PDA

View Full Version : Where to head to learn Skiing for the first time?

ha9981
01-21-2014, 11:15 AM
About to jump ship on $140 for 4 hours on a first time lesson at Norquay. Have not done any snowsport before and would like to try skiing out. Living in Calgary don't mind a trip to Banff. But is it better to start on Calgary slopes?

Where should I head for training?

What should I be looking to spend?

Basic equipment needed that is not provided in rentals?

MEC the best place for goggles / sunglasses & snow pants?

Please advise.

lint
01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
As a first timer, I would stick with COP. It's close, cheap and they have some great beginner instructors. Check out Ski in Three https://secure.winsportcanada.ca/cop/store/browse.cfm/190#p974

Save the big hills for when you've got the basics

DeleriousZ
01-21-2014, 11:40 AM
The gf just went thru a few sets of lessons for snowboarding at COP and had a pretty positive experience from what I've heard.

SkiBum5.0
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't go to MEC for the items listed. Check out the local ski/board shops such as The Cellar, Ski West, Fresh and see what they have on sale.

AudiPWR
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
First time lessons are a waste of time and money.

Strap your shit on and figure it out, when you can get going down the mountain pick up some lessons to develop technique.

Hit up COP/NQY for your first time, start at a small slope and get a feel for having gravity move you down the slope.. After a couple of hours of falling on your ass and figuring out how to turn, you should be relatively comfortable..

Like I said, don't spend shit on your first lesson. It's a fucking waste and all they are going to tell you is shit that is obvious to most, like bend your knees and blah blah. Rentals ONLY come with bindings/boots/skis(or snowboard) and a helmet if you want to rent one. Buy everything else, check out mission or source in Calgary.. They have the best gear.

DeleriousZ
01-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR

Strap your shit on and figure it out, when you can get going down the mountain pick up some lessons to develop technique.

Hit up COP/NQY for your first time, start at a small slope and get a feel for having gravity move you down the slope.. After a couple of hours of falling on your ass and figuring out how to turn, you should be relatively comfortable..

Like I said, don't spend shit on your first lesson. It's a fucking waste and all they are going to tell you is shit that is obvious to most, like bend your knees and blah blah. Rentals ONLY come with bindings/boots/skis(or snowboard) and a helmet if you want to rent one. Buy everything else, check out mission or source in Calgary.. They have the best gear.

Dude that is seriously the worst advice on the internet I've read so far today. Congrats.

lasimmon
01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Dude that is seriously the worst advice on the internet I've read so far today. Congrats.

Agreed don't listen to who Delerious quoted.

MalibuStacy
01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR

:facepalm:

dirtsniffer
01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
I had some buddies take 2 hours out of there morning to show me how to use the width of the run and how to turn. After that I was going down blues while they were fucking around in the glades. got to the bottom usually around the same time.

Can almost keep up in most situations now (3rd season riding)

Also, youtube has a bunch of videos once your start getting the basics

mr2mike
01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
I think it depends on the person. But I learned to ski like most when you were young. Taught myself to snowboard too later on. Took a lesson later on to get better at snowboarding but I kind of agree with AudiPWR. But I have nothing to base a beginner lesson on so take that for what it's worth. Maybe it speeds the learning process up a bit and I was a lot younger when I tried.

Rent your gear. There's a rental place across from COP. I'd say go to the mountains. Less ice, less people during the week too by far.
But further to drive to get home if you hurt yourself and can still drive back.

MalibuStacy
01-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I would recommend renting your gear here (UC outdoor centre) and lugging it to the hill as it is cheaper. As for gear, always go for goggles, and if your not skiing often, just go to sport check and pick yourself up basic goggles and snowpants (you will use the snowpants more outside of skiing), no need to go overboard if your not a serious skier.