PDA

View Full Version : Building Garage in Calgary

pfis300
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a house but my main concern is finding the perfect garage for myself - which in Calgary is a terribly expensive and/or hard to find thing. This has led me to the search for a home with no garage but with access to the rear of the lot. I am wondering what it would cost for a garage that is 24x24 or 22x26 or 22x28 - something around that size if not bigger depending on cost.

What I would be looking for in the garage would be:
-14' Ceilings
-Insulated/drywalled
-A concrete pad that could handle the installation of a car hoist
-Wired for 220
-Gas line ran into garage for heater
-Plumbed for sink (debatable depending on how hard it proves to be)
-Man door
-Garage door+ opener
-Exhaust hose (debatable depending on cost)

I am budgeting $40,000 for this - is this reasonable?

-----------------------
Next Concern:

I know that the price of the garage is going to vary depending on building materials and the builder themselves. Does anyone have EXPERIENCE dealing with a builder who build them a garage and prices/info/pictures on their build?

Any help is welcome, but please keep it factual.

schurchill39
01-12-2014, 10:37 PM
I think your 40k budget is more than reasonable for what you want. I am looking at the same criteria (minus the sink) but will be building it myself and have about 20k budgeted which from all my research is definitely in the right ball park. Double that for trades to do it and you're golden.

I don't have any recommendations on builders but there are TONS out there. My only suggestions would be to book early as come spring time everyone will be ramping up to build and you don't want to wait half of the summer for it.

ExtraSlow
01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Concrete seems to be a major problem for some people. One of my neighbors built a harage themselves last summer. Waited six weeks for concrete. That really messed up thier schedule, since they were doing all the work in evenings and weekends. It meant they were still doing roofing and siding well into October.

Anyway, seems like GAL Concrete does smaller jobs, at least, they did that one. A short pony wall could be a good investment. I know I'd include one on any garage I built.