PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Acura TLX Prototype, TL and TSX Replacement

kenny
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/acura-tlx-prototype-naias-2014-12.jpg

the TLX is slightly smaller than the outgoing TL but retains the same wheelbase and approximate interior dimensions. There are two engines options, each with their own mandatory transmission. The “new” 2.4L I4 is lighter than previous K24 motors… and that’s all they say about it. This is mated to a new 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with torque converter.

http://www.beyond.ca/2015-acura-tlx-prototype/32642.html

jwslam
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
So there's pretty good odds on a dual clutch 8 speed Accord coming for 2016 based on their 3/2 refresh schedule?

Mibz
01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
So there's pretty good odds on a dual clutch 8 speed Accord coming for 2016 based on their 3/2 refresh schedule? with torque converter
Until I figure out how the hell that transmission works I can't be excited about it.

n1zm0
01-14-2014, 01:11 PM
I wonder if this new model sports a J VIN, if it's based of the Accord then probably made in Ohio again.

Mibz
01-14-2014, 01:32 PM
It's definitely made in Ohio.

heavyD
01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Now that the Germans have started to supply entry level cars to North Americans it makes me wonder why people bother to even step foot in an Acura dealership.

Disoblige
01-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Cool, so the benefits of DCT, but also adding in a torque converter so it's not jerky at low speed. Sounds good to me, hope it performs as well as it says.

civicHB
01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Now that the Germans have started to supply entry level cars to North Americans it makes me wonder why people bother to even step foot in an Acura dealership.

Reliability and maintenace costs

viff3r
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
DCT only available on the 2.4L, not the 3.5L V6... doesn't make sense. But overall this car looks pretty good, first attractive car Acura has designed in a long time. The wheels look pretty Camry-ish but the production model will likely (hopefully??) ditch those, anyway.

Manhattan
01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
That thing is hideous. Used to be a fan. :thumbsdow

Xtrema
01-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by viff3r
DCT only available on the 2.4L, not the 3.5L V6... doesn't make sense.

I doubt they outsourced the DCT. If it's their own, I don't think Honda has one that can handle loads of torque. So I wonder if this is why a torque converter is needed.

CVT is probably too lame for premium brand.

Originally posted by civicHB

Reliability and maintenace costs

Only a problem if you keep it beyond warranty period.

And how could you forget the blown up transmissions from Honda/Acura only a decade ago.

schocker
01-14-2014, 02:27 PM
I like it especially since I apparently like Acura now. Didn't realize they were replacing two models with one but that makes sense with the fwd/awd, 4cyl/6cyl. The styling is less beaky than I was expecting and overall it looks pretty nice. Kind of like how the mdx evolved from super beak to looking pretty nice. Would be nice if this had an interior though... :)

icky2unk
01-14-2014, 02:56 PM

My assumption is the TLX is a bigger size and more features etc for a better price. Always been the case so I don't see why it would change.

But competition has become stiff that's for sure.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
with torque converter
Until I figure out how the hell that transmission works I can't be excited about it.

They use a torque converter to get the car going, and then it locks up and the DCT takes over shifting duty. I believe they wanted to maintain the "traditional" feel and smoothness of a torque converter from a stop, while adding the benefits of DCT shifting.

Speed_69
01-14-2014, 03:56 PM
I actually quite like the look of this Acura. :dunno:

Darkane
01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Terrible wheels.

Although I bet it would look great with the a-Spec equipment.

I wonder what all this new K24 business is. The new Earth dream DI K24 was just introduced last year in the Accord.

88CRX
01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
The rear 3/4 looks great and the front end (grill) is finally starting to look somewhat acceptable.

max_boost
01-14-2014, 05:42 PM
So boring. Nothing to get excited about. Are they going the Toyota route? Boring, all the same cars? Will wait for NSX. That's my only hope.

Mibz
01-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
They use a torque converter to get the car going, and then it locks up and the DCT takes over shifting duty. I believe they wanted to maintain the "traditional" feel and smoothness of a torque converter from a stop, while adding the benefits of DCT shifting. Makes sense. Do you have a source? I couldn't find them explaining the reasoning or how it works anywhere.

schocker
01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
On tov someone had rumors that a turbo motor will be coming for the second model year, it just isn't ready yet? That would be neat to replace the 2.4 then maybe some type of performance model with AWD as currently you can get the TL 3.7L AWD w/ 6spd manual which is actually quite neat.

MGCM
01-14-2014, 11:53 PM
TLX GT, details below, something nobody would have ever expected Acura to do.......

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/acura-tlx-gt-race-car-detroit-2014/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

Mitsu3000gt
01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Makes sense. Do you have a source? I couldn't find them explaining the reasoning or how it works anywhere.

They explain it near the end of this article about Turbo civic engines:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1312_quick_drive_honda_turbo_engines_future_powertrain_tech/

sneek
01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by schocker
On tov someone had rumors that a turbo motor will be coming for the second model year, it just isn't ready yet? That would be neat to replace the 2.4 then maybe some type of performance model with AWD as currently you can get the TL 3.7L AWD w/ 6spd manual which is actually quite neat.

That would be quite interesting...I worry about Honda/Acura turbo cars considering how awful the RDX Turbo ended up being on fuel/reliability. SH-AWD is probably one of the best AWD systems I've driven second only to Audi's with sport package. Can't wait to take this car out for a test drive. :burnout: That said I would never buy the first year because those transmissions are guaranteed to be terrible. I've had several TL's every single one has had transmission problems :rofl:

Mibz
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
They explain it near the end of this article about Turbo civic engines:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1312_quick_drive_honda_turbo_engines_future_powertrain_tech/ That's awesome, thanks.

Neil4Speed
01-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Really? Sit in a CLA and check out the build quality/fit and finish/materials used vs a Accord. Maintainance, reliability, resale value are also important to some people?

rage2
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Really? Sit in a CLA and check out the build quality/fit and finish/materials used vs a Accord.
Funny you mention this, we did this comparison in Detroit, and the Accord is definitely nicer than the CLA. See the S3 thread.

The Honda press conference was interesting, first time they stopped talking about performance via NSX vaporware. The TLX is supposed to be an amazing handler based on what was said. Hopefully it's not PR fluff, there hasn't been a great Honda handler since the RSX and S2K which feels like eons ago. It was nice actually sitting through an Acura press conference without leaving right after the pics were shot lol.

heavyD
01-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Really? Sit in a CLA and check out the build quality/fit and finish/materials used vs a Accord. Maintainance, reliability, resale value are also important to some people?

Acura is still largely pointless as you can get the same cars for less money from Honda dealerships and sales indicate consumers know this as well as Acura is hurting in the US.

Xtrema
01-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by sneek

That would be quite interesting...I worry about Honda/Acura turbo cars considering how awful the RDX Turbo ended up being on fuel/reliability. SH-AWD is probably one of the best AWD systems I've driven second only to Audi's with sport package. Can't wait to take this car out for a test drive. :burnout: That said I would never buy the first year because those transmissions are guaranteed to be terrible. I've had several TL's every single one has had transmission problems :rofl:

SHAWD is competent. I am just sad that Acura did not leverage it like Audi did with Quattro. Instead, they put a lame AWD on the new RDX, FWD on ILX, RLX didn't even get SHAWD til this year with little to no fan fare.

http://jalopnik.com/acura-is-slowly-committing-suicide-1501315445

There's nothing that thrills and intrigues at Acura anymore. I'm convinced the only consumers buying them are the hardcore Honda and Acura loyalists or people so terrified by the thought of a car that might be "unreliable" that they're too scared to buy anything but these glorified Accords.

I think that sums Acura up quite well as a brand.