PDA

View Full Version : Mexico with 3 year old advice please

JC522
01-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Hey guys, has anyone ever taken their young family to Mexico? If so, what all inclusive resorts would you recommend. The only thing I really care for is a reputable cigar shop in town that I can buy some cigars and lounge around all day, the gf really wants to swim with manatees or dolphins though. I wouldn't mind doing some family excursions like checking out the cenotes and stuff like that.We were thinking Playa Del Carmen but are open to suggestions. The last time I was in Mexico I was probably 5 so I'm not really sure what's good there. We're looking for a resort where the youngin won't get bored and has some stuff for children to do, a more family oriented resort.

Also another question is the only time I can go is after June 26, I understand this is the beginning of rainy season. How bad does it get around that time? My friends are telling me to book asap but I read an article saying to wait till within 60 days of when I wanted to depart to book to get a better deal. Does anyone have any insight into this? I checked beginning of January and it was around $3100 for a 4 star but now it's jumped to just shy of $4000. Is this about average?

Thanks in advance for the help.

edit* forgot to mention, restaurant selection on the resort is one of the higher priorities for myself. Don't want to be eating the same thing every day, unless it's tacos but I don;t know how well the rest of the family will take that

ZMan2k2
01-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Funny you should post this, I'm in Mexico right now.:D

Anyways, find a resort with a kids' club. The staff there are really good at keeping little ones occupied while Mom and Dad relax on the beach. If there's a problem, the good resorts hand out pagers to get a hold of you. If you're looking for a good resort in town, has a great buffet with a new theme every night, has two themed restaurants, Italian and Mexican, a great kids club, and isn't huge, try Grand Coco Bay. It's in Playa del Carmen, on the north end of 5th Ave., which is the main tourist location in Playa. It's easy walking the few blocks past the condo buildings to get to 5th. There are plenty of cigar shops, seems like that's all I see now that I quit smoking, some where they make them in shop, some that import them from all over.

As for the weather, I've never been in June, so I can't speak to the weather in that regard. Sorry. But I hope I was some help.

ExtraSlow
01-29-2014, 09:46 AM
You've pretty much nailed the main points. Kids Club (and ages allowed) and restaurant selection are key.

I found with kids that you're eating early enough that it's not hard to get into the restaurants. I pretty much ate supper at 5:00 every day.

I had one resort where my room was so close to the beach that the baby monitor worked from the beach chairs. That's a good deal. Also, found out my oldest daughter realyl loves limes. or maybe she liked the residual rum on them. Either way, she ate a shit-ton of them.

InRich
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
how bout leave your kid here in canada and go enjoy your vacation on your own with the wiffy.

I'm sure the grand parents would love to take care of your little bundle of joy for a week, and you'll end up with a better vacation.

A790
01-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by InRich
how bout leave your kid here in canada and go enjoy your vacation on your own with the wiffy.

I'm sure the grand parents would love to take care of your little bundle of joy for a week, and you'll end up with a better vacation.
QFT

blitz
01-29-2014, 11:25 AM
I was just waiting for the "leave your kids at home" comments.

Some people like their kids and have more fun on vacation when they're there.

ExtraSlow
01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
And some grandparents aren't able to care for the kids for that length of time. I have a lot of people who can help with one day of babysitting, but none of them will take the kids for a week.