PDA

View Full Version : Booking travel using VPN

n1zm0
01-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Just saw this on gizmodo, if anyone wants to give it a try see if it actually works? Will test when I get home.

Long version: I was looking for flights to New Orleans when I realized that the flight price I checked yesterday was ~$100 cheaper. I started to think why the price went up so much in one day and tried checking the flight again using only Google Incognito but there was no price budge. Maybe my VPN had something to do with it? The night before I was using a VPN (I use BTGuard btw) and Kayak thought I was from Toronto, Canada. I guess if you are not from the departure city then flights are cheaper?

~

Moral of the story? Try booking your flights through a VPN, maybe you'll save a few bucks….. even if you pay in euros.

PS: I checked my online bank statement and I paid $281.60 total!

PPS: The flight is now over $400 on a non-VPN via Kayak + Google Incognito

http://gizmodo.com/how-i-hacked-kayak-and-booked-a-cheaper-flight-1507368539

rage2
01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
There's an easier way. Check for flights and buy using international Expedia sites. You'd be surprised at how big of a difference there is when booking the exact same flight through their international sites even after currency conversion costs.

Example, BLR <-> BKK is half the price on expedia.co.in vs expedia.ca/com, and BLR <-> HKG was 60% cheaper through expedia.com.hk compared to expedia.ca/com.

n1zm0
01-23-2014, 12:09 PM
^That's good to know tnx, have to book an upcoming S.E Asia flight for later this year.

Tik-Tok
01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by rage2
There's an easier way. Check for flights and buy using international Expedia sites. You'd be surprised at how big of a difference there is when booking the exact same flight through their international sites even after currency conversion costs.

Example, BLR &lt;-&gt; BKK is half the price on expedia.co.in vs expedia.ca/com, and BLR &lt;-&gt; HKG was 60% cheaper through expedia.com.hk compared to expedia.ca/com.

Wow. Just... wow.

Looked up prices between Calgary and Barcelona (wife was talking about it for next year).

Exact same flights, exact same operators...

Expedia.ca -> C$4,128.36
Expedia.co.uk -> C$2671.53

whiskas
01-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Yep, expedia.ca is almost never the cheapest price. I wonder if this is the case with other travel sites.

rage2
01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
You're welcome.

I've also noticed that some flights booked through Expedia.ca/com are restricted so you can't even pay for business/first class upgrades at the gate, where as international expedia bookings don't have such restrictions. Haven't found the exact trend here, so it's all speculation based on a few experiences.

GQBalla
01-23-2014, 01:16 PM
just did
expedia.co.uk and expedia.ca
Calgary to LA

Saves me 30 bucks on co.uk but also a direct flight instead of 1 stop over.

Any negatives of booking tickets through this way?

Will be using this on my next trip

msommers
01-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Noticed this when I was booking flights for Europe. It's disgusting. Also use a PC, clear all your cache and search history etc. I've heard it gets more expensive if you're looking and it picks up cookies or something.

That reminds me, I need to get a VPN setup. VPN Traffic totally shit the bed on me.

taemo
01-23-2014, 01:30 PM
nice, this will come handy for international flights!

was comparing Orlando flights for this May on both xpedia.ca, expedia.co.uk and expedia.co.uk looks to be 20/30$ cheaper per person.
but you should also take into consideration the currency conversion.

i like to use google flights too for finding the cheapest airfares

revelations
01-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Also, clear your history (or surf anonymously) .... some of the travel sites look at your history and adjust their prices accordingly.

If for eg, you visited a new car website lately (vs kijiji) then they may raise the prices they show you online.

zipdoa
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Anyone else use flights.google.com ?

revelations
01-24-2014, 01:47 AM
yes, love the graphs