PDA

View Full Version : Live lobster fail...

nzwasp
01-08-2014, 10:45 PM
So my wife ordered a bunch of lobsters for us and our friends to enjoy on saturday night. For what ever reason the company in NS shipped them yesterday to be delivered today. Supposed to be delivered friday while we were home.

Anyway good old purolater left a note saying we can pick them up tomorrow at 11am - they know they are live lobster.

Does anyone know if they are likely to still be alive at purolater?

Im guessing they arent.

AE92_TreunoSC
01-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Aren't they shipped drugged and dormant? when I worked at food shipping they were always still but very much alive. Packed in special foam containers.

You won't know until you see it in person I guess haha.

KRyn
01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Please post upon opening the container containing dead or alive lobsters. :rofl:

blitz
01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I think you should film it like an unboxing video.

mr2mike
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
They are packed in special containers. What's another day? They're in special transport containers.
Saturday is a few days away, what would you do any different with them? Feed them and put them in a proper salt water enclosure?

FYI: If they taste like ammonia, as in they taste like you sprayed windex all over them, they've been dead too long. Had a run in with a seafood place serving lobsters in that state.

http://marloelaine.com/dont-eat-that-lobster

CanmoreOrLess
01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
My Puro contact says they get the live seafood out of the warehouse ASAP, like within hours of arriving. They are delicate even in the special packing containers. You are getting a lobster that was packed days ago. Better have a back up plan.

D'z Nutz
01-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I think you should film it like an unboxing video.

I think unboxing videos are fucking stupid, but in this case it's a suggestion I can get behind haha

lilmira
01-09-2014, 10:46 AM
1giVzxyoclE

DeeK
01-09-2014, 12:54 PM
I worked at Purolator for a few years. We used to get live lobster all the time. They were kept cold to keep them dormant, but those shitty styrofoam packages would break open all the time. The lobsters would get loose and it doesn't take long for them to warm up, next thing you know the lobsters were having races on the conveyor belts.

Most of the time Purolator had special coolers to put the lobsters in because of how many of these packages broke open. Occasionally lobsters would get loose just before the pinch points in the conveyor system. Exploding lobsters are a pain to clean up, and smell even worse.

On a side note, if you knew that you weren't going to be home why have them delivered to your house? Just have them held for pick up or get them sent to a purolator depot?

Kloubek
01-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Seven. Such a good movie.

variance
01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I asked my friend Schrödinger and he said that before you open the box to check, he can tell you right now that your lobsters are both dead and alive.

Rat Fink
01-09-2014, 01:42 PM

nzwasp
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
I worked at Purolator for a few years. We used to get live lobster all the time. They were kept cold to keep them dormant, but those shitty styrofoam packages would break open all the time. The lobsters would get loose and it doesn't take long for them to warm up, next thing you know the lobsters were having races on the conveyor belts.

Most of the time Purolator had special coolers to put the lobsters in because of how many of these packages broke open. Occasionally lobsters would get loose just before the pinch points in the conveyor system. Exploding lobsters are a pain to clean up, and smell even worse.

On a side note, if you knew that you weren't going to be home why have them delivered to your house? Just have them held for pick up or get them sent to a purolator depot?

Well we thought they were going to be delivered on friday so didnt know they were coming yesterday.

Anyway we picked them up today from purolater, they had just been sitting in the warehouse all night, in a cooler with ice packs. They were fresh off the boat on tuesday afternoon.

They were all live still thank god, and we cooked them up at 10am this morning. Saving six of them for dinner (they are in the fridge at the moment). We ordered 14 more for our lobster party on saturday that arrive tomorrow.

We dont have an unboxing video but i do have photos:

http://imgur.com/a/VqyYC

sputnik
01-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
They were all live still thank god, and we cooked them up at 10am this morning. Saving six of them for dinner (they are in the fridge at the moment).

What a waste of fresh lobster.

The whole point of buying live lobster is so that you don't have to eat pre-cooked lobster.

nzwasp
01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

What a waste of fresh lobster.

The whole point of buying live lobster is so that you don't have to eat pre-cooked lobster.

Oh they will be fresh tonight and on saturday.

We just didnt have people that wanted to eat the 8 additional ones. So we'll freeze that stuff.

sputnik
01-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Re-read your post. Makes more sense now.

raceman6135
01-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by variance
I asked my friend Schrödinger and he said that before you open the box to check, he can tell you right now that your lobsters are both dead and alive.

Bwahahaha!! Clever :thumbsup:

The_Penguin
01-09-2014, 07:59 PM

:clap: Post of the day.

bignerd
01-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Where did you order them from?

nzwasp
01-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Lobsterbroker.ca

revelations
01-09-2014, 10:20 PM

These are quantum state lobsters?? my GOD !!

ga16i
01-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Aren't lobsters one of those things that are biologically immortal? Provided that they don't suffocate, drown or get their heads removed.

There can be only one!

nzwasp
01-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I can't belive this, my wife waited all day at home for our next shipment of lobsters, they tried to deliver at 12pm and then updated their system at 5pm to say they couldn't find our house. The number is written clear as day. And we told them to call us when they got to our street.

Now apparently its coming before 8pm! System still shows a problem with the house number though

Darell_n
01-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
Aren't lobsters one of those things that are biologically immortal? Provided that they don't suffocate, drown or get their heads removed.

There can be only one!

They don't die from old age, everything else kills them just fine.