PDA

View Full Version : Horrific crash during 2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona (Video)

rob the knob
01-25-2014, 05:30 PM
The 24 Hours of Daytona, often referred to as Rolex 24 at Daytona is a twenty-four hour endurance race that pits multiple drivers on teams against each other in one of the most popular racing events of the season.

Unfortunately, the ever-popular race was brought to a halt this afternoon as a devastating crash took place with a stalled car.

Television cameras picked up the number 62 Ferrari struggling, who had just finished coming around the International Horseshoe. Blinded, the the number 99 car driven by Memo Gidley slammed into the Ferrari driven by Matteo Malucelli and sent it airborne in one of the scariest crashes you’ll ever see.

It’s being reported that Malucellii was having electric problems and was unable to get his car into drive.

Both men were taken from the vehicles and immediately rushed to local hospitals. There are no updates on their conditions.

There are also unconfirmed reports (remember, unconfirmed) suggesting that one of the drivers feet actually went through the car floorboard and were pinned under the pedals.

Our best wishes to both drivers.

BymOht1DVSk

roll_over
01-25-2014, 06:14 PM
I was watching this after half an hour wait all the cars were still stopped

Graham_A_M
01-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Wow... that was a rear end like none Ive seen... the car just disintegrated... I earnestly hope they're both okay.
:eek:

xnvy
01-26-2014, 12:55 PM
At least they're both okay though. Nasty hit nonetheless.

rage2
01-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Better replays.

Gu4D-qJsz4U

shakalaka
01-26-2014, 01:04 PM
:eek:

Have to be super lucky to survive that!

510-Trevor
01-26-2014, 03:24 PM
The SPEED blog has posted the following update:

IMSA Statement

Memo Gidley, driver of the No. 99 GAINSCO / Bob Stallings Racing Corvette DP, underwent surgical procedures on both his left arm and left leg at Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Fla. Gidley also has an unstable fracture in his back which will require additional surgery before he can be released from the hospital. He continues to be evaluated.

Matteo Malucelli, driver of the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 Italia, remained at Halifax Health overnight for further evaluation. He continues to rest comfortably. An update on his condition will be provided later today.

Nav13
01-27-2014, 03:33 AM
I am not trying to lay blame here, but shouldn't the Ferrari have pulled off the track if he was coasting that slow?

Moonracer
01-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Nav13
I am not trying to lay blame here, but shouldn't the Ferrari have pulled off the track if he was coasting that slow?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Why the fuck didn't he pull off the road. I mean he did get out of the racing line but that's clearly not enough.

xnvy
01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
I think the Ferrari stayed on the track because he was diagnosing an electrical problem and thought he would be on his way soon. If he pulled off into the grass and the car stalled I doubt he would be able to get out of there without the assistance of tow or something.

I think the bigger issue here is lack of a yellow flag. Gidley had no chance of knowing that Ferrari was there, with a yellow he might have not tried such a move with the visibility he had. They should just make the ferris wheel turn yellow when there's an incident.

cloud7
01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Or use a white flag to signal a slow moving vehicle on track.

mikestypes
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
I think the Ferrari stayed on the track because he was diagnosing an electrical problem and thought he would be on his way soon. If he pulled off into the grass and the car stalled I doubt he would be able to get out of there without the assistance of tow or something.

I think the bigger issue here is lack of a yellow flag. Gidley had no chance of knowing that Ferrari was there, with a yellow he might have not tried such a move with the visibility he had. They should just make the ferris wheel turn yellow when there's an incident.

This. If they had a local yellow he couldn't have tried the move because he would not be able to pass under the yellow.

I was surprised with how little actual structure there is at the front of the prototypes. I bet that gets reviewed for next season.