PDA

View Full Version : how important is airflow over an intercooler?

spikerS
01-25-2014, 03:06 PM
OK, so before you all jump down my throat, remember this is my first turbo'd vehicle. I still don't have a full understanding of how the turbo and CAC work together. I mean, I have a basic understanding, but I am by no means an expert.

So my question is, how important is air flow over your intercooler? In my mind, the air can really only be cooled down to ambient air temp. so how much airflow do you really need?

I ask because I really would like to put a winch bumper on my truck, but finding one that is appropriate for my truck is next to impossible as most say they are not compatible with the ecoboost because they would cover the front CAC.

So how much of the airflow can i restrict before I start seeing performance loss? or will I? or how much power loss can I expect if I pretty much block it off with a bumper?

A790
01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
The more air that flows over the intercooler the cooler the the compressed air being fed into the engine is. You don't need an intercooler for a turbo'd engine to run, but if you start limiting its effectiveness you will notice changes to how the vehicle behaves.

ExtraSlow
01-25-2014, 03:46 PM
you have to realize, when the turbo compresses the air, it's temperature goes up. so cooling it back down to ambient is a big improvement in density.

There's a reason Ford put the license plate off to the side on the ecoboost and not on the 5.0

sr20s14zenki
01-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Yep.

An air to air intercooler relies on the airflow over the fins/tubes to bring down the IATs, and believe me, it makes a big difference. On the dyno, with the fans blowing at my intercooler, one side is warm to the touch, and the cool side, is very cold. It also really depends on how OVERefficient ford designed the intercooler to be.

In a word, it wouldn't be ideal....

Tik-Tok
01-25-2014, 06:03 PM
If you absolutely must have a bumper winch (personally, I'd just get a front hitch receiver...), you could put in a water to air intercooler. That way you'd never have to worry about clogging it up with mud either.

jacky4566
01-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Check out frozenboost.com

If you mechanically inclined. build one yourself.
Air to Water has its advantages and disadvantages so do your homework.

m10-power
01-25-2014, 08:55 PM
if its stock, probably not that big of an issue, they are designed for worst case, which Calgary is not. I'd add a water meth injection system if your worried about it.

benyl
01-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
if its stock, probably not that big of an issue, they are designed for worst case, which Calgary is not. I'd add a water meth injection system if your worried about it.

Even in Alberta, on a hot day (30) I wouldn't want my intercooler blocked if I was towing a 25ft trailer in the mountains.

spikerS
01-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Check out frozenboost.com

If you mechanically inclined. build one yourself.
Air to Water has its advantages and disadvantages so do your homework.

yeah, i am lost on that site. :rofl: :rofl:

I already investigated the front mount receiver hitch, but I found 2 problems with it.

1) I have to either cut or remove the front air dam.
2) Vert pull is rated at 500lbs, Line pull is 9000lbs. I am planning on a 10,000lbs winch. was hoping for something that would wreck the winch before I tear something off the truck.

e31
01-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by spikers
was hoping for something that would wreck the winch before I tear something off the truck.

Sorry bud, but your dream truck is manufactured in another castle.

Darell_n
01-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by e31

Sorry bud, but your dream truck is manufactured in another castle.

All the 1/2 ton trucks built now are for commuting purposes only. AKA, new age mini-vans. Off-road and towing is HD.

Cos
01-26-2014, 09:42 AM

m10-power
01-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Even in Alberta, on a hot day (30) I wouldn't want my intercooler blocked if I was towing a 25ft trailer in the mountains.

doubt its block, reduced flow maybe but at highway speed less of an issue. certainly not the right truck for towing a big trailer in the mountains. Id be more worried about my brakes and transmisson then if I could do 120km/h up the big hills...

mr2mike
01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Not having seen the truck or how the IC sits. Could you get a fan over the IC? Front side or back side? Wire that in to run constantly and it would keep air going over your IC.
That's what guys do with side mount IC's with a motor in the rear. Works not too bad.

But I'm with benyl, you'll "notice" performance heat soak, very few times. Mostly, the ecu will compensate and you'll not notice the lack of power and adjustments that are made.
That being said, push it's limits and you'll overrun something.

Last thought, have a bumper modified with holes? Or something to redirect the air to the IC?

spikerS
01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
actually, I think I just found a solution this morning. I am just not keen on the price. I wonder if I could get this to work with the stock IC, and relocate it like this.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/How-to-Install-Ford-Eco-Boost-F150-Intercooler-CAC-performance-upgrade.php

mr2mike
01-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Nice!
Company is in Phoenix...Road trip.

Unknown303
01-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Why Ford didn't mount the IC higher off the start is a little beyond me. The big 3 have been doing it in all the HD series trucks for ages yet when they offer a turbo'd engine in the half tonnes they decide to re-engineer IC placement..

ercchry
01-28-2014, 12:33 PM
haha, yeah full race is pricey... umm, another idea, get a locally made custom bumper?

you could weld in some air ducts that forces the air to be directed behind the winch... or maybe offset the winch?

mr2mike
01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Why Ford didn't mount the IC higher off the start is a little beyond me.
Agreed.

In a truck, most will use it and get it dirty, it'll plug with mud, fins will get bent or worse, someone will clip something and puncture it.

Rally cars go IC over engine for this reason. WRX STi, Celica GT4, etc. Guess Ford doesn't care about longevity.

962 kid
01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Why Ford didn't mount the IC higher off the start is a little beyond me. The big 3 have been doing it in all the HD series trucks for ages yet when they offer a turbo'd engine in the half tonnes they decide to re-engineer IC placement..

When ducted, heat exchangers only need an inlet area of about 20-30 percent of the total surface area. Anything more increases chance of foreign object damage and reduces space available for other purposes

sillysod
02-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Your truck will just not boost if the intake air temps get too high. The computer will cut the boost and you will have a V6 with 4 pounds of boost. It will boost normally until it gets too hot then just kick the boost way down.

The cheapest and easiest way to overcome this if you want to cover it up partially and maintain boost is to get hooked on meth.

And just as heroin is to oxy, windshield washer fluid is cheap and easy to get anywhere and is just as good as meth.