PDA

View Full Version : Video playback freezing/running choppy

GTS4tw
01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Hoping to find some help as this is most annoying. Whenever I am watching any video, on any site, or even gifs on this forum, the video will "freeze" every few seconds or so. The sound keeps playing and the video will catch up, but it will freeze the image for about half a second, then skip forward to catch the sound. Makes it terrible for watching anything as the freeze always seems to happen at the most important parts. If I rewind the video then it might play the part that previously froze, or it might freeze again. It is not due to buffering as this happens just as much if the video is fully buffered.

Any ideas? It has rendered Youtube totally unwatchable, and I have gone on tons of sites with videos, same result.

mr2mike
01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
What about clearing your cookies and cache on the computer?
Programs running in the background?

Try a different web browser and see if it's the same?

revelations
01-13-2014, 10:04 AM
what browser? latest versions of Flash installed?

movies play ok on the pc? (eg dvd)

GTS4tw
01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by revelations
what browser? latest versions of Flash installed?

movies play ok on the pc? (eg dvd)

Firefox, with adblock plus running. Flash says it is updated.

I dont have a DVD player on this computer, but I can download and play videos on VLC media player without this issue.

GTS4tw
01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
What about clearing your cookies and cache on the computer?
Programs running in the background?

Try a different web browser and see if it's the same?

I guess i'll give away my computer illiterateness here... how do you clear cookies and cache? Is this in Firefox?

The only program running in the background is Steam. I dont have any other web browser installed but I could download something and try that, I would just rather not switch to IE unless they have a way of blocking ads now too?

mr2mike
01-14-2014, 02:26 PM
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Deleting+cookies

For cache, just click the box for it when you clear cookies.

Barring that, try to reinstall from the mozilla site. It should retain your bookmarks, etc.

v2kai
01-15-2014, 04:32 PM
not sure about other sites, but youtube center addon for firefox and the dash load feature might help

revelations
01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
try it in IE as well

check your FF addons, some might be the cause

GTS4tw
01-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by revelations
try it in IE as well

check your FF addons, some might be the cause

Yeah, I cleared cookies and re-installed firefox, but I still have the same addons. I guess I will have to re-install IE and test that out, is there a way to block ads on there?

GTS4tw
01-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
not sure about other sites, but youtube center addon for firefox and the dash load feature might help

Its not just Youtube, but ill try that too, didnt know there was an addon for youtube.

rlim891
01-18-2014, 12:05 PM
odd case, rootkit issues sometime will cause choppy videos on youtube.

if you are still experiencing the problem using IE or chome, scan your pc using kaspersky TDSS kiler.