PDA

View Full Version : Denver, CO Parking Mafia

BigShow
01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
When in Denver watch where you park!!

I ran into a drug store for about 15 minutes only to come out to a missing rental car.

Scoured the lot to find a tiny ass sign that says unattended cars would be towed after 30 mins. (As if a Shoppers parking lot in Calgary would ever tow people after 30 mins)

Called the number to learn the guys wanted $270 to release my car from their impound lot. My passport was in there so I really needed the car...but how do they get away with that? It's like they just watched me go in and then towed me right away, I was nowhere near the 30 minutes. Doesn't feel legal to me, but what choice do you have?

snowcat
01-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Was it an actual company or a dude and a tow truck?

BigShow
01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
They are a registered 'Recovery & Investigations' company...not sure what recourse one would have in this type of situation. I won't be back for small claims, so its an easy pay day for them.

AndyL
01-26-2014, 09:10 PM
And People bitch about calgary's system for UPPP :)

At least here you know where it's gonna end up and roughly how much it'll cost...

G
01-26-2014, 09:52 PM
I got a parking ticket in Phillidelphia for having my bumper stick 1 inch into a no park zone.

Kolbatron
01-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by G
I got a parking ticket in Phillidelphia for having my bumper stick 1 inch into a no park zone.

I always used to see that show Parking Wars or whatever it was called and a lot of the time it took place in Philadelphia. The "officers" did strike me as anal on that show for sure.

AudiPWR
01-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Welcome to Colorado. Lived there for 4 years.. Recieved over 30 parking tickets, got towed three times and got the boot twice for shit you wouldn't even get a warning ticket for here in Calgary. The second time I got the boot on my car, it was in the court parking lot because I was trying to fight some tickets I got for not registering my new vehicle with my condo board.

Xtrema
01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by BigShow
When in Denver watch where you park!!

I ran into a drug store for about 15 minutes only to come out to a missing rental car.

Scoured the lot to find a tiny ass sign that says unattended cars would be towed after 30 mins. (As if a Shoppers parking lot in Calgary would ever tow people after 30 mins)

Called the number to learn the guys wanted $270 to release my car from their impound lot. My passport was in there so I really needed the car...but how do they get away with that? It's like they just watched me go in and then towed me right away, I was nowhere near the 30 minutes. Doesn't feel legal to me, but what choice do you have?

Sounds like you were at a hot spot for easy tows.

Just like 3:30 at downtown core. You'll never see so many tow truck drivers work so fast and coordinated to clear the avenues. It's just easy pickings.

bignerd
01-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Yeah sounds like a scam.... bet they did exactly as you said. Plus they probably saw it was a rental... I would complain to the store manager or the mall management company, it is their lot and you were a legitimate customer.

There was an article in Macleans or something on shady ass tow truck drivers targeting people in Toronto and charging insane prices to get their cars back.