussion with my dad about the system yet. Ultimately it is the customers choice if they want to use solar panels as well, current electricity providers can be used to run the pumps or one can vouch to completely cut themselves off the grid and use solar panels. Therefore it could be as stealthy as you want it to be.

DUBBED
02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
thats a really good idea... but bad for major companies that depend on us using natural gas... maybe like the car that runs on water... didnt fly because the guy in the Big offices paid for the designs...hopfully that doesnt happen with your old man ......

Unfortunately my Dad knows the potential of this company and is insisting on holding 51% of shares, he's already been approached by numerous Billionares but has refused to sell out.

t3rry
02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
that looks cool.. maybe i'll hold off on buying my house for a couple years in hopes of getting one with this built in.. i HATE enmax and atco and thier damn unreasonable rate hykes whenever the owner wants another mansion

sputnik
02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
It is becoming quite popular in remote regions of northern Manitoba. People are also starting to heat their cabins with it too.

sexualbanana
02-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Would be nice especially after last night. Had one black out at midnite that lasted about 30 minutes, then another sometime between 3am and 830am. Wiping out the alarms and clocks that we had reset earlier :banghead:

2 blackouts in one night suck.

itsnotaDUB
02-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

Unfortunately my Dad knows the potential of this company and is insisting on holding 51% of shares, he's already been approached by numerous Billionares but has refused to sell out.

right on buddy.. thats how it has to be.....