PDA

View Full Version : Rock from truck hit my windshield

ExtremeSi
02-27-2004, 03:49 PM
I've heard of people getting reimbursed from the city or something when a rock from another vehicle hits their windsield. Or is it the responsibility of the trucking company? Or am I just hoping this so I won't have to pay? heh. This semi kicked up a rock and it made a chip on my window and now it has started to spread accross right in front of my eyes. Is there anything I can do or just bend over and accept the cost?

Khyron
02-27-2004, 03:51 PM
I think you bend over for that one. If the rock fell OFF the truck, like say a dump truck or a pickup, you have a case (unsecured load) but gravel? You're supposed to follow far enough behind that it doesn't hit you (yah right).

Khyron

ExtremeSi
02-27-2004, 04:01 PM
I see. How do you prove if it fell off the back of a gravel truck or not? And who do you report it to?

Weapon_R
02-27-2004, 04:02 PM
You have to prove that the rock fell from the back of the truck (uncovered material). This is hard without a witness. If it gets kicked up from underneath, you are SOL.

T5_X
02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
I thought the driver of the vehicle that kicked the rock up at you was supposed to pay, providing you have a witness or something.
But I heard from someone that its pretty easy to get your windshield repaired from trucking companies cause they just write you a check instead of going to the trouble of going to court. :dunno:

szw
02-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
I thought the driver of the vehicle that kicked the rock up at you was supposed to pay, providing you have a witness or something.
Nope

Originally posted by T5_X
But I heard from someone that its pretty easy to get your windshield repaired from trucking companies cause they just write you a check instead of going to the trouble of going to court. :dunno:
Yup

redx2nv
02-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Trucks are always supposed to have a cover on the back to protect rocks from falling out.

They failed to do this whn we were following them one time in our hino work truck, got three rocks hit the windshield. Two smaller 2" rocks hit the windshield and cracked it good. Then a 5*5" rock hit the windshield, went hlafway through the window and the glass hit the coworker in the face..

The company did pay for the window after...

forgiven
02-29-2004, 12:05 AM
that recently happened to me but the rock fell of the truck. I couldant prove that the rock fell so i had to cover the new windshield sucks

Zero102
02-29-2004, 12:13 AM
I had a big chunk of clay/rocks fall off a backhoe on the back of a truck once, put a huge scuff on my hood and cracked my windshield. I called the company and right away they named a body/glass shop, said bring it there and they would forward the bill.
The next day the bondo on the hood cracked (never knew it was there) and I said fuck it, the hood is toast anyways...

Yeah, you are supposed to follow far enough back, but if they were doing something unsafe/unreasonable, they are still responsible. I.E. Spinning tires in a gravel parking lot.

hockeybronx
02-29-2004, 03:13 AM
Hey man crap happens.

For all the trouble you'd have to go through to convince the city if they even were willing to, you'd be better off spending the time at work making the money to replace the windshield.

ninspeed
02-29-2004, 10:00 AM
contact the trucking company with the truck number, location, and time... I have had this happen twice now.. once with cheif (they just gave me a 300$ check) and then 2 weeks ago with the ranger, busted my mirror off when folowing a whissel truck... got a new mirror from them.

Maxt
02-29-2004, 10:37 AM
I have been through this before, and all I can say is good luck...
When they were building the 22x twin road/overpass, I passed a gravel truck that had a rocks on the hitch's and top of the box, a rock flew off the truck and put a fist sized hole in my windshield..
I got the name of the trucking company, the licence plate, the City's own central registry number, the job the truck was working on (the city was the general contractor), and the names of a couple of witness's...
I phoned the police , they told me to talk to Alberta transportation, Alberta transportation told me its the responsibility of the truck owner and driver to ensure that every truck has all loosed loads covered, and any loose drit/rocks removed from the edges of the box and other parts of the truck, and if its not, its a chargeable unsafe load and negligence charge.
So I went to the city, quuite confident, armed with all my info, to make a long story short, they gave me and my employer of the time the runaround for a few months, till we we just gave up, they give you a phone number and a name, and that person just hands you onto another another person, with another official title, that hands you onto another, and basically that central registry thing is a load of bs , it serves no purpose, and does nothing to increase any kind of safety, its mechanism to frustrate those that have a claim against the city or its immediate contractors...
Don't bother jumping through the hoops, buy a new windshield, and take it up with your alderman...Maxt

chris
02-29-2004, 04:18 PM
i dont think that you're gonna get a new windshield because it got hit by a rock, i say just bite the bullet and get the chip fixed