PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Acrobat XI - cheapest place to buy

FixedGear
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
I've been using Acrobat 9 since like 2008, but I guess they finally stopped updating it since I get an error trying to load PDFs in Chrome, and the update won't install. So, I need to buy Acrobat XI pro. I can get it for $69 through my work. does anyone know of a cheaper source by any chance?

Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

asd913
01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
You only need to buy pro if you are making pdf's. If all you do is view pdfs, there are a lot of free pdf viewers out there (acrobat viewer, foxit, chrome itself, etc).

I own acrobat 9 pro (update says version is 9.5.5) and don't get any sort of errors opening any pdfs. Are you sure the problem is acrobat?

sputnik
01-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Unless you REALLY need to create Adobe Acrobat PDFs with features unique to Adobe I wouldn't bother.

There are lots of free PDF convertors out there. So if the only thing you are doing is converting an DOC file to PDF, use a free one. I use Bullzip myself and it works great.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-pdf-writer.htm

FixedGear
01-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I am a PDF power user (:rofl: ) and work with them all day long, and I do need to view and create as well as comment, highlight, etc. etc. etc. I am aware of the other applications, but would really like to stick with Adobe.

Yea I don't know what is going on with Acrobat. It works fine in standalone mode, and when I click on update, it says the software is up to date. However, if I try to open a PDF in Chrome, I get an error:

Adobe Reader was blocked because it is out of date. I then get an option to "Update plug-in..." or "Run this time."

If I select "update", it brings me to an adobe page to download Adobe Reader 11.0.05. When I download the file (AdbeRdrSecUpd11005), I get an error from Windows Installer "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to by upgraded may be missing, or the update patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

If I select "Run this time", I get an error "Adobe Acrobat has crashed", unless I have the standalone application running in the background, in which case it loads fine.

When I look in chrome://plugins, I see this:
Adobe Reader - Version: 9.5.5.316 Download Critical Security Update
Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.5"

revelations
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Your plug ins have to match the version as the installed program. The plugins are updating themselves past the major version you have installed.

I would dump Adobe PDF reader for Chrome, use Foxit PDF reader - and then keep the old version of Adobe for PDF creating and editing.

jwslam
01-09-2014, 10:47 AM
XI does have a BUCKET load more features. i.e. email attachments is something we use all the time here at my work

FixedGear
01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
^^yea. also, i think you can export PDFs into word format, which would be super useful.

thanks for the replies everyone, i'll probably buy the XI which is a great deal at $69. just hoping i could find it cheaper as i like to save my $$$ whenever possible. :bigpimp: