PDA

View Full Version : Co-axial cable jack...

16hypen3sp
01-10-2014, 03:26 PM
My builder just finished my house and all that is left to do is a general clean up. It looks great and I have my final walk through next week.

I noticed today that the co ax jacks aren't actually jacks, they are just faceplates. I noticed this on other new builds as well.

Do builders leave this part up to the tv/internet service installers or what goes on?

Zhariak
01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
When you were in the process of design with the builder, did you mention you wanted cables run and the jacks terminated?

16hypen3sp
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I dont think so. If the cables were run then why the need to face plates?

What I did tell them was I wanted my electrical outlet mounted high and a tube running from there down to where my pvr and stuff is going to sit. I assuming that an HDMI cable will run inside this tube from the tv to the pvr. Pvr needs to be hooked up to whatever it hooks up to in the wall.

firebane
01-10-2014, 04:09 PM
If its a blank plate the wire could be behind and you'll need to get a female to female plate to hook things up.

If the plate has the coaxial threads it maybe a female to female again and just need to be hooked up.

Akumaz
01-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I just took possession last month, and I had the same "issue"
however, this is their standard practice (as per electrical contractors and shaw), and it will be hooked up by your provider

so in short, it is normal

16hypen3sp
01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Akumaz
I just took possession last month, and I had the same "issue"
however, this is their standard practice (as per electrical contractors and shaw), and it will be hooked up by your provider

so in short, it is normal

ok thanks.

wtf im nameless
01-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Hopefully your builder ran ethernet cables in addition to the coax.

stillworking
01-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm in new houses all the time and good builders will have everything terminated in the rooms and everything will be labelled at the panel.

Other builders will just put blank faceplates.

What's important to keep in mind is that your tv/internet/phone provider will not go around your whole house and terminate every outlet. If you have ordered 2 cable boxes, you will get 2 coax wall plates installed where you plan to watch TV at time of install. Anything else is extra, do it yourself, or another service call.

Many times, along with the coax cable will be a network cable and/or phone line.
The technician that arrives to install your services will almost certainly not be supplying the specialty wall plates needed to properly terminate what's behind there, let alone making sure each room in the house correctly terminated. Although that can vary slightly from company to company and tech to tech.
I have ofter seen the cable guy cover up the phone and network line with a standard coax cable wall plate.

EK69
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
^ that makes sense. U call shaw cable to install shit then they will install what u need to view their shit (cable coax plates) where ur tv is. If u call for internet then they install minimum necessary to get wifi working and the rest is up to the homeowner?

makes sense to me that the builder or home owner finishes the proper terminations and plates ?

As far as that being standard practice then that's gay the builder should do it when they ran the lines for everything obviously u want to have all lines terminated and proper faceplates