PDA

View Full Version : No Bill of Sale for a Bike?

princessjet
01-07-2014, 05:46 PM
A friend bought a bike about 4 years ago, stuck it in storage right off the bat and has finally pulled the bike out to insure and register it.

He can't find his bill of sale, has no way of getting another copy of it and now he wants to know how you register a bike in AB without any proof you bought it?

Registry office says...you need the Bill of Sale otherwise no go.

Is there nothing else he can do?

Tik-Tok
01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Not that it's legal, but.... have another friend write a bill of sale.

englishbob
01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
The bill of sale does not have to be from the last owner.( hint).

Ven
01-07-2014, 06:33 PM
I had this exact same thing happen with a bike. I called the Registry and they said there's a declaration you can sign to get the machine registered. I did this and no problem. Ask for a manager right away instead of dealing with the "no" drones.

dannie
01-07-2014, 06:50 PM
One of two ways it can happen.

1) Your friend finds a way to have a Bill of Sale (as stated above). If this is the route you take, please... please, don't stand in the registry and forge the document. If you do this, do it before you come in. And yes, people attempt it all the time. Fucktards.

2) If the bike is worth less than $2500 a stat dec can be done in place of the bill of sale. If it is worth more than that, you MUST produce a bill of sale. If this is the route you choose to take, call the registry before hand to ensure there is a commissioner of oaths on staff during the time frame that you are planning on attending.

firebane
01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Depending on age of bike etc you may have issues with the VIN number as well. My bike is from 1974 and had so many previous owners and didn't get insured for so long the VIN is not in the system anymore.

I can't even insure my bike without going through an inspection first.

ercchry
01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
if you want to be legit about it you can always sell it back and forth between friends and bam, bill of sale

dannie
01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Depending on age of bike etc you may have issues with the VIN number as well. My bike is from 1974 and had so many previous owners and didn't get insured for so long the VIN is not in the system anymore.

I can't even insure my bike without going through an inspection first.

That is only applicable if it is an on road bike. Off road, we don't care at all. That being said, if it's an off road and the VIN does not come up in our database, you can bring the bike to the registry, the clerk can do a vin verify and register it (with required proof of ownership etc). If it's on road, ya... you're stuck doing an out of province inspection.

Originally posted by ercchry
if you want to be legit about it you can always sell it back and forth between friends and bam, bill of sale

Exactly :thumbsup:

ddduke
01-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Just write up your own bill of sale with a friend's name and just scribble a random signature on it. The registries never check and I've had to do this dozens of times, my friend uses my name all the time too when he loses bills of sales (at least 5 or 6 times a year his dealership loses them)

turbotrip
01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
yea fully legal way is for your friend to sell it to someone else. and then have them sell it back to him with a bill of sale

princessjet
01-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks all! Appreciate the help. :)