PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else losing hair young ?

brettf2
01-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Is there anything I can do about it ?

Has anyone tried propecia or any treatments ??

jdmXSI
01-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Embrace it! I bought an electric razor 5yrs ago and haven't paid for a haircut since.

brettf2
01-18-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm 21 !! Cant embrace it yet !!

jdmXSI
01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Lol I was 25, not too far from ya!

FixedGear
01-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Hey 21 ain't bad, we had one guy in my high school who started going bald around 17!

brettf2
01-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Lol I was 25, not too far from ya!

I'm not ready to come to the dark side just yet lol

Originally posted by FixedGear
Hey 21 ain't bad, we had one guy in my high school who started going bald around 17!

Poor guy. Its a hat life for him.

Tik-Tok
01-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I was losing hair like crazy in my early twenties. I switched shampoo/condition to Nioxin, and although it doesn't regrow hair, it REALLY slowed down the loss. I'm 35 now, and my hair looks not too different from when I was 25. Unfortunately for me, I switched too late, and had already lost quite a bit before that.

G-ZUS
01-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear

Did you go to crescent in the early/mid 2000s?

JRSC00LUDE
01-18-2014, 09:22 AM
I've been shaving my head intentionally for over ten years, I didn't trim it for over a week last month and I realized it is starting to thin in the back!

In practical terms, it doesn't matter but...... being bald by choice is way cooler than by nature! Hahahaha :cry:

davidI
01-18-2014, 09:31 AM
I started losing mine around 21 / 2 and chose to embrace it. I buzzed it short and have done the same ever since.

My travel nickname is now Baldpacker. :)

brettf2
01-18-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm surprised no one has jumped on propecia ??

Seems like everyone just shaves it off.. not what I was expecting. :dunno:

I use nioxin right meow but don't think it does anything.

JRSC00LUDE
01-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by brettf2
I'm surprised no one has jumped on propecia ??

Seems like everyone just shaves it off.. not what I was expecting. :dunno:

I use nioxin right meow but don't think it does anything.

Talking like a cat isn't going to help, have you seen how bad cats shed?!

brettf2
01-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Lol but they grow their hair back. I started eating cat food now too. Hopefully ill have a full head of hair soon.

JRSC00LUDE
01-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Lol but they grow their hair back. I started eating cat food now too. Hopefully ill have a full head of hair soon.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

DeleriousZ
01-18-2014, 09:54 AM
I started losing mine near the end of high school, but it stopped/slowed down a lot after a few years. Both grandparents are bald so it is my destiny unfortunately lol.

brettf2
01-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Didn't know it can slow down. At least from what I see it just keeps going until there's nothing there.

So I guess no one here treats their hair loss ? :cry:

Say mr Z guy, what food do you feed that cat in your avatar ?

timdog
01-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Don't be that guy that has longer hair while going bald or that guy that wears hats 24/7 to cover it up.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Man I hope I never lose my hair, my grandpa had a full thick head of hair up until he passed away, and my dad is almost 55 now and has to cut his hair every month it's so thick, I hope I keep on that path.

I heard wearing a lot of tighter fitting hats when you are younger can cause hair loss to accelerate?

brettf2
01-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Follicles that are sensitive to DHT be the cause.

Any idea if your dad would be willing to sell me some hair ?

FixedGear
01-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Did you go to crescent in the early/mid 2000s?

No I went to high school in the US in the mid-90s. why, did your school have a high school kid losing his hair too?

FixedGear
01-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Man I hope I never lose my hair, my grandpa had a full thick head of hair up until he passed away, and my dad is almost 55 now and has to cut his hair every month it's so thick, I hope I keep on that path.

I heard wearing a lot of tighter fitting hats when you are younger can cause hair loss to accelerate?

Yea i'm the same way, no baldness on either side of my family and my hair is pretty thick and I even used to have the barber thin it until someone told me that can make it appear even thicker LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: That said, I don't think baldness is anything to fret about. If I started going bald, I would embrace it. I keep my hair shaved super short half the time anyway!

calgary350z
01-18-2014, 11:02 AM
there are many ways to fight it but the only real way to get your hair back is a good transplant with a reputable doctor. I am going to Ottawa in Sept to get one done. I am 36 and have tried all sorts of things which most of them work only to a small degree or with no real result at all. Dr Rahal does amazing work but is on the expensive side.

I don't feel i like as good with a shaved head and would like to regain most of what I lost. Transplants are not what they used to be and can be undetectable if done well.

Tik-Tok
01-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Problem with a transplant, is you have to keep going back for more, because your natural top of head hair will continue to recede.

EM1FTW
01-18-2014, 12:07 PM
I started losing mine when I was 21/22, now 24 and nioxin seemed to at least slow it down maybe?

R!zz0
01-18-2014, 12:12 PM
If it's still in early stages, you can get a transplant. It wont cost you as much.

roll_over
01-18-2014, 01:23 PM
I am using Propecia, Minoxidil (Rogaine), Nioxin and changed my diet. Have been using Propecia for about five years now and it worked for me. The thing is applying Rogaine is a pain if you have longer hair so you need to cut it short.

Also this is a good site to search
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/57385-Bimatoprost-Results-of-6-mo-usage-of-Allergan-Lumigan

01RedDX
01-18-2014, 03:07 PM

heavyD
01-18-2014, 05:43 PM
If you are losing hair in your 20's there's nothing that can help you as you will go bald as you have premature balding. I never lost any hair in my 20's and 30's but once you get into the 40's it's just a fact of life that it will thin out.

kvg
01-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Own that shit, rock a comb over.

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/5/6/0/98560_v1.jpg

A790
01-18-2014, 06:36 PM
I was taking propecia for about two years. It gave me wonderful bladder problems (felt like I had to pee ALL THE TIME) so I stopped using it. My hairline is noticeably pulled back and my hair is thinner.

However, I no longer feel like fucking Niagara falls so I'd rather be bald TBH. I won't touch that propecia shit ever again.

ercchry
01-18-2014, 07:04 PM
I use to lose a bunch when i was younger (19-23)... like wake up with a noticeable amount of hair on my pillow every morning... but since then i've made a few changes and its no longer receding

Changes such as:

-Red meat once a week instead of every day
-shampoo every other day instead of daily
-oh, and not giving a fuck about things

Made a huge difference, dunno if im genetically prone to balding or not though. I've heard you get your hair from your mother's side... so if thats true i should be okay (uncle and grandfather had/have full heads of hair)

...but my dad? and his brother and father? Eh... not so much

brettf2
01-18-2014, 08:37 PM
I got a rx for Propecia but haven't jumped on it yet, wanted to hear what everyone thought about it.

Hair transplants are great and I do have the $$ but I'm only 21 and I know you cant get a HT done without Propecia because
your loss will continue and we only have so much hair that can be moved.

Don't wanna end up with a nice hairline and nothing behind it.

A790
01-18-2014, 09:41 PM
I got a rx for Propecia but haven't jumped on it yet, wanted to hear what everyone thought about it.

Hair transplants are great and I do have the $$ but I'm only 21 and I know you cant get a HT done without Propecia because
your loss will continue and we only have so much hair that can be moved.

Don't wanna end up with a nice hairline and nothing behind it.
They won't do a HT on you at your age anyway. I went to Dr. Gillespie when I was 23 and he told me to come back in 10 years...

brettf2
01-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by A790

They won't do a HT on you at your age anyway. I went to Dr. Gillespie when I was 23 and he told me to come back in 10 years...

Yeah I went to see him a few weeks ago too.

I wouldn't want a HT done now anyway.

How old are you now and what's your hair look like ?

Just thinning all over ?

D. Dub
01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
I say grow old gracefully no plugs or rugs.

brettf2
01-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
I say grow old gracefully no plugs or rugs.

Cant really pull that off when you're in your 20's.

Cant believe there isn't a cure for this shit. 2014 and still
popping pills that were made in the 90's.

We should be able to treat hair loss locally not systematically.

Its like blowing up a whole city to kill one person.

GQBalla
01-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Get bigger so no one notices the hair loss

jdmXSI
01-19-2014, 12:32 AM
What's your diet like? I know it could just be in my head but it seemed like once I started eating healthier, the progression slowed down significantly.

brettf2
01-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Get bigger so no one notices the hair loss

That might work !!

http://www.idpetthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/uk-ugly-dog.jpg

brettf2
01-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
What's your diet like? I know it could just be in my head but it seemed like once I started eating healthier, the progression slowed down significantly.

Eh diet has nothing to do with genetic hair loss.

There's morbidly obese guys with thick heads of hair

jdmXSI
01-19-2014, 12:48 AM
True however it dosent mean you cant slow it down by eating better.

Edit: I only say that because my dad had lost most of his hair by my age and once I started limiting certain foods, the hair loss slowed right down.

brettf2
01-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Well I have been snorting more crack than I usually do.. could it be that ?

shakalaka
01-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Where is Dr. Gillespie? Wouldn't mind giving him a shout for a consultation.

brettf2
01-19-2014, 02:27 AM
108 Forest of hair follicles, Calgary AB

darthVWader
01-19-2014, 02:49 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/bigbowtrout/SC20140119-014357-1_zps693dd765.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bigbowtrout/media/SC20140119-014357-1_zps693dd765.jpg.html)

calgary350z
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Where is Dr. Gillespie? Wouldn't mind giving him a shout for a consultation.

Dont do it his transplants are garbage and this is from people i have met that had them done by him. They had to go get them redone

do some research and use a reputable one

there really aren't any in Alberta except one in Edmonton

The best are in Vancouver and Ontario

The only non surgery options that are proven to do something are Fin and Rogaine.

ddduke
01-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by calgary350z

The only non surgery options that are proven to do something are Fin and Rogaine.

and proscar, I know of 4 people who have been taking it for 1-2 years and all of them have had amazing results.

2 of them do use proscar with rogaine though.

batool100
01-20-2014, 04:06 AM
I'm twenties. I'm also started losing my hair around 18. I also went to doctor and hair consultant before, but its also useless for me. Its a genetic problem. Now I just take care of my own health, it'll be better than before, but still got hair loss everyday. Just think positive.

sputnik
01-20-2014, 07:59 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/male-breast-cancer-alert-for-baldness-drug-1.1044312

vtec4life
01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
There is a class action lawsuit going on right now for guys that have taken Propecia and can no longer get an erection even after they stop taking it. I would not recommend taking that risk!

I've been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for a year or two now... hasn't changed much but hasn't become much worse. Just cut it short and it will look thicker.

calgary350z
01-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

and proscar, I know of 4 people who have been taking it for 1-2 years and all of them have had amazing results.

2 of them do use proscar with rogaine though.

Proscar is the brand of fin just like Propecia is a brand name

taking a quarter pill which is 1.25mg is much safer than what a lot of guys try do. Not saying you can't have side effects but not everyone has those issues that you hear horror stories about.

genesis0403
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Rogaine apparently brings back a lot of hair as long as you keep using it. Once you stop, you'll lose it all again. You can use those protein fiber things that make it look like you have hair although its temporary. There's a brand called Caboki which works well. I normally used to apply hair wax daily but don't use it as much now as it forces me to wash my hair twice a day. When I work out, I happened to wash 3 times so I just wear hats more often and it seems that helped although if you wear fitted hats too often it might speed up the process apparently

roll_over
01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm just throwing this out there Propecia (1mg) isn't covered by insurance so ask your doctor for a prescription for Proscar (5mg) and split them into 1/4's both are Finasteride but one is covered

Dumbass17
01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
yeah i'm bald, hair started thinning at around 23 or 24. (5 years ago)
i just shave it now. few people say it suits me, others tease me.

being bald sucks but there's nothing you can do, so embrace it:nut:

Tej.S
01-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Gonna leave this here, it's from another forum:

I'm going to fill you in on what has worked for me, what hasn't work for me, what I'm doing right now, and what I'm planning on doing in the future. I'm also going to do my best to answer all your question and respond to all serious PMs.

My basic hair loss story and pictures

I started noticing my receding hairline and thinning hair around 22 years old. I let it go for few years until it go so bad that it was effecting my self esteem and mood. At first I tried an all natural approach with laser therapy and various oral herbals treatments. The results where disappointing and expensive. I moved on to Rogaine Foam, Nizoral, and S5 cream and began seeing satisfying results. It currently feels like my hairline is going uphill and hopefully the worst is behind me.

19 years old, before I started losing hair
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/uploads_user/59000/58375/2055_original.jpg

Peak of my hair loss at 25 years old, before any treatments
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/uploads_user/59000/58375/2056_original.jpg

26 years old after being on treatments for a while
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/uploads_user/59000/58375/2060_original.jpg
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/uploads_user/59000/58375/2057_original.jpg

The things that have worked for me
-Rogaine Foam (minoxidil, hair growth stimulant)
-Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole, improves the health of scalp)
-S5 cream (spironolactone, topical anti-androgen/DHT, propecia substitute)

Things that I know don't work
-Laser light therapy (very expensive, didn't do squat)
-Herbal shampoos targeted towards hair loss
-Stress management
-Topical oils targeted towards hair loss (aka snake oil)

Things that I'm not quite sure about
-Oral saw palmetto (supposed to help stop DHT from getting into the scalp)
-Oral stinging nettles (same as saw palmetto)
-Oral niacin
-Oral biotin
-Any other orally taken vitamins or mineral supplements
-PROPECIA** (I've been avoiding this because it has a list of sides effects I don't want anything to do with, mostly sexual, I'd rather be bald)

The things I'm planning on adding into my hair routine
-Generic minoxidil liquid
-Azelaic Acid (higher concentrations 20%+ can cause skin problems, sounds like 10% is safe)
-RegenePure DR Shampoo (to replace Nizoral shampoo)

MY CURRENT ROUTINE
-Rogaine foam in the AM/PM
-S5 cream in the AM/PM
-Nizoral shampoo twice weekly
-Oral Niacin(B3)
-Oral Biotin
-Also taking the typical multi/fish oil and some other various things...C, D, E, Zinc, Magnesium, garlic, etc.

I use the Rogaine Foam and S5 cream first thing in the AM. I usually do it about 30-45 minutes before I take a shower for the day. At night I use the Rogaine Foam and S5 cream again. I only apply these things to the areas that are losing hair or a little thin, not the entire head. I use the Nizoral shampoo twice weekly during my regular shower. I try to get a "niacin flush" a few times a week. I will explain more on the Nizoral and Niacin shortly. I split all my supplements between breakfast and dinner. If it only requires one dose for the day, I usually take it with breakfast.

I haven't experienced a single side effect from anything I've been taking. Not a thing. This will not be the case for everyone though. For example, topical minoxidil has a small chance to give you some side effects. They range from irritated skin to puffy facial skin. However, I have heard of sexual sides from topical minoxidil. You would have to be extremely unlucky, I suppose. Like I said, I haven't experience any side effects from anything I'm using. The only thing I know of that has a decent chance of giving you some serious sides is Propecia and ORAL minoxidil. I'll be avoiding Propecia at all costs and oral minoxidil is very obscure anyhow.

Earlier I mentioned some things that I'm planning on adding. I'm planning on replacing my PM use of Rogaine Foam with a generic minoxidil liquid. I'm doing this because I've seen that If you can get a response from the liquid minoxidil, the hair re-growth will be greater than you get with the foam. From what I've seen the response rates for the foam are something like 80% and the liquid is much lower, like 50%. I'm going to replace the Nizoral shampoo with RegenePure DR Shampoo because Nizoral contains SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate, most shampoo has it) and it can cause inflammation of the scalp if it's left sitting on there for long periods of time. Scalp inflammation can contribute to hair loss. Since you're supposed to leave the ketoconazole shampoo sitting in for a bit to soak in, I think it's a good idea to change to a brand that doesn't contain the SLS. This isn't absolutely necessary though. The azelaic acid is suppose to be anti-androgenic for the scalp, much like the S5 cream I mentioned, so I'm going to add it in to complement the S5 cream. I'll be replacing my PM use of S5 cream with the azelaic acid.

Info on Nizoral and any other ketoconazole shampoo.

It's marketed as medicated anti-dandruff shampoo. Somehow, people started figuring out it was good for hair loss treatment. It has a chemical in it, ketoconazole, that's supposed to kill a fungus on your scalp related to dandruff. It's supposed to help reduce inflammation on your scalp that could be contributing towards hair lass. It can help prevent irritation from other hair loss treatments, like minoxidil. It might also be a mild hair growth stimulant and anti-androgen for the scalp. Overall, it's just supposed to help make your scalp healthier. Healthy scalp=good for hair. You should be able to find it in the medicated shampoo section at the supermarket.

You should lather up the nizoral shampoo and let it sit in the hair a few minutes to get the full benefit. Either clean the hair with another shampoo first, before you use the nizoral, or run the the nizoral shampoo through your hair twice. You want the scalp to already be clean by the time you're letting the nizoral shampoo soak in. I wash with a regular shampoo first, rinse that out, put the nizoral in my hair, soap up the rest of my body, then rinse the nizoral off with the rest of the soap on me. In my experiences, you need a small drop of the Nizoral shampoo to get a full lather going if the hair is already cleaned. I only use the Nizoral twice a week. If you use it like this, the 7 once bottle should last you at least half a year. I started off with the small bottle and it lasted for months. You can probably use it more, or even less than I do. Just don't use it every single day because it has other ingredients in there that are harsh on the scalp if you let it sit on there for minutes each and every day.

Info on Niacin

Also known as vitamin B3. Niacin enables the capillaries in the bloodstream to open wider, allowing for improved circulation, detoxification, and lowering of cholesterol. If you take a large enough dose you will experience this by going through the "flush." You will get a slight tingling sensation over your body, probably turn lobster red, and your body will get pretty warm all over. It lasts for about 30 minutes and It's very noticeable. It doesn't hurt, if it's cold in your home it actually feels pretty nice. You need to take enough to induce the flush, I take 500mg. If you take the Niacin on an empty stomach it will occur just few minutes later. Flush-free niacin is a waste of time and money, avoid it. I'll try to post some before and during pictures sometime soon.
The reason this may be useful for hair loss is because of the increased blood flow from your capillaries in your scalp opening up wider. I can't say for certain if if actually helps the hair much, but I can say for sure the flush does happen. The theory behind it is decent and Niacin is dirt cheap. It's probably really good for your general health, too.
WARNING: Don't take Niacin supplements before you shower. Only take them afterwards. The result will be a torturous itching over your body that will drive you insane for about 30 minutes. You will seriously regret it. I would say that it causes a significant amount of distress. I wouldn't even take Niacin in the morning and then shower at night, take it after your night time shower.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS
*AVOID PROPECIA IF AT ALL POSSIBLE*

noob hair restoration (everyone should start here, no question about it)
-Rogaine foam
-Nizoral shampoo
Don't just start with rogaine foam/liquid (minoxidil, grow stimulant) without a anti-androgenic/DHT to complement it. Ketoconazole shampoo is as basic as you can get for anti-androgenic/DHT and it's great place to start. You can find both of these things at your local market. I actually started to see my first real re-growth on these two things.

standard hair restoration
-Rogaine foam
-Nixoral shampoo
-S5 cream OR azelaic acid
The addition of the S5 cream or the azelaic acid should further help with the anti-androgenic/DHT side of hair restoration.

more advanced hair restoration method
-Rogaine foam (AM)
-S5 cream (AM)
-Minoxidil liquid (PM)
-Azelaic acid (PM)
-Niacin (few times weekly)
-RegenePure DR Shampoo (few times weekly)

CLIFFS

The things that have worked for me
-Rogaine Foam (minoxidil, hair growth stimulant)
-Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole, improves the health of scalp)
-S5 cream (spironolactone, topical anti-androgen/DHT, propecia substitute)

Things that I know don't work
-Laser light therapy (very expensive, didn't do squat)
-Herbal shampoos targeted towards hair loss
-Stress management
-Topical oils targeted towards hair loss (aka snake oil)

MeatbawlMan
01-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

403Gemini
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Problem with the Rogaine foam (from what I hear) is as soon as you stop, it all falls out pretty quick and looks worse than ever, so you need to be extremely diligent with it and accept it's now part of your life.

Again, just what i've heard, maybe somebody on here has personal experiences with it? :dunno:

01RedDX
01-29-2014, 04:02 PM

ekguy
02-18-2014, 09:38 PM
im not sure if im losing hair, or if it's just a random happening. but I have one little spot that has no hair and as far as i know it hasn't spread...almost seems like a scar...

can hair regrow on a scar? it's less than the size of a dime.