PDA

View Full Version : vacuum advice

3drian
01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Hey there guys, I am currently in the market for a new vacuum, and I would like to see what everyone recommends and uses.

I read a thread here about Dyson vacuums, but I dont really want to spend $500+ on a Vacuum. I live in a small Condo so there is not much to clean.

My budget is anywhere between 200-300 bucks.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

CorollaXRS
01-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Costco - Electronlux - around $100. its cordless and a mini version that can pop out and use for small stuff.

speedog
01-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Miele but the one we have is most definitely down in your price range.

dj_rice
01-12-2014, 06:57 PM
I have a Shark one from Canadian Tire.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shark-canister-vacuum-with-air-turbine-0436835p.html#.UtM52vuRiRg

Works good, has good suction and goes on sale frequently.

CanmoreOrLess
01-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Posted a few days ago on WireCutter, tons of testing and reviews lead to a couple of solid choices. Keep in mind, if you buy a good vacuum you'll have it for many years. Also, do you need it to vacuum out your vehicles every now and then?:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-home-vacuum-cleaner/

01RedDX
01-12-2014, 07:29 PM

codetrap
01-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Here's a link to the consumer reports page...

http://www.codetrap.net/binaries/Upright vacuum cleaner Ratings Reliability.pdf

CR's Take

Notwithstanding this bagless upright's Animal name, this lightweight Dyson vacuum was only so-so at picking up pet hair in our tests--and best-suited for cleaning bare floors. It was top-notch at keeping in its emissions and had impressive airflow for tools. And Dyson has been among the more reliable brands of upright vacuums. But besides its mediocre performance on carpets, there are other minuses: no manual pile-height adjustment (better for matching the brush to the surface) or suction control, which helps protects drapes when using tools, and the bin is small.

Highs
• Performs well when cleaning bare floors, ideal for kitchens, bathrooms, and hardwood floors
• Excels at capturing all the dust it picks up, important if you have allergies or other respiratory illnesses
• Strong tool airflow, which matters if you will be using the vacuums accessories for cleaning
• Has a brush on/off switch, which safeguards bare floors and prevents scattering of dust and debris

Lows
• Requires manually emptying the bin, which is messier and sometimes presents problems for those with allergies or other respiratory issues
• Lacks a manual carpet-height adjustment, which is better than automatic systems at matching the brush to the surface
• Lacks suction control, which helps protect drapes when using tools

Owner Review:
Overall quality has diminished from previous models. Vacuum latch often doesn't grip resulting in handle falling. Plastic wheels squeak. Vacuum tips when using hose attachments. A plastic piece broke from base causing vacuum to steer crooked. Manuvering ball awkward and it can't reach under furniture. To maintain proper suction user is suppose to take apart and handwash filter piece which is disgusting. Very messy when emptying can and usually have to vacuum again after doing so because no matter how careful, it creates a mess. Suction really not that much better than other vacuum I have had. In shop for 2nd time in 10mos and will take 2-4 weeks because they are full of Dysons of all styles and colors to be repaired.