PDA

View Full Version : Will the new EVO VII or VIII sell well?

Big_Six_Boy
09-23-2002, 07:36 PM
I doubt it...
I'll tell you why. The people who are really excited about it mostly belong to the Civic price-range. They're all like, "..yeah, man.. I would LUV that ride! That's the Sheit..." (yadda yadda)
Meanwhile, it's just a pipe dream at the price they'll be selling the new Evo's & STi's for. So who's gonna buy it? I think there'll be a coupla *richer* folk who will buy it, and the sales will be moderate. After that, the novelty will wear off and the sales will drop...alot.
Think about it. You think the guys who have that kind of coin (conservatively estimated at $46,000 for either EVO or STI), will be buying it? Trust me... when you are in that position, you're not really thinking Mitsu or Subaru. You're gonna pimp right out with some AMG or throw in a coupla more $$$ and get a used Boxster. It's not all about speed.
Just ask the guys who own those cars on this board. You think they're going, "..man, once the EVO comes out, I'm selling my AMG and picking one up!". Uh...yeah, right! :rolleyes:

CA18DET
09-23-2002, 07:55 PM
the new ones are ugly. id get a 5 or 6 if i could.

2000impreza
09-23-2002, 08:01 PM
i think the subaru sti will sell. there is a lot of hype on it right now. the lancer EVO.... maybe. we will have to see. i really don't see it selling too well. it will be too expensive for a mitsu.

Hipermax_d
09-23-2002, 08:25 PM
i think both the sti and the evo will sell that much
they will sell a lot when it comes first thing at the dealer because everyone would like a brand new car no one else has.

just look around and you would see a few wrx's. not many people can afford a $40000 subaru and not many people wants all performance.
even the rsx type s. you see a lot more non type s rsx's

Big_Six_Boy
09-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Exactly my point. They will sell well at first cause it's a novelty (not too many people have them), but that novelty will wear off after the first year.
The problem is the *true* hardcore guys who want them can't afford them, and the people who *can* afford them aren't interested.
That's a dilemma that I'm sure Mitsu (EVO), Subaru (STI), and Nissan (Skyline) worry about.

Ben
09-24-2002, 10:23 AM
buying a car on Hype...yeah, good choice:thumbsdow

2000impreza
09-24-2002, 10:35 AM
anyone willing to drop $50k on a subaru or mitsu is nuts:nut:

Hipermax_d
09-24-2002, 10:36 AM
well either way
you go to japan's street racing and stuff. most people with their skylines, seven, evo's etc. are all age 30's to 40's. there is not much young people with cars over there because they have to go to school for like 10 hours and have no time to work. also even if they can afford a car (rich parents) there is no where to park the damn car. its really crowded in japan and one garage is the max you can get for your house. renting a parking in front of their house costs like 100 bucks a month.

in calgary or canada you dont see much 30's or 40 years old people doing major tuning to their cars.
its different here and over in asia. modifying the cars is basically people in their early age.

5.9 R/T
09-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d

in calgary or canada you dont see much 30's or 40 years old people doing major tuning to their cars.

You just don't see them because they are tuning cars that you are not interrested in. I bet there are more 30-50 year olds with 'tuned' cars then there are 16-30 year olds with 'tuned' cars. BTW windshield washer LED's does not count as a 'tuned' car.

I think they would sell better if they offered more luxurious appointments for that price, but thats not what the cars are built for. I was flipping through R&T and they showed a pic of the new WRX front end. I think i like it better then the current version, but I would have to see it in person to make a firm decision. It is much more sleek looking then the current model.

Speed_RaSiR
09-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

BTW windshield washer LED's does not count as a 'tuned' car.

Whut?? when did this happen?:rofl:

rage2
09-24-2002, 11:11 AM
The 30-50 year olds I know that builds their cars up are pretty much only used on the track, that's why nobody really sees many of them. Last time I checked, they were hardcore rides, Vipers, Porsches, etc., so I think Big_Six_Boy might have a point here.

5.9 R/T
09-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The 30-50 year olds I know that builds their cars up are pretty much only used on the track, that's why nobody really sees many of them. Last time I checked, they were hardcore rides, Vipers, Porsches, etc., so I think Big_Six_Boy might have a point here.

Again this could be because those are only the cars that you notice/are interrested in. Look at all the classic muscle cars that show up to SS at any given night, or to the bracket racing (on saturday nights I think?). 9 times out of 10 there will be a middle aged man driving the car. No wonder you don't see many 30-50 Y/O's with tuned cars if your only looking for high roller cars like your own! :D

semasema
09-24-2002, 02:54 PM
I also think that the new Evo VIII might be a tough sell but I don't think people shopping in that price range ($40-$50k) are thinking AMG or used Boxster. In that range, it is possible to get a base BMW 330, A4, S2000. AMG anything is another sh*tload of money, definitely not in the $50's or even $60's.

I disagree that there are not many WRX's on the road, I see many of them around. This month's Road and Track also said that "The WRX has been a tremendous hit, with more than 20,000 cars sold to date in the U.S." Subaru entered the North American market cautiously and are now capitalizing on their success. Mitsu is seeing the success of the WRX and wants a share of this, thus they have decided to bring out the Evo VIII. I don't know if bringing out a $48-$50k compact is going to be a great solution but we'll see in the near future.

I think if the Evo VIII or STi does not sell well, it will be attributable to:
-the designs of the cars (I don't think one can really look at either car and say that it looks really attractive)
-the fact that the cars still just compact cars and base models (a normal Impreza or Lancer ) are so cheap, thus cheapening the image of the EVO VIII and STi
-the need for more luxurious options

The 350Z is in the same price range but has anyone said that it is just a "Nissan"?? No.

Anyways, this is an interesting topic I am sure we'll talk about for the next few years.

HOK
09-25-2002, 01:46 AM
i think it will sell... there is always brand development. though you may not think mitsu or subaru a quality brand it does not mean it cannot become one. many of you are basing your thoughts on what you've seen in North America and the quality of the parts from here. i bought my car in the 20ks and i got exactly what i expected. the WRX is way over priced, but thats the nature of the economic beast. its essentially got a monopoly. Once the STI comes over and the EVO enters the market, the WRX will go down in price . . . for sure. The Sti needs to be seen and driven before you can make judgements on its worth, 40k isn't just for the engine... you will feel the difference... also depending on what the EVO comes will both these cars will do twelves or low 13s stock.. show me something 40k that will do that... with AWD... also with the growth of rallying in north american i'm sure the cars will do better then the late 300zx that got priced out of the market. All you really need is real tuners to go along with these cars.. not like 5.9 R/T said... windshield wiper neon lights

4wheeldrift
09-25-2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by semasema
I also think that the new Evo VIII might be a tough sell but I don't think people shopping in that price range ($40-$50k) are thinking AMG or used Boxster. In that range, it is possible to get a base BMW 330, A4, S2000. AMG anything is another sh*tload of money, definitely not in the $50's or even $60's.

I disagree that there are not many WRX's on the road, I see many of them around. This month's Road and Track also said that "The WRX has been a tremendous hit, with more than 20,000 cars sold to date in the U.S." Subaru entered the North American market cautiously and are now capitalizing on their success. Mitsu is seeing the success of the WRX and wants a share of this, thus they have decided to bring out the Evo VIII. I don't know if bringing out a $48-$50k compact is going to be a great solution but we'll see in the near future.

I think if the Evo VIII or STi does not sell well, it will be attributable to:
-the designs of the cars (I don't think one can really look at either car and say that it looks really attractive)
-the fact that the cars still just compact cars and base models (a normal Impreza or Lancer ) are so cheap, thus cheapening the image of the EVO VIII and STi
-the need for more luxurious options

The 350Z is in the same price range but has anyone said that it is just a "Nissan"?? No.

Anyways, this is an interesting topic I am sure we'll talk about for the next few years.

Here's the thing though, most of the people who are interested in the Evo or STi have prior knowledge of the cars. They aren't looking for a luxury car and don't care that the car is "still just a compact car". The STi and Evo are still the closest you can get to driving a WRC machine. Their original purpose was for homologation for rallying, and they are technology demonstrators for their respective marques. The cars will sell well for their price, because there are people out there, like me, who don't mind paying $45k for a subaru or a mitsubishi.

Big_Six_Boy
09-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by HOK
i bought my car in the 20ks and i got exactly what i expected. the WRX is way over priced, but thats the nature of the economic beast. its essentially got a monopoly. Once the STI comes over and the EVO enters the market, the WRX will go down in price . . . for sure. The Sti needs to be seen and driven before you can make judgements on its worth, 40k isn't just for the engine... you will feel the difference... also depending on what the EVO comes will both these cars will do twelves or low 13s stock.. show me something 40k that will do that... with AWD...

I agree with you because both cars are awesome bang for the buck. But the point of the thread was that people who are in the $40-50,000 car market won't be interested in the EVO or STi. I know there are LOTS of people who want one... they just can't afford it. The irony is, the people who CAN afford it will probably pass on it.
Again, it's not all about speed...

Look at other notable cars in the past, and their dominant model year:

MR-2 --> 1986
Celica --> 1986
300ZX --> 1990
MR-2 --> 1992/3 (new style)
NSX --> 1991/2

How many times do you see a new style MR-2 that is newer than 1993?? SCARCE...
..or an '86-styled Celica/MR2 that is not an 86??

My point is that the new EVOs and STIs will sell well the first year, but will diminish after that. Because after the first year, all the people who wanted to buy one (and could afford it) have bought them already.