PDA

View Full Version : Injury benefits

chathamf
01-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey guys

Recently started a new job so in thr waiting period for my benefits. The company im with (Merit) does not show the benefit info unless you can login.

My backs really bothering my lately and I believe it's from my job. I was fine all xmas break and today as soon as I put on my work pouch I started feeling pain. I am thinking I will need time off to heal the injury. Wondering if benefit programs usually pay you when injured and approx. how much?

ercchry
01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
WCB is what it would be, you go to the doctors, say its from work and you fill out the forms. i believe its caps out at $400/week (net, no taxes deducted)

Masked Bandit
01-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Hey guys

Recently started a new job so in thr waiting period for my benefits. The company im with (Merit) does not show the benefit info unless you can login.

My backs really bothering my lately and I believe it's from my job. I was fine all xmas break and today as soon as I put on my work pouch I started feeling pain. I am thinking I will need time off to heal the injury. Wondering if benefit programs usually pay you when injured and approx. how much?

So you just started with these guys and you're already looking for a benefits payout? Or am I'm not reading this correctly?

chathamf
01-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Well my benefits kick in like next week so if I have to I will suck it up at work until they are valid. I'd rather not claim with WCB and likely couldn't anyways as the injury seems to be a sciaatic nerve.

Black Gts
01-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Its actually up to 90%wage. I got that no issues last spring when I busted my wrist. I have heard 75% of wage from other people, I think if you're self employed vs an employee maybe it changes. Depending on your job they will push you towards light duty, or if your workplace doesn't offer light duty like mine you get to do all kinds of fun things like personality assessments, job hunting training, and physio up to 3 times a week. Wcb will not let you just sit around because they think it won't help your injury.

ercchry
01-06-2014, 06:56 PM
well, i can tell you right now its going to be your only option besides taking vacation, cause its damn rare to actually have short term disability coverage. chances are you will have $500 for physio and $500 for massage and if thats not enough, then you are on your own

codetrap
01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
When I took short term disability time off for my hip surgeries, it was full pay for the entire term. However, I've also been there for a long time.

chathamf
01-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Was it through wcb or your benefits.

englishbob
01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
300 hours banked before you can claim with merit.

Kramerica
01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Short term disability is typically 66.67% of your wages or 75% if your employer is paying atleast part of the disability premiums (although it then becomes taxable). Maximums vary but are generally small to prevent anybody with a decent salary from claiming.

Standard waiting period is 3 months of employment before benefits kick in but can vary. As others have said Short Term Disability is probably the rarest of all benefits (other than CI but thats another story) so its pretty unlikely you have it. Problem is you haven't had an accident so you're likely going to be looking at a week or so after you've reported the injury/illness with no payments.

Me personally, I really would hesitate to claim disability immediately after I got past the waiting period even if I was eligible, just looks really bad in the eyes of your employer.

AndyL
01-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Well work injury would be wcb - doesn't matter what your benefit system is...

But you probably just need to play with your tool belt... Might just need to add suspenders, might need a wider belt, or thinner belt... Pouch locations make huge differences; I had to move my impacts off my ass and more to the sides.

Eventually I dropped the belt altogether. as keeping it properly balanced became too difficult - didn't loose as much time with planned detours to load pockets, as I did stretching out back issues...

blairtruck
01-06-2014, 11:42 PM
it wont look good to the employer and im sure a wcb comes back bad on the employer also. i know at my work. if your sore or small injury in the field they will rather have you sit around the office doing light duty then a wcb claim.