PDA

View Full Version : Wifi light bulb

TomcoPDR
01-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Any beyond reviews or knowledge with wifi light bulbs?

TYMSMNY
01-06-2014, 04:33 AM
as in... wifi/home automation controlled lights?

wtf im nameless
01-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Philips Hue:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HA779VC/A/philips-hue-connected-bulb-starter-pack

Or you can replaces the switches with dimmers that have radios in them, when combined with a processor you can then control all lights via wifi, or 3G/LTE when you're on the road:

http://www.control4.com/products/lighting
http://www.control4.com/products/controllers

Xtrema
01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Harmony Smart Control also controls Hue bridge.

But not sure if that can be integrated into a command sequence.

FunWheelDrive
01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
I have the Philips Hue setup in my basement. They are pretty cool, the app seems to work pretty well. There are other APPS to make them into strobe lights and disco light show, those apps need work though. The lights seem to "lag" out. They aren't as bright as the long life florescence pot lights I had but are pretty good. When you change the color of the light from the bulbs (I bought the starter pack that came with three bulbs) it really changes the mood of the room. You can do like intense white light, or a nice amber, or go completely red or blue. :thumbsup:

schocker
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Belkin also has the wemo light switches that are on wifi also wifi enabled plugs. I hear the software sucks though. Should be some new stuff coming out from CES though as more companies get into home automation.

Xtrema
01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Belkin also has the wemo light switches that are on wifi also wifi enabled plugs. I hear the software sucks though. Should be some new stuff coming out from CES though as more companies get into home automation.

Sucks to hear, was thinking about Wemo motion sensor + outlet to control some LED strips, so it lit up the kitchen or Home Theater when you walk in.

supe
01-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Sucks to hear, was thinking about Wemo motion sensor + outlet to control some LED strips, so it lit up the kitchen or Home Theater when you walk in.

I have the wemo, not the motion sensor version but it sucks. At least its not where it should be. It has lost connection with my wifi network a couple times now which is a pita. Biggest knock is it has no API which means no cool stuff. The closest you will get is IFTTT but its a little bit slow and limited.

I think I'm going to give smartthings a try.

Sugarphreak
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM

TYMSMNY
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
On a side note.... do conventional dimmer switches work with LED lights? Are there dimmers that are specific for LED?
as long as the bulbs are dimmable. It'll be good.

spike98
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by supe

I have the wemo, not the motion sensor version but it sucks. At least its not where it should be. It has lost connection with my wifi network a couple times now which is a pita. Biggest knock is it has no API which means no cool stuff. The closest you will get is IFTTT but its a little bit slow and limited.

I think I'm going to give smartthings a try.

I am going all smartthings pretty soon. The control unit has a zigbee radio in it as well and pretty soon Nest should release zigbee control (for the thermostat and smoke/CO detector).

I am going zwave switches,outlets and locks, both nest products, and the sensors (Light, moisture, movement) by smartthings.

Should be able to do full home automation for less than $2500...and more reliably too vs vivint.

thetransporter
01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by schocker

they suck -
sometimes you go to use them (from the wall) the light is blinking as if it lost connection

only works for iphone or latest android, didnt work on about 4 of my androids,

the software will only work using the same network SSID - meaning even after they are paired if you have a second AP on your network with a different SSID it will not allow to use it -

it has to scan sometimes when you open your APP not the most convienent

and no web access - meaning you can only use a smart phone...

LLLimit
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I have the wemo light switch, $50. Controls a group of 6 CFLs in the kitchen.

-Much better than paying the exorbitant price for a Philips Hue,
-Doesn't need a hub
-IFFFT.com is adequate for setting rules; eg Auto-On at sunset. Great on vacation.
-Wemo app on android is very slow. I don't really use it.
-Only lost wifi connection 2 out of the 5 months I've had it, didn't have time to trouble shoot, but it fixed itself both times. My Nest thermostat looses connection more than the wemo, and they're 3' apart.

Just announced, but it's too expensive.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/01/06/belkin-announces-wemo-led-lighting-kit-bringing-smartphone-controlled-ambiance-to-canada-this-spring/

May be better off going to smartthings.com if you want to spend the money. Comes with door lock integration.