PDA

View Full Version : Minicars fall short for small overlap frontal protection

speedog
01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Minicars fall short for small overlap frontal protection - link (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/minicars-fall-short-for-small-overlap-frontal-protection) to story and associated video below.

Am surprised that a Chev tested as best and a Honda at the bottom of the pile...

-bdydHzCO5s

schocker
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I thought most cars with the exception of new models, are bad at frontal overlap as it was a new test?

Xtrema
01-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Poor Honda Fit. They do this just as they are about to release a new model that may pass this test.

Yes, no model older than 2013 do well in this test, heck even the new 2014 Corolla has a poor showing. Smaller car are worse for obvious reasons.

As the manufacturers added a rebar to cheat the 1/2 offset, I'm sure they will find a way to beat the 1/4 offset as well.

speedog
01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
I suppose that a good thing about beating even the 1/4 offset is safer cars for more people.

e31
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
I've never heard of the term "Minicar" used for that automobile segment. Usually it's something along the lines of "Shitbox" or "Throw-away car".

Ca_Silvia13
01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by e31
I've never heard of the term "Minicar" used for that automobile segment. Usually it's something along the lines of "Shitbox" or "Throw-away car".

Let's call a spade a spade. They're all "death traps" at higway speeds

n1zm0
01-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by e31

these are sub-compacts in the North American market imo, to me a 'minicar' is something like a Smart fortwo or a Toyota iQ, but I guess even those 2 are considered sub-compacts :confused:

speedog
01-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Believe a Smart Fortwo or Scion IQ is considered a micro here in NA. Subcompact would be Fit, Fiesta, Sonic. Compact would be Cruze, Focus.

DeleriousZ
01-23-2014, 11:32 AM
'buy a larger hybrid model instead'

hmmmm..

mikestypes
01-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Cars with steel wheels always seem to do terrible on this test because they do not shatter like aluminum wheels. Instead, they deform at the edge then get pushed into the foot well.

Toyota has performed poorly on most of these high offset crashes as they did not prepare their models to meet it when announced several years ago. They have upgraded their cars with reinforcements in the fenders now.