PDA

View Full Version : washing machine on own circuit?

eblend
01-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Does the washing machine need to be on its own circuit or can I run the laundry room lights off the same circuit?

codetrap
01-25-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the washing machine is just a normal load, unless you've got a 220 washer. When I kill my breaker to the laundry room, it takes out the washer plug as well.

eblend
01-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Sweet thanks for the info. After I posted this I did more digging online and found a city of calgary homeowner electrical guide and it didn't make any mention of a washing machine dedicated circuit. It just says a circuit for a laundry room, which is good cuz I didn't want to run q whole new circuit just for 2 light bulbs.

90accord
01-25-2014, 03:46 PM
According to the electrical code it does need to be on it's own circuit...

Xtrema
01-25-2014, 04:54 PM
DIY testing, keep laundry room lights on, keep a night light in every plug, flip the break and see what goes and what stays.

I'll not be surprised if the whole room, including the washer is tie to the same breaker. Especially for older homes. Washers only draws 4-6A on average, there's plenty left for a 15A breaker to handle.

That said, my washer is separate breaker than the rest of room. My ancient top load can flip the breaker easy when I overload it.

mobius
01-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 90accord
According to the electrical code it does need to be on it's own circuit...

This. A properly wired laundry room will have a separate circuit just for the washer, a 125/250V 30A circuit for a dryer, and another circuit for a required convenience outlet and/or lights.

eblend
01-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Weird that the electrical guide from City of Calgary makes no mention of this.

this is right from their homeowner permits and electrical guide:

Laundry Room or Area
42. Install a separate circuit and include at least one receptacle for the washing machine and another one in a convenient location.

Reading that, it appears that own circuit for the laundry room itself and at least 2 plugs off of it, one for the washing machine and another spare one.