PDA

View Full Version : trades help

dips87
01-06-2014, 10:34 PM
i don't know if this the right section or not

I'm doing a trade and now have completed the hours needed for my 1st year. i also don't remember if i did my exam yet or not i did it couple of years ago. i was wondering if anyone know what i do next. i thought i had to fill out my blue book and hand it in and when i get it back it will let me know if I'm a 2nd year or or have to do first year schooling. my employer said that i don't do that instead have to fill out a form.

wondering if anyone here know what to do or the form i have to fill out

any help would be nice. i would try and call the apprenticeship board here in calgary but I'm to busy during the day and when I'm able to its closed

Black Gts
01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
How long since you got your blue book? They will cancel you if youddon't keep in contact with them. If you're employer wants to keep you happy and in the apprenticeship program they better make time for you to call, it seriously takes 5 mins. What trade Btw?

dips87
01-06-2014, 10:52 PM
i got my blue book back in feb. its plumbing

AE92_TreunoSC
01-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Phone them, anything else is speculation. I phoned them a few times during my apprenticeship and they can answer your questions properly.

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/contact-us/?QUERY=1&OFFICE=CALGARY

dips87
01-06-2014, 11:02 PM
ya i will call them once i have some spare time and find out exactly what to do or get done. just wondering if someone on here happen to know so i could maybe gt started with forms or what not

brucebanner
01-06-2014, 11:40 PM
What exam are you not sure of? Did you challenge a block of school? Have you gone to school?

Gain apprenticeship > work hours > update blue book > go to school/challenge block

Rinse and repeat.

As was already said, calling into the apprenticeship board would be best. They'll be able to tell you exactly where you are at within your apprenticeship and where/what you need to do.

dips87
01-07-2014, 12:03 AM
went to pre employment and did a test but i don't know if it was the first year exam or just a final test

ya i looks like the best thing to do is call in and see. I'm trying to figure this out as I'm moving out and either renting or gonna split on a house

03ozwhip
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Was it an equivalence teat to qualify for an apprenticeship? If so them you just keep updating your hours until you're ready for school. Once you're done school and the paperwork says you're good, then you get your 2nd year rate.

I'm a first year apprentice myself, had to do it all from scratch just like you're doing.

brucebanner
01-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Definitely an equivalency test. Bring your blue book to your employer to have all your hours updated, call sait and see when they have openings for class.

dips87
01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Okay

I brought my blue book to my employer and they said they don't fill out and that I have fill out a form instead and not the blue book. They said the blue book is for my records. But I remember someone telling me that I have get it filled out and hand it in so they can update my file

brucebanner
01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I've personally never dealt with anything but the blue book. You obviously have the time to post up on beyond to ask through the workday, take that time instead to phone the apprenticeship office.

03ozwhip
01-07-2014, 04:35 PM
^agreed man, I haven't heard of having a form filled out, I just hand my shit in and they stamp it with their name etc and write in the hours.

rx7_turbo2
01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/

A wealth of knowledge can be found on that site. Failing that? Pick up the phone and call. Anytime I called my questions were answered almost immediately and if not I was directed to someone who could answer them in a very short period of time.

For the record however I always kept my Blue Book. When my own mental addition had me at the right hours I submitted it to my employer, who then filled it out and gave it back to me. I submitted it to the Apprenticeship Board, once approved I applied for school, and once confirmation of my successful completion of school was received by my employer I received the appropriate pay increase. I don't remember it being all that difficult.

Collecting EI was far more time consuming and frustrating than the apprenticeship program ever proved to be.

dips87
01-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Ya I have been but it was very busy today for some reason at the board. But from what hearing I need them to get it filled out and go to the board

Thanks for all that help

Rat Fink
01-08-2014, 09:17 AM