PDA

View Full Version : HELP! MWD - Associate Field Professional

OnePetro:)
01-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I was offered an opportunity to work for Sperry Sun (Halliburton) and the offer seems quite low for this position. I have previous experience in the oil field, but on the production side. In addition, a diploma in Petroleum Engineering Technology.

They offered $24k/base salary + $250/day every day your in the field.

Can someone Shed some lite on this for me. Is this to low, whats the job like ect. I'm seriously on the fence with this one and I don't know if I should take it or wait and see what else there is.

Thank you in advance.

Cos
01-28-2014, 04:38 PM

01-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Considering some of the guys I was working with work 300 days a year. If you worked the 300 days a year that means your offer is fro $99k to start. Doesn't seem bad to me but I haven't been in an MWD/DD office since 2008.

It doesn't seem bad if you actually get the 300 days a year. However, My experience on the production side was not great. I would be lucky to get 100 days a year. Which mean I make $50,000/year Which is shit when homes cost 300K+ in this province.

The two things that are the most important for me are.

Will I be happy
Will I make enough money to supplement my life
Will I have a chance to move into the office (by that I mean progress my career)

I went back to school hoping I would be able to land a desk job and enjoy my self a bit. But it seems that my program was built more for field work. Which I'm ok with as long as I have something to do. This makes me question if MWD if for me because from what I hear there is a lot of sitting and doing nothing, but watching the computer screen .... < - - - Which would drive me nuts.

Thanks for your reply Cos

CompletelyNumb
01-28-2014, 05:09 PM
That is a standard starting staff wage for someone with no prior MWD experience. Moving up in salary and day rate won't take long for a candidate with initiative and common sense.

However, if staring at a computer screen drives you nuts, it is not the job for you.

But if you can learn to leverage your time to do something more productive (work out, run an online business, skype people, hang out with the rig crew, build models, whatever), then the down time won't much matter.

And there will be downtime. 90% of your day is spent "monitoring" computers. But you don't have to be staring at them non stop. Just periodically to get the data you need.

I'm an MWD consultant, and I make 6 figures working half a year. So there's a lot of room for growth in the job. Financially at least.

Aerobat
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Apply with Pacesetter... 70+ jobs running
http://pacesetterdirectional.com/contact-us/careers-join-pacesetter-team/

01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
That is a standard starting staff wage for someone with no prior MWD experience. Moving up in salary and day rate won't take long for a candidate with initiative and common sense.

However, if staring at a computer screen drives you nuts, it is not the job for you.

But if you can learn to leverage your time to do something more productive (work out, run an online business, skype people, hang out with the rig crew, build models, whatever), then the down time won't much matter.

And there will be downtime. 90% of your day is spent &quot;monitoring&quot; computers. But you don't have to be staring at them non stop. Just periodically to get the data you need.

I'm an MWD consultant, and I make 6 figures working half a year. So there's a lot of room for growth in the job. Financially at least.

CompletelyNumb,

Thank you for you reply, that has relieved some anxiety. I'm a smart person and learn things quickly. When I asked the representative how long it would take to move to lead hand/level 2 or what ever its called, he said 6-7 month if your can understand the technical side, 1 year to 14 months if if you cant. After that he mentioned ($24K/year and $400/day + opportunity for field bonus). I have though about completing some more courses through distance education while working, which is appealing. I really need to keep my Brian busy and feel like I'm working toward something. These are the things that make happy.

It was just a bit of a surprise specially since I was making $275/day as a hand without education. I guess the plus is this at least has an opportunity to advance my career and I wont have to rig in 200 ft of flare line anymore. lol I'm not getting any younger.

Anyways I think I will take it and not think twice. Hopefully I get on with a good trainer that love this shit and is willing to teach.. oppose to a miserable A$$H@!3 that doesn't want to teach you anything.

one more question.
------------------------
how long does it take to move into either of these roles

Well planner or MWD coordinator?

CompletelyNumb
01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by OnePetro:)

one more question.
------------------------
how long does it take to move into either of these roles

Well planner or MWD coordinator?

If you're bright, easy to get along with and make friends in the office, you could coordinate in as little as a few years I would think. 5 is more reasonable to assume though. All depends how much you learn and how well you can apply it.

Well planning isn't a direct transition, I've never heard of anyone doing it. It pays significantly less than any job you've had in the oil patch though. I wouldn't ever suggest someone pursue that job. IMO

CompletelyNumb
01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat

Solid company, good equipment. Their EM coordinator is a great guy. They only hire consultants though, and will low ball the fuck out of you with no experience. Stick with a staff job at first. Chase the money once you can prove you're worth it.

01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat

Thank you for the tip I will keep them in mind in the future.

01-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

If you're bright, easy to get along with and make friends in the office, you could coordinate in as little as a few years I would think. 5 is more reasonable to assume though. All depends how much you learn and how well you can apply it.

Well planning isn't a direct transition, I've never heard of anyone doing it. It pays significantly less than any job you've had in the oil patch though. I wouldn't ever suggest someone pursue that job. IMO

Thanks, this is great feed back. I qualify for all of the above. lol

SKR
01-29-2014, 08:13 AM
The lower starting pay should be offset by better training. If directional companies are anything like mud companies the bigger ones do a better job of training than the smaller ones do, and you can turn that into more money down the road.

01-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by SKR
The lower starting pay should be offset by better training. If directional companies are anything like mud companies the bigger ones do a better job of training than the smaller ones do, and you can turn that into more money down the road.

Here's hoping :thumbsup:

adamc
01-29-2014, 08:49 PM
I'd be super curious to see what Pacesetter is offering consultants. If anyone gets any direct day rate quotes from them, I'd appreciate a PM.

themack89
01-29-2014, 11:05 PM
That is pretty much same pay as Phoenix (to start anyways)... If you take job with Sperry let us know what the training is like. Mine is pretty intensive, the amount of material and homework is enough to keep me busy for the past week and a half from 5am to 10pm.

Halli or Baker was my first preference, they have some sweet toys.

CompletelyNumb
01-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Pacesetter starts consultants with 0 experience at $200 or $300. Expect to stay there for a minimum of three months. From there raises often come in $50 chunks. In two years at pacesetter I was making $600/day all in. Went to another company and got %50 more from day one.

themack89
01-31-2014, 06:54 PM
How long would you guys recommend working with EM until you wanna try and jump to pulse? resistivity?

adamc
01-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Until you know it.

djmax147
02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi OnePetro:),

Do you have any revelant experience before got this offer? or do you have any idea on how to get a mwd job? thx

Supa Dexta
02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Associate field professional.. :rofl: Halliburton sucks, they'll pay you shit, run you ragged and toss you first chance they don't need you. Or just sit you and expect you to live off peanuts. Until busy season and then no days off.

SJW
02-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Associate field professional.. :rofl: Halliburton sucks, they'll pay you shit, run you ragged and toss you first chance they don't need you. Or just sit you and expect you to live off peanuts. Until busy season and then no days off.

I started off many moons ago with Schlumberger down in Louisiana. It was the same way mostly. They didn't care about you at all, however, I did learn a lot of skills. I brought them back to Canada and it's turned into a pretty good career for me. I've been designing MWD and directional drilling tools for almost 10 years now. I know the industry pretty well and if anyone has any questions I can answer what I can via PM if you're interested.

It is very hard to break in unless you have a technical diploma or degree with the big boys. With the smaller directional companies you kind of need to know someone who will take a chance on you.

SJW
02-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Also this is a good doc to help anyone understand what MWD is about.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34374333/Directional-Surveying-Fundamentals-2001

CompletelyNumb
02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Have you designed anything that's being widely used in alberta SJW?