PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro (Early 2011) Hard Drive problem

ajooo
01-16-2014, 01:55 PM
So long story short, I recently had to replace my hard drive due to the previous one failing. Took it to Apple today to get the OS installed on the new blank hard drive.

The install ended up failing and the guy said most likely due to a faulty drive and wasnt able to write to it, which was weird cause when he ran diagnostics on it the macbook pro was able to detect that the hard drive was there.

He advised me to go back to memory express and get it checked/replaced.

Just wondering if there are any other things to try before I end up going back to Memory Express and Apple with the risk of it not working again.

Thanks!

maxomilll
01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
check out http://www.tonymacx86.com and make your own bootable USB, or just read through blog. lots of info, solid resource.

ajooo
01-16-2014, 03:59 PM
does anyone know if i would matter if i installed the original OS version the macbook pro shipped with instead of installing the newest version right away?

CanmoreOrLess
01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by ajooo
does anyone know if i would matter if i installed the original OS version the macbook pro shipped with instead of installing the newest version right away?

You can install any version of OSX and update to Mavericks later. But, it sounds like your hard drive was installed incorrectly, otherwise the Apple tech would not have had issues. Do you think the Apple tech is an idiot? Also, keep an eye on your computer for excess heat, I had a hard drive installed and they disconnected a sensor which meant the fans did not turn on at all.