PDA

View Full Version : Tickets at Work: Jan 1 2014

Sugarphreak
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM

spike98
01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
I love how the angle grinder guards are the max fine haha. The gov't is banking on a payday!

firebane
01-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
In case you didn’t know, Alberta has introduced a new and exciting ticketing system to make sure you and your employer stay in line at work. Effective Jan 1st, 2014 you or your employer can now be fined 100$ to 500$ by OHS officers for violations in the workplace.

The tickets are similar to traffic tickets, and can be fought at the courthouse. Any money collected goes into general revenue, and an additional 15% victim surcharge gets added on top of the ticket.

The Ticketing Brochure:
http://www.humanservices.alberta.ca/documents/Ticketing-brochure.pdf

Finable Offences:
http://www.humanservices.alberta.ca/documents/TAPS-ticketable-provisions.pdf

I knew this was coming into effect. When I was taking my forklift license they were adament about making sure you were 100% safe on the unit because if OHS came around you could get fined.

Probably to help lower WCB claims... Or perhaps just catch iditoic employers who don't properly train people.

Hey can you use a forklift? NO.. Well here its easy.

MGCM
01-14-2014, 08:31 PM
bout damn time

Hallowed_point
01-14-2014, 08:51 PM
I approve of this message :thumbsup:

Sentry
01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Hey can you use a forklift? NO.. Well here its easy.

Just watch Staplerfahrer Klaus and you're good to go.

Sugarphreak
01-14-2014, 10:22 PM

spike98
01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
I am all for safety. But OH&S mandates that these items be taken care of through internal EHS programs. Programs that all industries are required to have in place.

If you or your company get a fine, then there is bigger problems at play. Such as ineffective policies, improper training, or poor safety culture at the worker/supervisory level.

I see this as a way to generate revenue.

Also, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there always a fine system in place for employers? I know through the Health and Safety Act has a fine system in place for boiler and vessel compliance.

Go4Long
01-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Emplr fail to keep work site clean/free of slip/trip hazards

They don't need to change the list of offenses as long as that's in there...pretty much every work place has SOMETHING you could potentially trip over.

HiTempguy1
01-16-2014, 11:24 AM
I think the major use for this will be commercial and/or residential construction (especially residential construction). Residential construction has always had the poorest track record for safety on job sites due to the nature of the jobs and constant moving to various sites.