PDA

View Full Version : Try to bring a pipe bomb onto a plane: $100 fine and 1 year probation

Sentry
01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/15/man-with-pipe-bomb-allowed-on-flight-out-of-edmonton-report

... THE FUCK. He's fucking 18 too, not a juvenile.

How come my goddamn speeding tickets cost more than attempting to bring explosives onto a flight. :banghead:

CapnCrunch
01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Wow. $100.

Tha'ts probably less than he spent on bomb supplies.

kenny
01-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Guaranteed he will hate flying for the rest of his life :rofl:

GTS4tw
01-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Our justice system is awesome!

25 years for drugs:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/canada/Saskatchewan+court+rules+Vernon+drug+smuggler+year+prison/9390613/story.html

Half that sentence for killing 6 people:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/gang-leader-gets-12-year-sentence-for-role-in-surrey-six-murders-1.1597415

reduced to 4 years....

Then we have a sexual assault, where the woman is terrorized, and physically maimed for the rest of her life:

5 years. Less time served of course, so this hero will be out in under 3 years, or just over a year if he behaves!

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/106090/Brian-Louie-sentenced-in-Penticton

Our justice system is a total lost cause, and the only hope for society in the future is for far far more vigilante justice to occur. That last guy should be strung up in the street and stoned to death.

Mitsu3000gt
01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Touch your cell phone once while at a red light: $172

Go 10km over the speed limit: $115

Attempt to carry a pipe bomb on a plane: $100, still allowed to board flight and enjoy your vacation in Mexico

Our justice system has always been a joke, and my friends in law enforcement all feel the same way as they routinely watch guilty people go free or get a slap on the wrist for heinous crimes.

Tik-Tok
01-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Was thinking about this. My 2nd thought was that he works in the oil patch as a seismic driller (or the like), and had a genuine reason to have explosives, just too dumb to check his bag before going to the airport. Knowing the media (and especially the source you posted) the offical report said something along the lines of "pipe-bomb like object", that they changed to suit their "shock value" news.

Env-Consultant
01-16-2014, 03:04 PM
What this kid did is beyond stupid and as much as I hate to say it, I feel kind of bad for him. I get that he could have potentially killed a pile of people and he had no right to put anyone else in danger due to his own stupidity, but based on what I've read/heard, he had one of those OH SHIT moments at the airport when he realized it was in his bag. I heard on CBC that he had to insist they keep it, as they were going to allow him to take it because they didn't realize it was a pipe bomb. That's what you get for contracting out your security...

I was young once too (sort of still am, 25) and I did some pretty stupid things 7-10 years ago that make me cringe to even think about. With that said, am I happy this didn't ruin this young man's life? Yes. Did he learn his lesson? I suspect so. Will he be checking his bags before he leaves his house from now on? No doubt.

Absolutely, beyond stupid of him - but, I'm happy we don't live in a place where he'd be spending 10+ years in prison for making an honest mistake. Just happy nobody got hurt. Scary nonetheless.

Sentry
01-16-2014, 03:22 PM
I first heard this story on the radio and they said it was actually a pipe bomb, and it was made with gunpowder stolen from his mom's fiancee.

Mitsu3000gt
01-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Was thinking about this. My 2nd thought was that he works in the oil patch as a seismic driller (or the like), and had a genuine reason to have explosives, just too dumb to check his bag before going to the airport. Knowing the media (and especially the source you posted) the offical report said something along the lines of "pipe-bomb like object", that they changed to suit their "shock value" news.

I read it was one of several pipe bombs, and he and his friends had been setting them off earlier in some field. Home made, no work purposes.

Also at 18yrs old I doubt he'd be working in the oil patch dealing with explosives.

Who knows though, it's all just what I read from more media articles.

Sentry
01-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love blowing shit up as much as the next guy. Maybe more :D

But I don't like being hassled by TSA so I make sure everything with me will be no issue.

Tik-Tok
01-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I read it was one of several pipe bombs, and he and his friends had been setting them off earlier in some field. Home made, no work purposes.

Also at 18yrs old I doubt he'd be working in the oil patch dealing with explosives.

Who knows though, it's all just what I read from more media articles.

Hahah, what a dumbass then. Although I handled explives in seismic when I was 18.

CanmoreOrLess
01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Had it been an old school pipe coated with hash residue, he'd still be in jail.

ipeefreely
01-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Global News Edmonton has the Full Court Document (http://globalnews.ca/news/1087813/suspect-planned-to-blow-up-a-shed-with-pipe-bomb-found-at-eia-security-say-court-docs/).
On the news at 6 they said he contacted them last night to have his side of the story told but he wanted $600 for it! :facepalm:
They said no! :rofl:

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Had it been an old school pipe coated with hash residue, he'd still be in jail.
The judge said that if the pipe bomb was found in Mexico this family would have never seen him again! :rofl:

16hypen3sp
01-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely
Global News Edmonton has the Full Court Document (http://globalnews.ca/news/1087813/suspect-planned-to-blow-up-a-shed-with-pipe-bomb-found-at-eia-security-say-court-docs/).
On the news at 6 they said he contacted them last night to have his side of the story told but he wanted $600 for it! :facepalm:
They said no! :rofl:

100 dollar fine plus 500 dollars to the burn unit.

Yes he did contact Global and offered an interview in exchange for 600 bucks to pay it all off. I laughed too but I guess the opportunity was there to make some quick cash... and he attempted it.