PDA

View Full Version : Fiber drop and colocation

syscal
01-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Getting options for relocating our datacenter. We're between Calgary and Edmonton right now and bleeding money in bandwidth costs.

Looking to move our equipment into Vancouver and TO for less than 1/3rd the price of Calgary/Edm...but...we need to be able to attach seed loads to the equipment for online backups. If I use remote "hands on" it's too expensive to bother.

One option is to drop 100MB fiber from our rack in Van into Calgary and load through that. The issue is that we don't have an office space anymore. I live in SW, and can't get fiber to my house. Is anyone aware of a place where a guy can drop fiber in an accessible closet for a monthly fee?

Trying to evaluate all scenarios here so this is one of 100...

Before getting bombarded with "US is cheaper", the data has to stay in Canada.

nzwasp
01-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Would telus even give you 100 Mbps fiber to a residential home if you were able to rent something?

BokCh0y
01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Have you looked into Shaw Fiber? They bought Enmax Envision and offer really really competitive pricing now.

I know there's also place that is similar to Q9 that offers DC/CoLo services.

I also know of have you checked out the smaller outfits in Calgary for CoLo services as well?

PM and I can give you some contact info to get moving.

ExtraSlow
01-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Anyone else see the words "fiber drop and colo" and think of a bodily function? Just me? Oh well. :dunno:

jwslam
01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Anyone else see the words "fiber drop and colo" and think of a bodily function? Just me? Oh well. :dunno:
TOTALLY what I was thinking, because I mis-read that this was the newest thread under the Food section.

syscal
01-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Originally posted by jwslam

TOTALLY what I was thinking, because I mis-read that this was the newest thread under the Food section.

Fixed!

UndrgroundRider
01-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Hrm, kind of tough when you're not doing enough volume to make it worth while to hire someone in Van, yet still enough volume to make it a worth while venture.

Here's what I'd do. I'd throw a 1u server with a couple hotswap bays into a colo here in Calgary. You can probably work out which one is most economical based on the number of times you'll need to access the rack a month and the amount of data transfer you'll be doing.

Every time you need to seed a remote backup just load it onto a drive and throw it into your colo server. The colo might get a little pissy if you're there a few times a week, so I'd let them know your intentions first. This is probably the most economical route in terms of bandwidth costs. A 1u in a shared rack should be pretty cheap, and your backup data should be encrypted anyway so there shouldn't be any security issues.

sputnik
01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
What is a "seed load"?

Not exactly sure what the requirements are here to make an educated recommendation.

syscal
01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
What is a "seed load"?

Not exactly sure what the requirements are here to make an educated recommendation.

If you're trying to backup a large data set then you would perform the first backup to USB and ship it to the data center. Most SBS clients have DSL or Cable and some of the older areas like around Standens max out at 3MB down 512K up with no option for Shaw...so even 50GB of data takes forever to move. Same thing would go for a restore, if you had a DR restore of 1TB of data you'd be better off with me shipping the encrypted export to you on a hard drive than waiting for that download.

Anything pushed to a seedload drive is encrypted the same as it would be online, it's literally using the USB as a temporary remote target for backup.

ExtraSlow
01-24-2014, 03:52 PM
COME ON GUYS. Seed load? you are killing me.