PDA

View Full Version : very easy to make bachelor food

GTS Jeff
02-27-2004, 01:39 AM
FAJITAS! cheap enough, filling, good tasting, and most importantly, easy to make.

do this:

buy the tortillas (pick a color u like), buy lettuce, onions, a green pepper (or whatever color u want), shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and some steak (get the best kind u can afford) or chicken (dark meat is tastier).

make the steak or chicken like usual (season it!) and cut it into strips. cook the onions with the steak too, but be careful not to caramelize the onions. them put it all into the tortilla and ure done! u can heat up the tortilla shell if u want.

the trick is to pile lots of meat into one fajita so that it can barely be folded. eat 2 or 3 and ull be done for awhile.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ps. if its morning, u can go breakfast styles and add scrambled eggs into the mix.

buh_buh
02-27-2004, 01:41 AM
thats too much work man.
If I can't cook it in the microwave in less than 3 minutes its too long and too much work:D

gpomp
02-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Picking up the phone and getting delivery is easy too.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-27-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
thats too much work man.
If I can't cook it in the microwave in less than 3 minutes its too long and too much work:D :werd: Sapporo Ichiban for life !!

GTS Jeff
02-27-2004, 01:44 AM
fuck u bastards

buh_buh
02-27-2004, 01:46 AM
we're just lazy. Not really bastards haha.

Redlyne_mr2
02-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Homemade fajitas rule Jeff Im with ya! I use chicken in mine, Im not sure what spices to use however so I always end up using greek seasoning..any recomendations?

missblondie
02-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Homemade fajitas rule Jeff Im with ya! I use chicken in mine, Im not sure what spices to use however so I always end up using greek seasoning..any recomendations?

i have kindof established a seasoning mix that tastes really good, and is quite authentic

-salt & pepper to taste
-garlic
-cummin (just a little)
-chili powder
-lime or lemon juice (just a little)
-cilantro
- and the key ingredient... a small amount of mustard ( i know this sounds crazy but it makes the taste GREAT)

I promise that this combination of flavors will make a great seasoning to your fajitas

ExtremeSi
02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Ya I do this all the time but i go the easier route. No cooking, just pre-sliced pepperoni and grated cheese, mayo, lettuce, and whatever else you want to throw in that you have in your fridge. Takes 1minute guaranteed. Just doesn't taste quite as good:tongue:

ramminghard
02-27-2004, 05:49 PM
season chicken with montreal chicken seasoning

t3rry
02-27-2004, 06:03 PM
chicken fingers + deep fryer + 3 minutes = Full tummy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

spyguy
02-27-2004, 06:31 PM
actually make nachos is quite easy...

nachos
pre-shredded cheese
tomatos
green peppers
salsa
sour cream
if you want add ground beef

then microwave it...

shouldnt take that long

GTS Jeff
02-27-2004, 06:45 PM

hm i just throw whatever seasonnig in i have...usually the salsa taste is overpowering anyway.

Originally posted by spyguy
actually make nachos is quite easy...

nachos
pre-shredded cheese
tomatos
green peppers
salsa
sour cream
if you want add ground beef

then microwave it...

shouldnt take that long

:werd: that is exactly how all the restaurants do it too.

BebeAphrodite
02-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
thats too much work man.
If I can't cook it in the microwave in less than 3 minutes its too long and too much work:D
:werd: that's a lot of work for one small meal... I'd rather go and buy a fajita than to wash everything, cut it up, and put it together.

Originally posted by t3rry
chicken fingers + deep fryer + 3 minutes = Full tummy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
you have a deep fryer?

t3rry
02-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

you have a deep fryer?

yea, you can get them cheap from walmart and stuff, like $60 for a decent one

EK 2.0
02-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Picking up the phone and getting delivery is easy too.

See easier and a lot of decent dining establishments will deliver your meals Jeff...

BebeAphrodite
02-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by t3rry

yea, you can get them cheap from walmart and stuff, like $60 for a decent one

doesn't it stink up your house?

EK 2.0
02-27-2004, 07:26 PM

It does when you make E.I. Stuff...

rogue
02-27-2004, 07:31 PM
haha all ei stuff stinks up the house (if the window is open the whole street will get a nice aroma) bit i like most of teh smells. Pho can really smell a place up to if you havent noticed :D

t3rry
02-27-2004, 07:32 PM

no, it has filters and stuff on it

Redlyne_mr2
02-27-2004, 08:10 PM
McCain fries taste awesome in a deep fryer, the only way to prepare them.... and if you have a decent deep fryer it doesnt make any smell. We also have a turkey deep fryer makes the best turkey ever

ehos
02-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Being a bachelor sucks :)

GTS Jeff
02-27-2004, 10:10 PM

:werd: that's a lot of work for one small meal... I'd rather go and buy a fajita than to wash everything, cut it up, and put it together.

well me too, but lets consider the cost of both.

buying fajita - $15. time to prepare - 3 minutes.
making fajita - $5. time to prepare - 20 minutes.

what u are saying is that u would rather give up $10 than to spend an extra 17 minutes (17 MINUTES!!) out of your 1440 minute day (thats 1% of the day) on making food for yourself. now i dont know about u, but i personally have better uses for $10 than for saving 17 minutes that id otherwise be wasting anyway. i really dont have money to burn, but then again, maybe thats just me. another thing is that im positive that a fresh, homemade meal would turn out better than some log-shaped brown poo microwaved for 2:30 on medium. finally, i take some comfort in knowing how to cook, just in case i end up with a microwave-wife :D

Originally posted by CycloneAWD

See easier and a lot of decent dining establishments will deliver your meals Jeff... bling bling

Redlyne_mr2
02-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Plus I dont know about you Jeff but my homemade fajitas rival anything out there. For $15 worth of groceries you have supplies to make a weeks worth of fajitas, it all adds up when youre living on your own, I hate spending money on food

szw
02-27-2004, 10:45 PM
if you want to make it easier replace all the meat and vegetables with a hotdog.

-250-
02-28-2004, 02:34 AM
I cut up the beef (I use flank steak, lower part) <--- cheap cut of beef, that is really flavourful.

I put it in the pan with a wee bit of peanut or sesame seed oil, then after it is seired, I put in the onions, and cook it till they are slightly translucent, then I put in 3 table spoons of tomato PASTE, w/ cummin, corriander, chilli powder, and a WEE bit of safron powder w/ some sort of liquid, generally I use water, but if I am feeling rich, I use balsamic vinegar & water.

I braise it for 5 min, and its done (the meat), then I asemble it as usual, I find it comes out more tender and juicy (the meat), and I really dont like my meat without sauce, it just doesnt taste right.

If I am feeling healthy i'll so the same, except with mushrooms, green peppers, and really REALLY thinly sliced carrot (simulates the beef).

mo_virgin
02-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Guys... the ONLY way to go is the Foreman grill... make everything!!! steak... panini... salmon... any grilled meat...

As easy as a microwave... as good as bar b q

5- 6 min for anything

three.eighteen.
02-28-2004, 04:36 AM
those grilly dealies do not compare to a bbq

mo_virgin
02-28-2004, 10:10 AM
True... But there is NO work

Ajay
02-28-2004, 10:54 AM
McCain fries taste awesome in a deep fryer, the only way to prepare them.... and if you have a decent deep fryer it doesnt make any smell. We also have a turkey deep fryer makes the best turkey ever

The best fries are homeade fries. Just simply cutting up some potatoes, throwing them in the deep fryer and seasoning with seasoning salt when they're done.......:drool:

ehos
02-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Yup, it's a wierd world. Some smart guy took 2cent potatoes and figured out how to sell them for 3 bucks a bag.

Buying store fries in a bag is just stupid. Take a potatoe, cut it up (you don't even have to skin it!) and put it into hot oil.

How hard is that?

No wonder we're such 'consumers'.

/////AMG
02-28-2004, 02:27 PM
:werd: George Foreman Grill is so damn easy to make stuff in! and the food taste goooood :drool:

hjr
02-28-2004, 02:43 PM
when i make fajitas there is generally sooo much left over it will last me up to and over 3 days. it totally worth the 5-10 bucks i spend on the ingredients. Also, its an initial 15-20 mins to make it. The next day, everything is already cooked and mixed so you serve a portion, heat it up then throw in the shell and your ready to go in less than 5.

ps-When i make fajitas i like to add rice to the mix. cook it then add it to you onion, peppers meat and whatever. soaks up the flavor and is soooooooo tasty.

XylathaneGTR
02-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Fuck, im getting hungry just reading this...better hit the store...I think i'll try this tonight when i get home from work...

BebeAphrodite
02-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ehos
Yup, it's a wierd world. Some smart guy took 2cent potatoes and figured out how to sell them for 3 bucks a bag.

Buying store fries in a bag is just stupid. Take a potatoe, cut it up (you don't even have to skin it!) and put it into hot oil.

How hard is that?

No wonder we're such 'consumers'.
It's the convenience!!! :)

James
02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
good idea jeff :thumbsup:, i'll have to try that soon........my thing i make alot is casseroles( well, KD and ground beef, with lots of spices)......stuff like that, and make enough to bring some to work the next day, most bahelors i have ever worked with go out for lunch every day, no wonder they are broke....thier spending a few hundred a month just on lunch!

ehos
02-28-2004, 10:01 PM
But, but, a potatoe! POTATOE! :)

It's so much more convenient to grab one, hack it up and throw it in oil then..

Get dressed (I love my house, I don't dress), go outside in the COLD, go to the store, PAY MONEY (boo!), come home, cook the things..

I say we boycott bagged fries, they're the evil that will bring down our society.

XylathaneGTR
03-01-2004, 11:47 PM
wow...that was yummmmmmy.
Great post.

Roaring G60
03-02-2004, 12:17 AM

Why not just get real fajita seasoning?????? Plus you have never had a fajita until you've had one from papasito's in Houston!!! Or Maria's in Huntington Beach

GTS Jeff
03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
wow...that was yummmmmmy.
Great post. haha u actually made fajitas after this thread?

sputnik
03-02-2004, 08:17 AM
any recomendations?

The Taco Time seasoning in the Mexican food isle.

T5_X
03-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Something similar to fajitas, but which requires slightly more work are quesadillas.

Just stir fry diced chicken, onions and peppers and any other veggies you like that work well in stir fry. Add mexican chilie powder or other sauce/seasoning of your choice (spicy asian sauces like satay sauce work well too). You can even add some cooked rice or noodles here if you want if you're making an asian quesadilla.

Spkinkle 1/2 of a tortilla shell with cheese, put stir fry mixture on top of cheese, then sprinkle cheese on top again.

Fold other 1/2 of tortilla over, then put on a large non-stick frying pan. Cook till both sides of the tortilla are lightly browned.

sputnik
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

buying fajita - $15. time to prepare - 3 minutes.
making fajita - $5. time to prepare - 20 minutes.

:werd:

I used to eat out all of the time. Cooking more regularily left me with a few extra hundred every month.

Guys who can cook rule. I constantly laugh at the guys that cook for their girlfriends once a year to be "romanitic" when i cook dinner for mine 3-4 times a week.

BloNdie
03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
GTS....judging by your newest bachlor food thread...it isnt as easy as it seems!