PDA

View Full Version : Multiple connections to TV on wall

Euro_Trash
01-10-2014, 07:17 AM
I am a bit of an AV rookie, so bare with me. I am planning to hang a TV on the wall in our living room. The wall is already wired for power and RCA cable, which as I understand will not transmit HD so I am going to switch to an HD cable. I want to have multiple video sources connected to the TV (PVR, PS, apple TV, etc) so my question is: am I stuck using a receiver with a single connection to the TV, or can I run multiple HD cables through the wall to the TV?

triplep
01-10-2014, 07:42 AM
It all depends on what TV you have.

IF you have a TV with multiple HDMI inputs, you can run multiple HD cables through the wall.

If you don't, and only have 1 HDMI input, I would suggest maybe getting a HDMI input switch.

Something like this:
http://www.parts-express.com/hdmi-auto-switch-with-ir-remote-5-port--180-587

Would work, I can't recall of the top of my head, but if you are planning on doing 3D you need a HDMI V1.4 splitter... the one that I showed is a V1.3 and I don't think those are 3D capable... but I may be incorrect.

Euro_Trash
01-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Interesting, never seen one of those before. I have not bought a TV yet but I am assuming most newer TV's have multiple HD connections. I am just not sure if there is a clean way to run multiple cables. That switch is definitely a good option.

wtf im nameless
01-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Run HDMI and a couple of CAT6 cables from where you want your devices to your TV. You can either use a switch or receiver for the HDMI switching. The CAT6 cables can be used for internet to the TV, for IR control of the TV, or for future use when HDBaseT replaces HDMI.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2014, 08:35 AM
If you don't have drywall up yet, absoloutley run as many cables as you can.
I ran two HDMI cables, put up the drywall, then destroyed both HDMI cables. I needed to use these:
http://images.monoprice.com/productmediumimages/38501.jpg

Snapped the connectors off both cables. Did you know those are non repairable? True story.

Luckily I had Cat6 in there as well, so I got it working, but it was a lot more hassle than I was planning on.

Do you need those angled port saver connectors? Better figure it out.

triplep
01-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless
or for future use when HDBaseT replaces HDMI.

Never heard of this before you posted, so I looked it up, don't you think this is pretty pointless? Aside from the fact you can run it way longer then a HDMI? In most peoples application wouldn't this just be another box to add to the pile?

I understand if I was running this say 50M from my sources to the TV.

But at 5M tops, most receivers these days will do the same thing that these added boxes would do no?

Just trying to understand it.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
One advantage of putting HDMI signals down cat6 cables instaead of HDMI is that the cables are much cheaper to manufacture and are more easily repairable because they have fewer conductors. HDMI cables have 19 conductors, and those are bundled in five or six individually sheilded groups. It's a nightmare when you cut it open. Cat6 is a breeze in comparison, and can be field terminated by almost anyone.

I've asked around, and as far as I know, nobody does field terminating of HDMI cables, because theya re too finicky abotu the sheilding. The ability to have your installer do the terminations means custom length cables for eavery in-wall job is no extra cost. That's a big advantage in my books.

HDMI Cables are pretty cheap, but Cat6 is far cheaper.

So, HDMI isn't "bad" by any means, but HDbaseT is better in nearly every way. I really hope it becomes the new standard.

spike98
01-10-2014, 09:50 AM
I would do it like this...

TV <----> HDBaseT receiver (wall plate)<---> 1 cat6 behind wall to devices <---> HDBaseT HDMI Matrix <---> devices

For future expansion i would go with a 4x4 matrix but you can do with a 1x2 or 1x4 if thats all you need.

With a 4x4 if you decide that you want a TV in another room, you just add a cat6 cable and HDBaseT receiver and you have access to all of the devices on the matrix. They all come with IR as well so device switching at the TV is easy.

As for HDbaseT being pointless...over one Cat6 you can run full 4k 3D video, 7.1DTS audio, IR, and 100baseT ethernet. Pretty much everything you would ever need in a single Cat6.

taemo
01-10-2014, 10:36 AM
you can run as many cables as you want on the wall but it all depends on how many HDMI ports does your TV have and how many devices you are planning to run to your TV?

I'm personally using a HDMI Switch because I don't own a HD receiver and am using a Z-5500 speakers that connects via fiber or coax only.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32090

Have PS3, WDTV and Shaw receiver plugged into it and am getting 5.1 DTS surround.
The LED light is so bright thoug that I had to put some gaffer tape to cover the lights.

codetrap
01-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
I am a bit of an AV rookie, so bare with me. I am planning to hang a TV on the wall in our living room. The wall is already wired for power and RCA cable, which as I understand will not transmit HD so I am going to switch to an HD cable. I want to have multiple video sources connected to the TV (PVR, PS, apple TV, etc) so my question is: am I stuck using a receiver with a single connection to the TV, or can I run multiple HD cables through the wall to the TV? Personally, I think the receiver with multiple ports makes more sense. Then you're not running a bunch of cables back and forth to get sound from your TV to your speakers. This is the way that I went, and then I just use my harmony remote to control everything, including the HTPC.

One device to rule them all!