PDA

View Full Version : New to Calgary need Car Help: Garage, Mechanics, Parts Stores, ETC

ha9981
01-13-2014, 12:08 AM
I moved to Alberta this year from Ontario for a coop term here. I recently bought a 2002 Honda Civic and need to have some work done. Here are my questions:

-Recommended Mechanics in NE? (Low priority question there are several recommendations elsewhere)
-What is the labor rate here?
-Are there any places to rent a garage? (I can do most maintenance and repairs but don't have space here)
-Anyone give me an idea how much they paid for timing belt (parts & labor separate) on a Honda Civic or comparable Honda?

Currently it seems my passenger side front brakes are seized either due to siezed caliper or caliper pins brackets needing cleaning.

-Recommend any maintenance brakes focused garage that will give me a good diagnostic (can do myself but got no space) and estimate for a fair price?

I think my best bet it to get someone to clean out the brakes on that side and see if it fixes. Else I will order new calipers online and get them installed.

relyt92
01-13-2014, 12:15 AM
Depending where in the NE you are go see Ravi at Minute Muffler. He's on 32nd street NE just east of Deerfoot.

Hage69
01-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ha9981
I moved to Alberta this year from Ontario for a coop term here. I recently bought a 2002 Honda Civic and need to have some work done. Here are my questions:

-Recommended Mechanics in NE? (Low priority question there are several recommendations elsewhere)
Ravi at minute muffler & brake on 32nd
-What is the labor rate here?
Last time I checked, the average was around $120/hr
-Are there any places to rent a garage? (I can do most maintenance and repairs but don't have space here)
U-wrench. Search them up.
-Anyone give me an idea how much they paid for timing belt (parts & labor separate) on a Honda Civic or comparable Honda?
I have 2 at home, 02 and 04. Did one at t&t $700 and some for timing belt, water pump etc... Other one took to Pompers in forest lawn, $500 and a bit for the same thing.

Currently it seems my passenger side front brakes are seized either due to siezed caliper or caliper pins brackets needing cleaning.

-Recommend any maintenance brakes focused garage that will give me a good diagnostic (can do myself but got no space) and estimate for a fair price?
Ravi at minute muffler & brake

I think my best bet it to get someone to clean out the brakes on that side and see if it fixes. Else I will order new calipers online and get them installed.

Read under your questions.

revelations
01-13-2014, 01:20 AM
+2 for U wrench in the NE , but havent really used them since I got my garage and my own tools.

G-ZUS
01-13-2014, 10:09 AM
As said above, Ravi @ Minute Muffler for mechanic, U-wrench for DIY and for parts Rockauto.com if you can wait a week

Hallowed_point
01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
+1 to both Ravi @ MM & U-Wrench (Andre the South African Mechanic
is awesome and very helpful!)

CompletelyNumb
01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
As said above, Ravi @ Minute Muffler for mechanic, U-wrench for DIY and for parts Rockauto.com if you can wait a week

:werd:

All you need right there.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
URL REMOVED - I am a spammer! also tends to have good parts prices and reasonable/free shipping but somewhat limited and variable selection. Returns/exchanges can be a hassle, though.

Edit: So, today I learned Autopartsway's Canadian URL gets caught in the spam filter. How embarrassing! I resent these accusations.

jwslam
01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ha9981
Harbour on 32nd. Exactly a 2002 Civic (Si though).
~$480 all in AFAICR

lee88
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
+1 for harbor on 32nd ave