PDA

View Full Version : Any Mini Cooper S owners?

Skrilla
01-15-2014, 08:17 AM
My girlfriends brother is debating on buying a newer 12+ mini cooper s, and asked what I thought. I have no clue about them when it comes to ownership cost, driveability etc. So I thought I'd see if anyone here has some insight and experience.

They seem expensive for what you get. I do like the clubman looks with the JCW package, seems to be a lot more room as well. Is the JCW a must get? What all is added? He would be looking at preowned models. I tried to suggest a Focus ST but he said he only likes a 3 door version, which ofcourse is a no go.

Any input would be great.

schocker
01-15-2014, 08:39 AM
What about a gti?

Ca_Silvia13
01-15-2014, 08:48 AM
It's a BMW, remember that when you talk about service and maintenance.

Neil4Speed
01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Here is a good thread with some of my prior experiences, but its an older model (not the 12+)

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=250708

I love the fit and finish (way ahead of anything in the price range IMO), but there is no secret that Mini reliability is not good.

Sugarphreak
01-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Skrilla
01-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by schocker
What about a gti?

I had mentioned this, but he said he wants something you don't see everywhere. Oddly enough in Medicine Hat there are a ton of GTI's. I've had one, and they are great cars, but not my purchase.

Now that it was mentioned I remember the BMW tie. Thanks for the info so far, I will pass it on.

nickyh
01-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I owned a Cooper S back in 2008/2009, it was a fun car. I miss that car a lot actually. It was a lease so regardless it would have to go back but also due to unforeseen circumstances we needed out of the lease, so we only had it about one year in total.

Handles much better than my GTI, amazing on fuel, and quite roomy considering. Straight line it loses power but in the twistys it's awesome.
When I was looking for the next car, I was considering a JCW mini vs the GTI and purely on price, the GTI won (and I really wanted a 4 door) and the Clubman does not do it for me.
Everything was an add on for the mini if you wanted to step up into a reasonable model.

There is a mini club in Calgary we were a part of and we have an aerial photo for the 50th year anniversary we took part in.

jdmXSI
01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Just a quick couple of things:

Make sure it is a 2012+ as the previous ones had a intake manifold issue along with a timing chain tensioner but has been addressed with updated parts.

I would also consider the new F56 (2014MY) as it is slightly larger and adds an extra 50l of cargo space in addition to the new powertrains available. The cooper is going to use a 1.5l 3 cyl turbo that makes 134hp and 152 ft/lbs (up from 121/ 114) while the Cooper S is going to us3 a 2.0l 4cyl that makes 189hp and 207 ft/lbs (181/171).

MINI has also drastically improved on the available options compared to its bmw counterpart and here is a video I found that shows that.

GgXXIZ933RU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

zipdoa
01-15-2014, 09:55 AM
I would avoid the panoramic moonroof. Only a matter of time before it needs to be replaced entirely. They tend to expand and contract and eventually won't open or get stuck open.

firebane
01-15-2014, 10:13 AM
I've driven a cooper and the sport mode is so fun on the twisties.

With that said I'd be looking at possibly a Fiat 500 too. People tend to forget about those cars and they get better performance apparently.

benyl
01-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Great performance, not very reliable. Is there a Mini dealer in the Hat?

Both my sister in-laws have Minis. They drive like a go cart, but always seem to be in the shop for this or that. Minis don't get maintenance included, so factor that into the cost.

jdmXSI
01-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Great performance, not very reliable. Is there a Mini dealer in the Hat?

Both my sister in-laws have Minis. They drive like a go cart, but always seem to be in the shop for this or that. Minis don't get maintenance included, so factor that into the cost.

As of the 2011MY, MINI did start including a 3yr/ 50000kms no charge scheduled maintenance.

Skrilla
01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Just a quick couple of things:

Make sure it is a 2012+ as the previous ones had a intake manifold issue along with a timing chain tensioner but has been addressed with updated parts.

I would also consider the new F56 (2014MY) as it is slightly larger and adds an extra 50l of cargo space in addition to the new powertrains available. The cooper is going to use a 1.5l 3 cyl turbo that makes 134hp and 152 ft/lbs (up from 121/ 114) while the Cooper S is going to us3 a 2.0l 4cyl that makes 189hp and 207 ft/lbs (181/171).

MINI has also drastically improved on the available options compared to its bmw counterpart and here is a video I found that shows that.

Wow, you would almost think you sold them :thumbsup: lol It is a 2012 I believe he is interested in. I think this maintenance costs, and the no dealer here is a big downside.

Mibz
01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
We cross-shopped a Cooper S and Roadster with a GTI. No fucking way I could daily drive a Mini. Suspension is far too stiff for a daily and the interior is just annoying. If he's making car buying decisions based on what other people drive then this thread is pointless anyway.

Skrilla
01-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Not sure what's pointless about asking opinions, experiences with a certain vehicle. He drove it and liked it, but wanted more information from current/previous owners before making a decision. I know I have done it myself, did not seem pointless to me, and regardless of what others drive :dunno:

EDIT: I guess he put a deposit on it this morning, they are going to hold it for the week until he gets in town and can have a closer look, service history etc. Thanks all for the information again.

Mibz
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah, sorry, you're right. I forgot this thread was about owner experiences and not "What else should I drive". My bad.