PDA

View Full Version : Giving Blood, Plasma, Platelets, Getting Tested For Bone Marrow/Stem Cells

Env-Consultant
01-23-2014, 02:37 AM
Hey guys, below is a recent FB post/company email of mine. I know the blood donating process could potentially be easier, but nonetheless, I'm a huge fan of what they do. My buddy had cancer a few years back and required donations - huge eye opener for me. Not looking to get into a religious discussion or any type or argument - just trying to pass on some information that I consider to be important. Beyond meetup at the DT clinic on March 3? :clap: 737-13 Ave SW - if you live near Glendale or between me and downtown/near downtown, I'll even pick you up/drop you off.

Check out Blood.ca and OneMatch.ca .

You can donate blood every 56, days and if you're not interested in losing your red blood cells, you can donate plasma every week, or you can donate your platelets every 2 weeks. Nonetheless, it's an awesome experience, incredible atmosphere, and you'll be surrounded be amazing staff, volunteers, and other donors.

Plus free juice and cookies. Fair trade, IMO :)

OneMatch is for worldwide bone marrow/stem cell donor matches - to get tested, you only need to do a mouth swab - if you're a match for somebody, it's a minor procedure (if you choose to go along with it) - easy/simple inconvenience to save a life. One great part is you can meet the person you dontated to after a year!

I have no vested interest in Blood.ca/OneMatch.ca - just a huge fan of what they're doing and how enjoyable it has been giving blood with them. Try it out sometime, even if you hate needles - you won't regret it. Great experience and you're legitimately saving lives!

Amysicle
01-23-2014, 08:22 AM

ExtraSlow
01-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm one of those guys who gives blood occasionally. been eight time I think? Tried rounding up some folks from work and doing the blood bus thing, but got a fairly negative response from about half my co-workers. I don't need that kind of drama in my life.

Agreed about drinking a lot of water the day before. I've done it after a night of drinking, and it's not nearly as simple of a process. Also, just drinking water a couple of hours before doesn't do much at all.

I have several people in my family who can't donate blood due to various medical conditions, so can't make a family trip out of it.

Since there is so much waiting, it's more fun to go in a group. But if you have a book to read or something, it's not bad.

GoChris
01-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Donate blood all the time and I'm already signed up for One Match :thumbsup:

ganesh
01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
I can't donate blood because I had malaria.
I signed up for Plasma donation and got a letter from Canadian Blood services saying that it is an expensive process so they don't want to do that
I am leaning towards donating Bone Marrow.

lasimmon
01-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Who takes an hour to donate blood?

I've donated ~20 times and i would say average time is about 30 mins in and out, and I go to the downtown clinic on 13th ave and 7th st (I think thats the address).

speedog
01-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Just did my 129th donation last week, the majority of them platelets. Started out as a whole blood donor, quickly moved to plasma and then on to platelets. Found plasma to be the easiest on the body, whole blood is probably the toughest and even that is really no big deal.

The thing with whole blood is that most whole blood donations are broken down afterwards into discreet products such as plasma, platelets or cryoprecipitate so by giving straight plasma or platelets, you are actually donating more of that specific product in one donation plus you can donate more often which is good for the whole system.

If I remember correctly 5 whole blood donations (if broken down and can vary from 6 to 18 whole blood donations - depends on your platelet concentrations) will produce the equivalent of one platelet donation and if you're like me, I am usually good for a large volume donation every time I donate platelets which is equivalent to a double-sized donation. Also with platelet donations, you may be matched to a patient (often cancer, leukemia) which makes that donation all that more important.

Am also on the bone marrow program and have been called for a match once and went in for further testing but they found a better match. One thing I do know is that not enough people donate - I realize people are fearful of needles or the sight of their own blood and I get that, but there are far too many people who don't even make the effort. I've been donating for 30 years and do not know anyone else that is a regular donor or even semi-regular such as myself and when one goes into the plate/plasma donation area and sees pictures of donors up that have done 600, 700, 900+ donations, then my 129 seems pretty insignificant.

Never the less, I would encourage as many as possible to take
Env-Consultant up on their offer.

speedog
01-23-2014, 10:06 AM
BTW my platelet donations are usually good for 2 hours from time in the door to out of the door and that's for a large volume donation, a regular donation chops about 20 minutes off of that.

FraserB
01-23-2014, 10:08 AM
I did my first back in October, so I'm probably due again. Oddly enough, they declined when I offered to do double what they took. Felt perfectly fine, no dizzyness or anything like that.

My dad broke 150 whole blood donations last year.

supe
01-23-2014, 10:13 AM
One major thing missing in this thread is the fact that donating blood is GOOD FOR YOU, especially for you guys that love your steaks. It reduces your iron levels and in general makes your body make new blood.

speedog
01-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I did my first back in October, so I'm probably due again. Oddly enough, they declined when I offered to do double what they took. Felt perfectly fine, no dizzyness or anything like that.

My dad broke 150 whole blood donations last year.
These organizations have been doing blood donations long enough to know what is realistically safe for the majority of the population when it comes to any type of donation - just because you felt fine after a single unit donation doesn't mean that you'd be doing well after a second unit came out.

After 30+ years of donating and doing all three types of donations, I can say that whole blood is the toughest on the body followed by platelets and then plasma - have watched many a big burly man get light headed after a whole blood donation. Plasma is such a walk in the park and platelets, well let's just say that some people can't get over how their body feels while doing the donation, quivering in the chest for some, tingling lips, tingling hands or feet but still not as hard on the body as whole blood because you have fluids replaced.

ExtraSlow
01-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Yeah, giving double on a whole blood donation is a terrible idea. Pretty high chance of you fainting, going into shock, and it might not happen for 20 minutes or longer afterwards. If you are driving, could kill you.

Listen to the nice lady, don't try to "improve" the system.

BigDL
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by speedog

After 30+ years of donating and doing all three types of donations, I can say that whole blood is the toughest on the body followed by platelets and then plasma - have watched many a big burly man get light headed after a whole blood donation. Plasma is such a walk in the park and platelets, well let's just say that some people can't get over how their body feels while doing the donation, quivering in the chest for some, tingling lips, tingling hands or feet but still not as hard on the body as whole blood because you have fluids replaced.

Loading out on calcium helps, but only so much. I don't know how many of those tums I been though.

bignerd
01-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant

OneMatch is for worldwide bone marrow/stem cell donor matches - to get tested, you only need to do a mouth swab - if you're a match for somebody, it's a minor procedure (if you choose to go along with it) - easy/simple inconvenience to save a life. One great part is you can meet the person you dontated to after a year!

Not quite sure I would call donating bone marrow a "minor" procedure. Done under anesthesia in an OR, they drill holes in your large bones (pelvis and sometimes femur) and use large gauge needles to remove the marrow. It can be a painful recovery and even the website states up to a week off for some people.

megavolt
01-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I donate often. Both my wife and I are O- so it's important. My company is in the Partners for Life program so we get the blood bus on our door a few times every month.

Graham_A_M
01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Can type 1 diabetics donate blood? I was told I can't so I never looked into it further.
I always wanted to give, but I was told I can't no matter what. Which to me is fricking retarded since my blood sugar level is always within normal range. Also, I have the 2nd rarest blood type in the world, AB +, so I figured they could really use what I can offer.
Originally posted by supe
in general makes your body make new blood. uh yeah let's hope so lol

CanmoreOrLess
01-23-2014, 07:53 PM
If we donate blood can we get our user ratings back up to 100? I have donated a couple of times, both after a one week cleanse as it gets makes your blood stronger.

CanmoreOrLess
01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Can type 1 diabetics donate blood? I was told I can't so I never looked into it further.
I always wanted to give, but I was told I can't no matter what. Which to me is fricking retarded since my blood sugar level is always within normal range. Also, I have the 2nd rarest blood type in the world, AB +, so I figured they could really use what I can offer. uh yeah let's hope so lol

I was going to ask a relative on FB, she works for the Blood Bank (she hounds everyone about donating)... no luck contacting her, this should help:

http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/living/guidelines/donating-blood/

Plenty of people cannot donate, for example:

Donors must wait six months after having a tattoo or body piercing before donating blood or bone marrow. The reason for this temporary deferral is the increased risk of Hepatitis C and other infections associated with tattoos and piercing. Other similar procedures that may fall under this category include acupuncture and electrolysis.

spikerS
01-23-2014, 08:47 PM
ok, so I have some questions.

I have no clue what my blood type is, could be positive, negative, realist or optimist, and has never been graded by a teacher. Can I still donate?

To the best of my knowledge, I have no communicable diseases, but I have not been tested in a LONG time. Can I still donate?

Knowing the above, what is the procedure for me as a first time donor? Do I need paperwork from my doctor? Do I just show up, and they test it all for me, tell me? what my blood type is for next time? Tell me to get testing done? what?

Or do they stick anyone that comes in, and test each sample before sending it off or whatever?

msommers
01-23-2014, 08:59 PM
http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/E_Can_I_Donate

I've been thinking about this more and more lately but something has held me back and I have no idea why. It seems intimidating to me for some retarded reason

Env-Consultant
01-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by spikers

I have no clue what my blood type is, could be positive, negative, realist or optimist, and has never been graded by a teacher. Can I still donate?

To the best of my knowledge, I have no communicable diseases, but I have not been tested in a LONG time. Can I still donate?

Knowing the above, what is the procedure for me as a first time donor? Do I need paperwork from my doctor? Do I just show up, and they test it all for me, tell me? what my blood type is for next time? Tell me to get testing done? what?

Or do they stick anyone that comes in, and test each sample before sending it off or whatever?

1) After you donate blood for the first time, they will send you a donor card along with your blood type.

2) Every time you donate, you have to fill out a questionnaire, then go through a short interview with a nurse. After the interview, they give you privacy and you choose either a "use my blood" or "do not use my blood" barcode to stick on your sheet. You then throw out the sheet in a sealed container so nobody can see which one you chose. Basically, this allows you to go ohhh shit maybe doing needle drugs wasn't a good idea, but I'm too embarrassed to admit it/make a fool of myself. Also, after you leave, you can call anytime and tell them not to use your blood.

3) When you donate blood, there is another tube connected that goes to vials - your blood is tested for diseases every single time you donate. Your results are also sent to you. With that said, screening is never 100%, hence why they do the questionnaire and interview each and every time you donate.

4) Go to blood.ca or call 1-888-2-DONATE and book an appointment (easiest route) or you can go to the website and check when they have clinics open and do a walk-in - this could result in you waiting for a very long time and I'd suggest an appointment. You need nothing from your doctor.

Coles Notes:

They will tell you your blood type after you donate.

You do a questionnaire/interview each time you donate.

Your blood is screened for diseases each and every time you donate.

You need nothing from your doctor. Just make sure you have 2 pieces of ID (I believe 1 has to be picture) and your Alberta Healthcare card.

Check out Blood.ca to make an appointment. If you're interested in getting on the match list to donate bone marrow, check out onematch.ca. Remember, if you're on the list and need marrow, it's a hell of a lot easier and faster to find you a match if your information is already in that system.

Next whole blood donation clinic is on March 3 (next date I'm eligible to donate). You can donate every 56 days (whole blood) - if you donate whole blood, you can't donate plasma or platelets for 56 days; however, if you strictly stick to plasma and platelets it's more frequent (usually 1 and 2 weeks depending on plasma or platelets).

Make an appointment for March 3 - mine is at 6:00. Hope to see you there!

Env-Consultant
01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Not quite sure I would call donating bone marrow a "minor" procedure. Done under anesthesia in an OR, they drill holes in your large bones (pelvis and sometimes femur) and use large gauge needles to remove the marrow. It can be a painful recovery and even the website states up to a week off for some people.

I guess it depends on your definition of minor, with respect to surgeries. I'm not trying to downplay it, I mean, it isn't like getting stitches. To me, a major procedure is hip replacements, open heart surgery, etc - things that will affect you for months.

Would I take a week off work, getting wrecked on painkillers, to donate marrow to a complete stranger? Absolutely. If I know my employer as well as I think I do, he would probably pay me for the week too if he knew why I was off.

To each their own. To me, the costs are so minimal compared to the benefits that I wouldn't question doing it. That's just me though, I wouldn't hold it against somebody if they chose not to go ahead with it.

Env-Consultant
01-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by msommers
http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/E_Can_I_Donate

I've been thinking about this more and more lately but something has held me back and I have no idea why. It seems intimidating to me for some retarded reason

F&ck, sorry about the numerous replies, instead of jamming them all into one.

The first time is actually pretty funny - they'll make you wear a "First Donation" type sticker on your shirt and you might feel like a bit of a goof, but who cares - everybody is there for the same reason and it's a great atmosphere. The needle is likely going to be bigger than you expect, but just turn your head away when they stick you if you're not cool with watching that - I've never minded needles and had to watch my first time, just because. It's far from intimidating. Just go sometime, or go with a friend/family member to make it more comfortable - you'll see that you're worrying for nothing. :thumbsup:

BigDL
01-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Call and make an appointment with the downtown location, its comfy and they give food.

They will test you and also figure out your type and stuff. They will get you to fill out a questionnaire and ask you questions.

JVR1
01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
the first time i donated downtown a few years ago the volunteer kitchen guy said since it was my first time (sticker displayed) i wasn't allowed to have the soup, just a cookie/juice.

not that it stopped/insulted me, just found it amusing. now when i go, i get all the soup i want - must have street cred for donating frequently.

:rofl:

speedog
01-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JVR1
the first time i donated downtown a few years ago the volunteer kitchen guy said since it was my first time (sticker displayed) i wasn't allowed to have the soup, just a cookie/juice.

not that it stopped/insulted me, just found it amusing. now when i go, i get all the soup i want - must have street cred for donating frequently.

Weird, haven't seen that happen with other first timers and even when I've brought my kids when they were younger, they got soup/cookies/drinks as well.

As a side note, the shitty thing about donating platelets now in Calgary is that it's no longer in the same area as the whole blood donations and I really miss the antics of the whole blood donors, lots of drama over there. It's especially amusing when the corporate stuff is going on, one would think that the world would stop turning if some of these donors hadn't come in - they're on their third or maybe fifth donation and think they're really one-upping everyone else on their crew. They should be introduced to some of the old timer plasma people that are over 600 or 900 donations, now that is commitment.

Never the less, Canadian Blood Services will take every new or return donor they can get regardless of how pompous the donator may be and yeah, the usual cliche jokes, those volunteer people haven't ever heard them. Really, they haven't.

BigDL
01-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Weird, haven't seen that happen with other first timers and even when I've brought my kids when they were younger, they got soup/cookies/drinks as well.

As a side note, the shitty thing about donating platelets now in Calgary is that it's no longer in the same area as the whole blood donations and I really miss the antics of the whole blood donors, lots of drama over there. It's especially amusing when the corporate stuff is going on, one would think that the world would stop turning if some of these donors hadn't come in - they're on their third or maybe fifth donation and think they're really one-upping everyone else on their crew. They should be introduced to some of the old timer plasma people that are over 600 or 900 donations, now that is commitment.

Never the less, Canadian Blood Services will take every new or return donor they can get regardless of how pompous the donator may be and yeah, the usual cliche jokes, those volunteer people haven't ever heard them. Really, they haven't.

Having the personal TV was good too, able to watch the game when someone else was watching something different. Also, get to see the noobs keep missing the veins :D

lasimmon
01-24-2014, 10:45 AM
In Edmonton they used to have subway sandwiches or other more dinner type meals. In University we would go donate so we could have free dinner since we were poor students :rofl:

speedog
01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by BigDL
Loading out on calcium helps, but only so much. I don't know how many of those tums I been though.
Tums - you'd be a platelet donor then?

If so, how do you like the new machines? I find them considerably faster which is always good on a platelet donation and especially so on a large volume donation.

Do miss the personal TV's/internet though.

speedog
01-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
In Edmonton they used to have subway sandwiches or other more dinner type meals. In University we would go donate so we could have free dinner since we were poor students :rofl:
What food/drink/deserts are offered really depends on the day. Soup and the generic cookies are always there but last week when I did platelets, there were Crave cupcakes - not my thing though. Have seen some pretty good eats at times in Calgary as well depending on which company might be donating food.

jonsey737
01-24-2014, 11:51 AM

I think they just extra it from your blood a lot of times now. They'll have you take some medication for a few weeks to boost your marrow output and then they can extra enough of it in your blood with a machine. I think this way is becoming much more common now compared to drilling into your bone.

BigDL
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Tums - you'd be a platelet donor then?

If so, how do you like the new machines? I find them considerably faster which is always good on a platelet donation and especially so on a large volume donation.

Do miss the personal TV's/internet though.

I been deferred for a year because of my Asia trip last year, should be going back in a month or two.

speedog
01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by jonsey737
I think they just extra it from your blood a lot of times now. They'll have you take some medication for a few weeks to boost your marrow output and then they can extra enough of it in your blood with a machine. I think this way is becoming much more common now compared to drilling into your bone.
Although from the blood may be a procedure, it would appear that is not the case in Canada for the most part - Canadian Blood Service related info here (https://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/E_UBMDR_L3?OpenDocument).

I do know that when I was called up on a possible match a few years ago, I was informed it would be made form the pelvis.

Mibz
01-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Although from the blood may be a procedure, it would appear that is not the case in Canada for the most part - Canadian Blood Service related info here (https://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/E_UBMDR_L3?OpenDocument).

I do know that when I was called up on a possible match a few years ago, I was informed it would be made form the pelvis. So is it a situation where they take a marrow sample once and then contact you if somebody needs yours? Are there potential consequences to donating it? Am I going to turn into a frail old man later in life?

And thanks to spikers for asking all the blood-related questions I wanted to :D

EDIT: I suppose I could just read the link you just posted :P

Env-Consultant
01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JVR1

I think they didn't give you soup your first time because hot foods after you donate can make you dizzy/light-headed. Being that it was your first time donating, they likely wanted to see how you reacted to donating blood for your first time. Or, they were picking on the n00b!

Just go with the latter and eat your soup like a total boss everytime you go there. Slurp your soup with no regard for anyone else in the room.

jonsey737
01-24-2014, 04:03 PM

I do know that when I was called up on a possible match a few years ago, I was informed it would be made form the pelvis.

Good to know. It's been awhile since I signed up and a lot of my info could have been USA based. I'd still donate no problems if I was a match.

bignerd
01-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
So is it a situation where they take a marrow sample once and then contact you if somebody needs yours? Are there potential consequences to donating it? Am I going to turn into a frail old man later in life?

And thanks to spikers for asking all the blood-related questions I wanted to :D

EDIT: I suppose I could just read the link you just posted :P

I think they try and match you based on blood samples and cells in your blood (they run more extensive tests, not just typing blood etc).

The donation of "marrow" that the other person is talking about from the blood is NOT bone marrow, it is another type of cell that makes blood and you take injections before donating to boost these numbers. As far as I know bone marrow can only be taken from large bones.

I always find it interesting driving through the US and seeing all the places that PAY you for your blood donation. Some people go the max they can to supplement their income, not sure how profitable it is exactly. Seems odd to me they can be paid for it, you aren't allowed to be compensated for organ donation but blood products are okay.

Env-Consultant
01-24-2014, 08:16 PM

I think they try and match you based on blood samples and cells in your blood (they run more extensive tests, not just typing blood etc).

The donation of "marrow" that the other person is talking about from the blood is NOT bone marrow, it is another type of cell that makes blood and you take injections before donating to boost these numbers. As far as I know bone marrow can only be taken from large bones.

I always find it interesting driving through the US and seeing all the places that PAY you for your blood donation. Some people go the max they can to supplement their income, not sure how profitable it is exactly. Seems odd to me they can be paid for it, you aren't allowed to be compensated for organ donation but blood products are okay.

Huge problems with people not being truthful about their history with paying people for donations. Screening is done, but keep in mind there are false negatives and false positives - I'm happy they don't pay for anything in AB - I think a company in ONT pays for plasma - you can imagine the people $20 for an hour plus travel attracts...

speedog
01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Donation 130 this coming Monday.

Unknown303
01-24-2014, 09:03 PM
I keep wanting to donate and then I end up getting another tattoo. Hopefully this spring once I get my "final" touch ups done I can start the 6 month wait to get in.

ExtraSlow
01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
what's that, two per year?

Env-Consultant
01-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Donation 130 this coming Monday.

You love to brag! But good on you - unless you're a brave fireman, honest cop, surgeon, or superhero, it's hard to save lives. Huge respect and no judgment - just bustin' your balls.

Are any of you sissy-girls going to join me on March 3? I don't care where you are in Calgary, I'll pick you up and drop you off.

Even my soon to be fiance, who barely meets the minimum weight requirement and hates needles, is going to join me.

I get it if you have several kids, something planned, a ridiculous schedule, etc - but if you think you'll be sitting in front of a tv or computer all night on that Monday, just make an account on Blood.ca and book an appointment - you won't regret it.

speedog
01-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Hooked up right now for #130, have a high platelet count today so am doing a large volume donation that will be going to a 46 year old woman at the Foothills Hospital who's battling leukemia. My large volume donation from two weeks ago also went to the same lady. Under 70 minutes on the machine today.

BigDL
01-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Hooked up right now for #130, have a high platelet count today so am doing a large volume donation that will be going to a 46 year old woman at the Foothills Hospital who's battling leukemia. My large volume donation from two weeks ago also went to the same lady. Under 70 minutes on the machine today.

Nice, how many cycles is that?

speedog
01-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BigDL
Nice, how many cycles is that? I really don't know, don't bother keeping count anymore. Only know that is was 56 minutes on the machine plus your prep time before and afterwards. The new machines are considerably faster, less prone to problems and I find the whole procedure to be less intrusive now (less lip tingling, no chest/hand shaking/tremors).

Platelet count was at 320 today - in the past this would've been around 90-95 minutes on the old machines for a large volume donation, 56 minutes on the new machine today.

bignerd
01-27-2014, 07:09 PM
less lip tingling, no chest/hand shaking/tremors

Sounds lovely.

baygirl
01-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Platelet count was at 320 today - in the past this would've been around 90-95 minutes on the old machines for a large volume donation, 56 minutes on the new machine today.
As someone who has had a platelet count of 4, thanks for donating:clap:

speedog
01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Sounds lovely.
Having done all three kinds of donations (whole blood, plasma and platelets), I can honestly say that the platelet donation is the most interesting. Not the most taxing on the body by any means (whole blood is the most taxing), just the most interesting during the donation process.

If you're iffy about any of this but still want to do a donation that is the easiest on the body, then plasma is the way to go. What's nice about plasma is that you can do it weekly which makes it quite easy to fit into a busy schedule.

speedog
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
As someone who has had a platelet count of 4, thanks for donating:clap:
4 for real? Wow, there must be some serious complications that come along with that.

speedog
02-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Env-Consultant - how many volunteers so far?

Env-Consultant
03-21-2014, 04:38 PM
None - this forum is chalked full of huge, droopy pussies! :rofl:

I'm visiting my family in Camrose this weekend; while rolling into town I noticed a blood donation sign. Currently in a chair waiting to get my hemoglobin checked and should be donating whole blood shortly.

May 16 will be my next eligible date - send me some PMs - we'll make a Beyond Blood Drive out of it.

Just pulled the stitches out of my face a few days ago (hockey puck) - happy that doesn't screw me out of getting my blood donated!

Have a good weekend guys!

D'z Nutz
10-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Bump.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2014/09/30/canadas_blood_supply_critically_low.html

Canada’s blood supply ‘critically low’
Canada's blood supply is “critically low,” which could result in hospitals delaying treatment for some patients.

By: Isabel Teotonio Living reporter, Published on Tue Sep 30 2014

Canada’s blood supply is “critically low,” which could result in hospitals delaying treatment for some patients.

On Tuesday, the Canadian Blood Services made an “urgent appeal” for eligible donors of all blood types, especially those with type O and A.

“There are patients who may need to defer treatment because there’s not enough blood,” said Michael Betel, director of donor relations for South Central Ontario. “We’re not there yet, but it’s creeping up to that point.”

Ideally, the CBS likes to have an inventory of between five and eight days’ worth of blood. Currently, it has about three days’ worth of blood from the major blood types – levels not seen since 2008.

“That’s pretty serious. What it means is that real patients’ lives are at stake, which could mean that at some point soon hospitals may need to defer elective or routine treatments.”

The shortage can be attributed to a slow summer, fewer walk-ins, and a greater-than expected number of cancellations and no-shows. As of April 1, there have been 133,000 cancellations and 119,000 no-shows.

CBS says it’s researching why donors are cancelling or not showing up. Betel suspects that some people wrongly assume that if they don’t make it to their appointment, someone else will fill the spot.

“People believe there’s always somebody there to fill the chair. But that does not happen. In many cases, their spots are never filled.”

To avoid a blood shortage, all donor clinics have additional staff, some working overtime, to support walk-ins.

To book an appointment, download the GiveBlood app, visit blood.ca or call 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283).

lasimmon
10-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Yah they need lots right now. I donated ~6 weeks ago. Got a few more weeks before I can go again.

speedog
10-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Am trying, donated platelets 3 times in past 7 weeks, had to cancel last appointment because of a cold. 9 donations on the year and a single platelet donation can equate to anywhere from 6 to 18 whole blood donations.

D'z Nutz
10-06-2014, 10:52 PM
I should also add, since I didn't see it mentioned in this thread and I didn't find out until I actually went there, but the downtown clinic has free parking for donors.

speedog
10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I should also add, since I didn't see it mentioned in this thread and I didn't find out until I actually went there, but the downtown clinic has free parking for donors.
Sometimes it's full but they do have other off-site parking available - one just needs to inquire at the front desk.

SKR
10-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Are you supposed to know what your blood type is, or do they figure that out? Because I know mine is red and that's about it.

MalibuStacy
10-07-2014, 08:21 AM
I used to donate until they found out about my heart condition, which has put me out of the donation pool all together because they don't want to moniker my heart. Even though my physician hascleared me for wrestling and allowed e to make weight cuts; I am still not allowed to donate. sigh

ExtraSlow
10-07-2014, 08:27 AM
They'll tell you what your blood type is. It'll be on the donor card that you get in the mail sometime after the first donation.

I'm booked to head down today with some folks from work. Hydrating. With the shortages in the news this week, it's actually pretty hard to get in, which is good to hear.

Anyone who hasn't tried it, give them a shout at the 1-888-2-donate number and set up an appointment.

D'z Nutz
10-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by SKR
Are you supposed to know what your blood type is, or do they figure that out? Because I know mine is red and that's about it.

The only thing you need to know about is your general health history (eg: if you have diabetes, took medication recently, visited a doctor recently, etc). They'll figure out if you're good to donate during the screening.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Anyone who hasn't tried it, give them a shout at the 1-888-2-donate number and set up an appointment.

You don't even need to call. You can download the app and book the appointment through there.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.blood.giveblood

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id804765636

ExtraSlow
10-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Oh, I'm kind of old school that way, I like chatting with the lady on the phone. Although maybe I'll give that app a try.

revelations
10-07-2014, 09:08 AM
They keep phoning me like leeches since I have O+ blood (almost as good as O-, UNIVERSAL DONOR) :rofl:

Its just too bad that their mobile clinics are so random and dont start for a month in many places near my area - going all the way DT just doesent make sense for me. :dunno:

Zero102
10-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I've done whole blood just about 30 times now and am eligible again in 2 weeks. It's going to take a long ass time to get to 100 doing whole blood so I was thinking of doing something else such as plasma or platelets. It sounds like platelets is the most beneficial thing to do and I'm not worried about it being taxing, I've never had any issues donating whole blood.

When it comes to donating platelets, what is the procedure to get into that? It was mentioned here that you find out who you are donating to, does that mean you have to be matched to a donor? Do they call you in only when somebody matching you is in need or do you go on a schedule?

D'z Nutz
10-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
When it comes to donating platelets, what is the procedure to get into that? It was mentioned here that you find out who you are donating to, does that mean you have to be matched to a donor? Do they call you in only when somebody matching you is in need or do you go on a schedule?

I think you're mixing that up with bone marrow.

BigDL
10-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

You will need to talk to them at the clinic about Platelets, there is more involved to it than just showing up. Call and ask about that.

You can go in every 2 or 3 weeks I think for platelets, I can't remember exactly. But they will call you in specifically if there is a match for someone. I just go when I can no pressure or anything to show up on a set schedule. You just need to make an appoitment. There is a limited amount of people that can donate at once, they have I think 3 or 4 chairs that they stagger when people start.

killramos
10-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I have always wanted to do it but i do have a fairly severe aversion to needles etc. I have fainted while having an IV line put in for general anesthetic prior to surgery...

The anesthesiologist apparently freaked out and delayed surgery for me to wake back up...

speedog
04-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Bump, am doing 141 right now, count is at 325 so it'll be a large volume donation to the person I'm matched to (51 year old lady battling leukemia). Curious as to what others have been doing with respect to donations.

ExtraSlow
04-15-2015, 03:46 PM
I do whole blood. I was pretty regular for a while, then off for a few years, and I'm back on a pretty regular schedule again. Have gone maybe 13 times total now?
It helps that the downtown location is relatively near my office, and they hold it on a day I'm usually not busy, so I'm pretty much on the every 56 days program now.

Still, donating at the 13th avenue location is better, because you get soup. So if you can do an 11:00 Am donation, you eat your soup afterwards, and you have your lunch taken care of. Ultimate cheap-ass tip. They often have better cookies as well.

95EagleAWD
04-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Best part of donating blood besides the cookies after, is going drinking! I usually go with a buddy and we usually head to a pub after haha.

The nurses are always horrified to hear that, but it's pretty funny.