PDA

View Full Version : Market for AP2 S2000

Modelexis
01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Wondering if someone who has been following the market on these cars to share some buying tips.

What time of year will you typically see the largest selection for sale?

I'll post more questions as they come to mind.
I'm checking with my bank to see what kind of rate I can get on a car loan so that I can compare to dealership financing.
If I find one for 20k I can put a 5k deposit down and finance the rest.

I know it would be smarter to just buy a honda fit or honda civic with low APR from the dealership and have a car with warranty etc.
I just can't bring myself to own a boring car.

Justification for deciding on the Honda:

Want a FR layout, and after weighing all my options and the different platforms available I decided the S2000 would suit my needs best.

Options for 'fun' FR platforms in the range of 20k$
year range approx. 2003-2007

350z, MX-5, RX8, G35, Mustang, Supra, etc.
FRS/BRZ but a bit out of my price range and too slow for the money.

With the exception of the MX-5, those cars have reliability issues relative to the Honda, and reliability is important (to me).

bring on the comments, crits, flames, off topic rambles etc.

benyl
01-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Have you sat in one? Are you a big guy? My wife is like 5'4" and 100 lbs and thought the S2000 was cramped. I couldn't sit in it comfortably at all.

Skyline_Addict
01-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Wondering if someone who has been following the market on these cars to share some buying tips.

What time of year will you typically see the largest selection for sale?

I'll post more questions as they come to mind.
I'm checking with my bank to see what kind of rate I can get on a car loan so that I can compare to dealership financing.
If I find one for 20k I can put a 5k deposit down and finance the rest.

I know it would be smarter to just buy a honda fit or honda civic with low APR from the dealership and have a car with warranty etc.
I just can't bring myself to own a boring car.

Justification for deciding on the Honda:

Want a FR layout, and after weighing all my options and the different platforms available I decided the S2000 would suit my needs best.

year range approx. 2003-2007

350z, MX-5, RX8, G35, Mustang, Supra, etc.
FRS/BRZ but a bit out of my price range and too slow for the money.

With the exception of the MX-5, those cars have reliability issues relative to the Honda, and reliability is important (to me).

bring on the comments, crits, flames, off topic rambles etc.

It can be random, but generally speaking a lot of s2000s are up for sale before the winter season starts, and right before spring returns. For the latter time, sellers tend to price their cars a bit higher since the driving season is about to begin and the use of a car like an s2000 becomes more alluring. For cars sold before the winter, the owners have probably had their fun with it during the summer and are seeing what they can fetch for the car instead of parking it for a few months.

For AP2s, the 2004 and 2005 models are popular as they do not use DBW. To most enthusiasts this is preferred, and becoming the oldest models of the AP2, they should be priced lower. You should be able to find one under $20k. There are really no changes to further model years other than DBW and some cosmetic interior and exterior updates. In 2008, you can get a CR.

For a car loan you might be better off getting a loan through a dealership (but you have to pay tax and possibly other fees). You will probably get a lower interest rate than a retail bank. Explore the options to see which offers you the best solution.

The s2000 is definitely a fun and reliable car. They are solid and a true sports car. Out of all the cars you listed, it definitely provides the most raw driving experience. The mx-5 and the rx-8 are the closest thing to offering that same driving experience, but are ultimately very different cars for a number of reasons. They are a popular car amongst enthusiasts and at their current price point on the used market, they are relatively easy to sell if you end up feeling that the car isn't for you.

Skyline_Addict
01-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Have you sat in one? Are you a big guy? My wife is like 5'4" and 100 lbs and thought the S2000 was cramped. I couldn't sit in it comfortably at all.

As a 2-seater roadster, it is definitely compact, but not cramped. I'm 5"10 and 155 pounds, so I'm a fair bit taller but not a big person. I think anyone approaching the 200 pound figure (regardless of height), will probably find it uncomfortable. If you're lean and under 6'2", you'll be fine. I had no problem with the car at my height. The seating position and interior is definitely made to be driver-centric and it is not a comfortable car for long trips.

2Legit2Quit
01-14-2014, 10:55 AM
I am 6'5 and ~200 lbs, fit comfortably so not sure whats up with your wife benyl :bullshit:

There's s2k's on kijiji all throughout the year, might be able to get one for cheaper during the off season but towards spring/summer there will generally be more for sale but less room to play price wise as well most likely.

Aside from all that jazz, they're fun reliable little cars, I'm a Honda guy so it's what I wanted for years while considering other alternatives like you are, 350z g35, etc. I still went with the S.

Would advise on having a winter beater as well though. Check out the s2ki forums for all the information you could want.

Modelexis
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Some good info, I didn't know that they introduced DBW.

I'm under 6' and under 200lbs so no issues fitting in this car, I felt comfortable in an FD RX-7 so the S should be no issues.

Murray Peterson
01-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Be sure to drive one before deciding -- they aren't a car for everyone. The word "raw" really does describe them quite well.

Fairly rough ride, low level of sound insulation, and high noise levels (6th gear is not an overdrive -- the engine is running around 4000 RPM on the highway).

The seats are comfortable, but don't allow you to move around much, so you can't drive for long distances without getting very stiff.

Modelexis
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
I ride a sport bike daily and on road trips in the summer so it can't be any worse than that.

I would be driving the Honda daily, mostly winter - but year round for sure.

Murray Peterson
01-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I drive mine year round, and it's a good winter car (awesome heater!) Lately, I have had to use our other car because of ground clearance issues -- the snow is just too deep in our neighbourhood.

eglove
01-14-2014, 11:22 AM
I drove from Calgary to Victoria in it and it wasn't that bad. Mind you I had a bucket in there so I could have my legs straight out so they wouldn't cramp like in the stock seat

I drove mine year round as well, top down while it's snowing is the best. Haha

dimi
01-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Get a 2006-2008. While i would prefer a cable throttle, I don't think its that big of a deal. I drove an '06 and didn't find it much different than my '01 in terms of throttle response.

The huge advantage to '06+ is the reprogramable ECU (Hondata Flashpro). With a header and a reflash you get a big increase in midrange torque, moving VTEC back to 4000 rpm vs. 6000 rpm, and upping the rev limit to 8500 rpm. It makes a huge difference in the power band. Throw on a supercharger setup and you can tune the stock ECU. With a '04-'05 you cannot do that, and its a deal breaker for me.

On top of that you also get traction control (which you can turn off) which is a decent feature to have.

Skyline_Addict
01-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by dimi

The huge advantage to '06+ is the reprogramable ECU (Hondata Flashpro).
On top of that you also get traction control (which you can turn off) which is a decent feature to have.

Oh yes, I forgot about these adds. Traction control will be very useful if this is a year round car for you. The programmable ECU is useful if you're someone who wants to get just a little bit more out of the car without having to go FI.

Throttle response is a touchy feely thing that only the really nit picky driver will notice. For a car as raw as the s2000, compromising throttle response can take away some of that driver's car feeling. DBW bothers some people, others don't have an issue with it. I don't think it's a deal breaker either way, just pointing out that non DBW is generally preferred by s2000 enthusiasts.

dimi
01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I will also say that if you do go FI, a lot of the new kits are built around Flashpro. Retaining the stock ECU is huge.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/S2000/super_turbo_upgrades.asp

ercchry
01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
i'll sell you my mustang for $17k, motor has under 10k kms on it, 2012... 40k kms on body, lots of warranty left. much more manageable year round car for calgary. its also way faster and a super fun hooning car

GTS Jeff
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Oh yes, I forgot about these adds. Traction control will be very useful if this is a year round car for you. The programmable ECU is useful if you're someone who wants to get just a little bit more out of the car without having to go FI.

Throttle response is a touchy feely thing that only the really nit picky driver will notice. For a car as raw as the s2000, compromising throttle response can take away some of that driver's car feeling. DBW bothers some people, others don't have an issue with it. I don't think it's a deal breaker either way, just pointing out that non DBW is generally preferred by s2000 enthusiasts. That's a lot of BS for "S2000 enthusiasts" who all seem fine with the numb electric power steering.

It's an old sports car that commands a fanboi premium...take it for what it is.

Modelexis
01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
No doubt a mustang would be good fun and I'd probably enjoy it a lot, but I have a bias towards imports that I'm sure to some degree is not very warranted. The quality of cars ford was making in the past I've never really forgiven the brand for.

ercchry
01-14-2014, 01:23 PM
No doubt a mustang would be good fun and I'd probably enjoy it a lot, but I have a bias towards imports that I'm sure to some degree is not very warranted. The quality of cars ford was making in the past I've never really forgiven the brand for.

i was the same way till i test drove this thing... was a bit of a boat till i did the springs... and the sound with the borla atak... :drool:

down shifts sound soooo good

NoMoreG35
01-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Mine is always for sale. PM me if interested :D

Sugarphreak
01-14-2014, 01:50 PM

ercchry
01-14-2014, 01:52 PM

year range approx. 2003-2007...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Have you had a chance to test drive the new Fiesta ST yet?

:rofl:

Sugarphreak
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Modelexis
01-14-2014, 02:09 PM
I have actually looked at the fiesta (not the st)

I had a rental fiesta, and it was kinda fun to throw around and abuse, the seating position was very tall for what I like.
Awesome pricing though, really affordable and good bang for your buck. Also, warranty is a tempting thing.

Just sick of front wheel drive. I want to feel the car push me, not pull me for a change.

Murray Peterson
01-14-2014, 02:25 PM
I am also in the market for an AP2. It has to be bone stock with the exception of radio, shocks, shift knob and front sway bar.

jaylo
01-14-2014, 04:23 PM
I had an '01 AP1 and it's the most fun vehicle I had. Super-reliable and easy to maintain. Parts are a bit expensive than your typical Honda parts.

2004 - 2005 is a sweet spot for the S2000 if you like Traction Control and Clutch Delay Valve which was introduced on the AP2

AP1's if you can find one in good condition will be much more cheaper, and fun to drive, if you are comfortable with the no-traction-control feature :P (you can easily fishtail with AP1's, if you are driving stupid)

jtsimaras
01-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
I had an '01 AP1 and it's the most fun vehicle I had. Super-reliable and easy to maintain. Parts are a bit expensive than your typical Honda parts.

2004 - 2005 is a sweet spot for the S2000 if you like Traction Control and Clutch Delay Valve which was introduced on the AP2

AP1's if you can find one in good condition will be much more cheaper, and fun to drive, if you are comfortable with the no-traction-control feature :P (you can easily fishtail with AP1's, if you are driving stupid)

I drive an AP1 and you are right about fish tailing I had a scary spin out on Blackfoot almost totaled the car but didn't hit anything :dunno: lucked out.

The AP1 9000 redline is sure intoxicating and these cars can take high revving all day long..

The only real flaw I think the S2 has is you can only really drive it 4 months of the year....unless you are willing to chance it in the winter. Can't see how people do it especially this winter with all the piled up snow and ice everywhere.

BigShow
01-19-2014, 12:50 AM
I miss my AP2 S2 but yea you can only drive it 4 mos. of the year and it's tiny inside, not a car you want to sit in for long.

Modelexis
01-19-2014, 02:52 AM
This is a good example of what I'm looking for:

http://www.marvjoneshonda.ca/used/Honda/2006-Honda-S2000-c57d2e1d0a0a001f5765d988bd67a50b.htm

Seems to be overpriced?

2006 w/ 70k for $28000
I don't really wanna spend more than 22-23

Sugarphreak
01-19-2014, 12:22 PM

J.M.
01-19-2014, 03:42 PM
This is a good example of what I'm looking for:

http://www.marvjoneshonda.ca/used/Honda/2006-Honda-S2000-c57d2e1d0a0a001f5765d988bd67a50b.htm

Seems to be overpriced?

2006 w/ 70k for $28000
I don't really wanna spend more than 22-23

Seems quite overpriced to me. There's a 2006 w/ 89k for $22k obo on kijiji :dunno:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-NEW-YEARS-SALE-2006-Honda-S2000-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ558013367

Murray Peterson
01-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

Seems quite overpriced to me. There's a 2006 w/ 89k for $22k obo on kijiji :dunno:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-NEW-YEARS-SALE-2006-Honda-S2000-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ558013367

Be sure to do a registry search (I did). It had an outstanding lien from a leasing company when I looked.

Hallowed_point
01-19-2014, 05:39 PM
What is so difficult about winter driving one of these? Unless you're red lining
it around corners and cranking the wheel I can't see what makes them so unmanageable. It's lightweight I guess but it's not like they have a ton of torque :confused:

jtsimaras
01-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
What is so difficult about winter driving one of these? Unless you're red lining
it around corners and cranking the wheel I can't see what makes them so unmanageable. It's lightweight I guess but it's not like they have a ton of torque :confused:

I don't think there is an issue on slippery stuff and a bit of snow...but this year it has been ridonkeylous with all the snow. My lane/side road is impassible to most cars at the moment. For me I choose not to as mine has never seen the salt .... the undercarriage is still like new :) winter is so hard on cars :(

Hallowed_point
01-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Yeah true enough. The side streets are horrible this year without a doubt! The ice ruts are nuts in those areas. That it is..:winter: & cut back on the salt/gravel City of Calgary!