PDA

View Full Version : Aspen Woods

89coupe
01-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Interesting stats

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Aspen+Woods+leads+Calgary+house+price+hike+over+past+decade/9362915/story.html

CALGARY - The southwest community of Aspen Woods experienced the highest percentage growth in resale house prices over the past decade than all other neighbourhoods in the city, according to the Calgary Real Estate Board.

In a report, the board says the benchmark price, representing typical MLS home sales, was $903,400 in Aspen Woods in December, up a whopping 176.52 per cent over the last 10 years. In comparison, the benchmark price for all residential properties under CREB was $416,900, up 105.97 per cent in the past decade.

“As a resident of Aspen Woods myself, the area was first compelling because of its close proximity to the downtown and at the same time, offered easy access west to the mountains,” said Corinne Poffenroth, realtor with Sotheby’s International Realty Canada, who in 2013 sold the second most expensive property ever in the Calgary residential MLS system at $10.35 million in Aspen Woods.

“Over the last few years, the community has definitely evolved into an enticing, upscale neighbourhood attracting both young executives and families who appreciate the multiple renowned private schools located here”

She said the new extension of the West LRT has made commuting to downtown Calgary seamless and efficient. Poffenroth expects this price growth trend in the community to continue into the future.

According to the CREB report, the other top benchmark price increases in the past decade were: Victoria Park, $336,900, 175.82 per cent; West Springs, $649,100, 142.63 per cent; Upper Scarboro, $812,700, 141.42 per cent; and Cougar Ridge, $619,200, 141.27 per cent.

Ross Pavl, a realtor with RE/MAX House of Real Estate, said he tells first-time visitors to the area that Aspen Woods has grown in popularity as an upscale lifestyle community because it is only 15 to 20 minutes to downtown from the west side of Calgary, compared to the new communities in the far south and north that take longer and are more congested, especially in rush hour.

Aspen Woods is a master-planned community established in 2001, he said.

“The two larger estate areas of Aspen Estates and Aspen Woods Estates are the most desirable in Aspen Woods. They have fantastic curb appeal because of the larger lot sizes and strict architectural controls. You’ll find beautiful homes with French Country, Arts & Crafts as well as Modern themes here,” he said.

“Close to 50 per cent of my clients moved to the neighbourhood just because of the quality private schools such as Rundle College, Webber Academy and Calgary Academy.”

On a yearly basis, the benchmark price for CREB overall was up 8.74 per cent. The neighbourhoods with theh highest annual growth were: Connaught, $314,300, 24.55 per cent; Diamond Cove, $603,000, 23.23 per cent; West Dover, $271,200, 18.49 per cent; Castleridge Estates, $399,000, 17.26 per cent; and Radisson Heights, $310,600, 16.96 per cent.

Don Campbell, senior analyst with the Real Estate Investment Network, said Apsen Woods is now known as a more affluent neighbourhood with single-family homes and even some smaller acreage-based properties.

“We have seen the demand for the higher-end, luxury and lifestyle properties in the city skyrocket,” he said.

“Another factor of course, if you are looking at a decade length of statistics is that it is also one of the newer developed neighbourhoods, comparatively to those closer into the city, and therefore the statistics in the last 10 years will be skewed by beginning at a lower base. So the stats may look great but the context, given the average age of the neighbourhood, may be making it look better than it actually is.”

nickyh
01-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Once they build that Catholic school in the area those stats are going to get better and Aspen is going to go nuts with traffic (even more so...)

benyl
01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
The two larger estate areas of Aspen Estates and Aspen Woods Estates are the most desirable in Aspen Woods.

And that is why I say we live in Aspen Hood.

VWEvo
01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Live in Springbank now, but formerly lived in Aspen. Absolutely love the area, definitely tops in Calgary. Just opened a new dental clinic up the road on 85th st. and the families and clients we get are amazing.

89coupe
01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by benyl

And that is why I say we live in Aspen Hood.

Says the guy living in a $1.3million home, and drives an E63 AMG.

:rofl:

Beyond hard times, haha.

shakalaka
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
We've lived in that area for several years now, I've got to say that it has started to become too chaotic. With all the new shops popping up, we've been contemplating making the move to Springbank.

89coupe
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
We've lived in that area for several years now, I've got to say that it has started to become too chaotic. With all the new shops popping up, we've been contemplating making the move to Springbank.

Wait till that new outlet mall is built in Springbank, haha.

benyl
01-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Says the guy living in a $1.3million home, and drives an E63 AMG.

Beyond hard times, haha.

The guys in Aspen Estates live in $3-5 Million homes and drive MP4-12Cs

Like I said, Aspen Hood.

89coupe
01-08-2014, 11:07 AM

The guys in Aspen Estates live in $3-5 Million homes and drive MP4-12Cs

Like I said, Aspen Hood.

My Wife's co-worker lives in Aspen Estates, she drives an Austin Mini and your house is twice the size of hers.

You have a distorted view on reality.

Oh, and she has two children, not just one, and they both attend public schools. Haha

benyl
01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Last summer, we were walking in Aspen Estates and some guy pulled up in his MP4-12C and pulled into a garage. Behind him was a dude in a Lambo SL.

she might like the Mini.

You know those condos kitty corner from Westside? A lot of people paid over $1Million for them. Aspen Estates man. Different reality.

shakalaka
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Yea those condo's by Westside are ridiculously priced, but they are gorgeous and quite roomy from inside.

I remember one summer, I was outside my house doing something and I saw a middle aged white guy walk with his little kid on the side walk. The kid was pointing out every car that drove by and saying, 'dad look, a Mercedes', 'dad look, a BMW' etc. I was within earshot and heard the dad say, 'remember Tim, only poor people drive BMW's and Mercedes', your daddy drives an Aston Martin.'

Haha, I love our area.

nickyh
01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Last summer, we were walking in Aspen Estates and some guy pulled up in his MP4-12C and pulled into a garage. Behind him was a dude in a Lambo SL.

If this was a white MP4-12C, I know which house you are talking about - this would be closer to 14th correct? I've seen it a few times on the summer night walks as well.

benyl
01-08-2014, 12:33 PM
No, it was Orange.

He lived down the street from Brett Wilson's house.

nzwasp
01-08-2014, 12:47 PM
So the catholic school is supposed to be going above the safeway in that new housing area?

Hopefully it will have a larger catchment area for the folks like me who live on the sw side of 17th ave, as we arent technically aspen but pretty close.

89coupe
01-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I can't believe they are building a Catholic school, they need to abolish religion in schools.

Is there any truth to a Costco going in West Springs?

nickyh
01-08-2014, 01:08 PM
According to one development plan, there is a school site slated where the soccer fields are now, West of Safeway (where the new condo / old condo project is being built) - the 456 bus route goes by there.

Never heard about the Costco. That would be nice... but I would expect them to build a new one around Shawnessy first.

01RedDX
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Mibz
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
Never heard about the Costco. That would be nice... but I would expect them to build a new one around Shawnessy first. Really? Between Okotoks and Heritage I'd say the South is nicely covered for Costcos. Not that I'd complain.

Unless it was built South of Stoney. Then, yeah, I'd probably be like "Damn, this traffic sucks. Why'd they have to put a Costco here?"

Sugarphreak
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM

max_boost
01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Beyond Ballers approved. That's where Cos needs to move to and join the club. When is rage2 moving?

roopi
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Never heard about the Costco. That would be nice... but I would expect them to build a new one around Shawnessy first.

I can see that happening in Seton instead of Shawnessy

AndyL
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Isn't the costco supposed to be going in by COP? Wasn't that the cornerstone of that big box mall they've been trying to get pushed through development approvals?

nzwasp
01-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I hope they put it into westsprings. I hate driving to the se or nw for costco supplies.

nickyh
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I never go to the SE Costco, that place has to the worst in town.

Sometimes it's worth the drive to Cross Iron Costco to go to be able to shop in peace.

benyl
01-08-2014, 03:48 PM
SE Costco has gotten better. I haven't had to wait more than 1 or 2 people in line for a while.

NE Costco is the one I avoid at all costs. There is no parking and it is impossible to get in and out of the parking lot as the roads are so busy.

I hope they build one on the West end, but then again I don't. When we lived in Royal Oak, it was so easy to go to Beacon Hill that we ended up there every week. Now we go 1 or 2 times a month. Saves cash... lol

JLau
01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
CROSSIRON costco is the best

mrsingh
01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Beyond Ballers approved. That's where Cos needs to move to and join the club.

I'll move next door when I can build a house with a 4-car garage there too.

89coupe
01-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh

I'll move next door when I can build a house with a 4-car garage there too.

How wide of a lot would you need?

colinxx235
01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
^

Probably 12000 sq ft minimum to get 4 car. (assuming you are putting a 5000+ sq ft house like most of the ones in that area are that size)

All the ones on my street are 3 car on 10k sq-ft lots

89coupe
01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
There are massive lots available in The Heights in Aspen, easily accommodate a 4 car garage.

Xtrema
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I hope they put it into westsprings. I hate driving to the se or nw for costco supplies.

Worth it to go to Okotoks. All Costco in the city are crazy unless you go during weekdays 9 to 5.

Redlyne_mr2
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Did anyone notice the No frills they opened in Wentworth, I don't get why.

FraserB
01-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Did anyone notice the No frills they opened in Wentworth, I don't get why.

HELOC ballers have to shop somewhere.

benyl
01-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I don't get it either. I've been in there a few times. Their produce is 'B' grade and everything else is yellow. Their prices are better across the board, but when you have to toss half of what you bought, the value proposition just isn't there anymore.

nickyh
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I was there an hour before they were robbed, but it was a complete shock to see one there.

It's like stupid-store.. I just get angry and frustrated for really no real savings anyway.

nzwasp
01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I was there an hour before they were robbed, but it was a complete shock to see one there.

It's like stupid-store.. I just get angry and frustrated for really no real savings anyway.

wow didnt even know this happened. I wouldn't think people would get much money when robbing a grocery store these days, dont most people pay with credit/debit.

Mibz
01-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
wow didnt even know this happened. I wouldn't think people would get much money when robbing a grocery store these days, dont most people pay with credit/debit. A $200 grocery trip is pocket change for West folk.