PDA

View Full Version : Cold tea places?

n1zm0
01-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Recently visiting Vancouver, my brother, without explanation, brought me to a cold tea restaurant over there one night after drinks, greatest concept ever, albeit illegal.

I heard about it in Toronto, but got to finally try it in Van, not somewhere that people want to advertise much about but are there any places like that in Calgary?

PM's accepted :D

Env-Consultant
01-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Interesting that you bring this up - I'm curious if Calgary does this too. When I was in Boston for a hockey tournament, a group of about 30 of us drunken Albertans hopped in cabs and made our way to Chinatown on the advice of some locals. Once there, we stumbled into a restaurant and ordered cold tea - sure enough, the beer started flowing, well after the bars had closed down (Boston shuts down at a ridiculously early hour). We tried it at a few other restaurants in Chinatown in Boston and were asked to leave - I guess some places do it and some don't - it also may have been because we just looked like bad news.

lilmira
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
What's cold tea? I assume this is not like late night bubble tea/snack joint. Is it coded message for happy ending? Or just unlicensed food vender joint? :confused:

schocker
01-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
What's cold tea? I assume this is not like late night bubble tea/snack joint. Is it coded message for happy ending? Or just unlicensed food vender joint? :confused:
They are using code, not handies though

cold tea
Refers to the practice of receiving alcohol (particularly beer) after legal serving hours. Specifically a practice in Toronto, in Chinatown. Generic and common brand beer is served in a teapot, so as to avoid detection from the authorities
It's 3 am, you're drunk and want to keep drinking. Head to Spadina, wander around Chinatown, walk into New Po King and order cold tea. Molson Canadian gets served to you in a teapot.

lilmira
01-17-2014, 03:02 PM
oh I see. Beer in a pot, whiskey in tea cup kinda thing lol.

n1zm0
01-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Or just unlicensed food vender joint? :confused:

Yes, looking for one that specifically serves dog and horse meat for late-night snacking :poosie:

oh I see. Beer in a pot, whiskey in tea cup kinda thing lol.

correct, serving alcohol past last call in combination with late-night drunken Chinese food craving :D

ExtraSlow
01-24-2014, 01:56 PM
U-and-me refused to serve me cold tea last week. Could be that I'm white and I look like a cop. Waitress totally knew what I was talking about, told me to "come back tomorrow" for the cold tea.
Some of you guys may have better luck.

BrknFngrs
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Do the venues that do this gouge crazy on price? Seems like an unnecesary risk for them unles they ramp up their pricing significantly.