PDA

View Full Version : NZ school causes heart attack for soccer moms because....

revelations
01-28-2014, 09:30 PM
.... they REMOVED all the main rules from recess/lunch. Now scooters with JUMPS are allowed, bull rush, playing with STICKS, mud and SELF enforcement (eg kids make their own rules).

And guess what, no one has died!

Sounds like back to the 80s to me anyway ...

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/school-ditches-rules-and-loses-bullies-5807957

GTS4tw
01-28-2014, 11:22 PM
The USA should invade this backward country full of barbarians.

max_boost
01-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Yep and that's how a playground should b.

revelations
01-29-2014, 12:51 AM
Maybe this will catch on here in NA .... maybe

killramos
01-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Sure as hell beats playing soccer without a ball...

speedog
01-29-2014, 08:42 AM
I would bet that there's not a decent climbable tree in any CBE school yard - all the mature trees I see have had all their branches trimmed so as to be out of reach.

Biggest problem I see here in Calgary is can the darlings with their cellphones (remember that thread?) play in such an unstructured environment?

bjstare
01-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Sure as hell beats playing soccer without a ball... And not keeping score once the game gets too one-sided.

I can only hope by the time I have kids and they're in school that this has caught on a little more. I will not raise my kids to be pussies, and I don't want them to get in trouble for being normal kids.

klumsy_tumbler
01-29-2014, 08:44 AM
I miss the days where kids were given the freedom to make their own decisions... If you made a mistake, you probably got a bruise or a scrape (or if you really buggered up that jump off the jungle gym, a broken arm). Those consequences sucked but kids LEARNED from them, and common sense was gained.

Has anybody ever watched that Tim Allen show "Last Man Standing"? One of the episodes basically revolves around this topic. That show is srsly golden, and actually makes up for all of his terrible Christmas movies

Hallowed_point
01-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yep and that's how a playground should b.

:thumbsup: Anyone here ever play the game "bloody knuckles?" Dodgeball shots to the balls/head, snowballs
to the head, tackle football, stick sword fights were all
a big part of my childhood. Kids today are wayyy too pussified imo.

Mibz
01-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Jesus, bloody knuckles was retarded. Why did we do that?

davidI
01-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Jesus, bloody knuckles was retarded. Why did we do that?

To not be a pussy.

Tik-Tok
01-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Biggest problem I see here in Calgary is can the darlings with their cellphones (remember that thread?) play in such an unstructured environment?

Give it 10 years, and even having no rules in a playground, they'll all be sitting down, staring at their phones.

Seth1968
01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
It's surprising that we're surprised when kids are allowed freedom.

Also, are all those stupid rules created by the school system not wanting to be sued, or soccer moms bitching because Johnny got a scrape?

CapnCrunch
01-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

For sure. I'd bet they'd change their tune if everyone was armed with assault rifles and the was no free health care.

nzwasp
01-29-2014, 10:58 AM
I used to live in NZ and grew up in the 80s and I didnt know that school playgrounds had become prisons at lunch time. It was exactly like that description when I went to school. I remember in the 90s they removed most of the cool playground equipment and put in the stuff you have here in canada. Although I didnt know that there were rules introduced too.

Go4Long
01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

Has anybody ever watched that Tim Allen show "Last Man Standing"? One of the episodes basically revolves around this topic. That show is srsly golden, and actually makes up for all of his terrible Christmas movies

I love that show...so many interesting takes on social issues.

Seth1968
01-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Great thread title Rev:thumbsup:

revelations
01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
^
Whats funny is that in the video clip they show kids jumping with their scoots. One kid takes a spill - WITHOUT A HELMET ....ZOMG - and just gets right back up.

Kids WILL and NEED to have accidents in order to figure things out. Thats just the way it works unfortunately. I had a classmate in grade 2 run in front of cars and got hit, and broke his leg. Tough, but I think he learnt his lesson - and was lucky.

revelations
01-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Cant, there is no oil for Halliburton there - nor Heroin for the CIA to sell. :rofl:

(jk)

btimbit
01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Recess in elementary school for us usually meant playing 'soccer'. Which turned immediately every day into full contact rugby. Which resulted almost always with someone getting punched in the face mid game. It was an absolute blast. When you're between the ages of 6-11 that crap doesn't hurt, you're essentially made of rubber and magic at that point.

A childhood without taking my ancient hand-me-down bike off of ridiculous jumps over or even into a series of stupid things, isn't one worth living. Piss off over protective parents and schools.

403Gemini
01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I will not raise my kids to be pussies, and I don't want them to get in trouble for being normal kids.

I cant wait to tell my kids "... and if your teacher or principal says otherwise, have them call me"

GTS4tw
01-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I cant wait to tell my kids "... and if your teacher or principal says otherwise, have them call me"

You guys live in a dream world. Your only option to do that is home school.

rage2
01-29-2014, 03:46 PM
haha no doubt. Schools will suspend kids for breaking their rules.

btimbit
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Most rules get changed if enough parents make a fuss about it, do they not?

403Gemini
01-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Nope. My sister and a few friends are teachers - schools have no backbone against a pissed off parent. If you're too scared to push back, prepare to get walked over with these bullshit rules.

Originally posted by rage2

haha no doubt. Schools will suspend kids for breaking their rules.

Most schools won't suspend without parental consent or unless bodily injury is involved.

btimbit
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
My school would insist on calling the parents for every rule that got broken. My dad would get very irritated by this since it meant getting bothered at work. Not mad at me for breaking the rules, mad at the school for both having such a stupid rule and for bothering him about it. Eventually they stopped enforcing some of the stupider ones.

HiTempguy1
01-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by speedog

First thing I thought as well :rofl:

revelations
01-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Most rules get changed if enough parents make a fuss about it, do they not?

What if most of the parents are puss-cakes?

rob the knob
01-29-2014, 07:35 PM
many parents of school kids today were kids in the nineteen 80s.

parents born in 70s and early 80s are in the 30 to 40 age. they are the one with school kids and make these crazy rules, then they complain that times are different today than in nineteen 80s. make no sense.

btimbit
01-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by revelations

What if most of the parents are puss-cakes?

Then we wind up with BS like 'tag' being banned for encouraging victimization :nut: :nut: