PDA

View Full Version : Albertans love to spend money

89coupe
01-29-2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Alberta+households+spend+most+Canada/9444086/story.html

CALGARY - Alberta households are the top spenders in Canada on goods and services, according to Statistics Canada.

The federal agency reported Wednesday that households in this province spent an average of $69,870 in 2012 followed by households in British Columbia at $58,808. The Canadian average was $56,279, up 2.0 per cent from 2011.

Alberta led the country as well in 2011 with average spending of $64,453.

Nationally, spending on shelter accounted for the largest share of this total at 28.1 per cent, followed by transportation (19.9 per cent), food (13.8 per cent), and clothing and accessories (6.2 per cent).

In Alberta, spending on shelter was 27.6 per cent followed by transportation (21.0 per cent), food (12.0 per cent) and clothing and accessories (6.6 per cent).

Albertans had the highest average spending on shelter at $19,309 compared with the national average of $15,811.

Households in Alberta reported the highest spending on food at $8,414.

Goods and services spending in Canada (2012) | Infographics
“Like the old adage says, the more you make, the more you spend. And not surprisingly, Albertans are doing just that. Today’s Stats Canada household spending numbers showcase that many Alberta households spend more than the average Canadian household on just about everything from gifts to shelter to taxes,” said Lesley-Anne Scorgie, a financial author in Calgary who has a book coming out this spring called Well-Heeled: The $mart Girl’s Guide to Getting Rich.

“This spending is precipitated largely by the thriving energy industry which fuels much of Alberta’s economy. Not only are there higher wages amongst those working in the energy industry and those working in non-energy organizations that meet the growing needs of Albertans, there are greater demands for goods and services in the province, which has driven up the prices of homes, restaurant meals, and so much more.”

But, higher prices don’t account for the total gap between spending in the rest of Canada versus Alberta, she said.

“Easy access to credit, due largely in part to higher incomes in Alberta, has facilitated significant overspending patterns amongst Albertans. According to an RBC survey released in October 2013, Albertans experienced the greatest jump in personal debt levels between 2012 and 2013 relative to the rest of Canada,” added Scorgie.

“What’s even more alarming is that relative to the median household income, Albertans contribute less to their pension and insurance programs than the average Canadian. It would truly be a huge personal financial win for Albertans if they could leverage the strength of their income earning ability to build their net worth – a combination of debt reduction and growth in assets. This would create greater options for their futures, both in terms of the quality and number of their choices.”

Ben Brunnen, an economic consultant in Calgary, said Albertans boast the highest wages in the country and we are the only province to have posted strong economic growth each year since 2010.

“These factors give Albertans both the purchasing power and the confidence to spend their money on consumer goods,” he said.

“While total retail spending in the province has consistently outpaced population and inflation growth since 2011, as a per cent of income we may be closer to the average for Canada. That said, record interprovincial migration numbers could be a key driver of consumer spending, as people need to purchase goods and services to set up their households when they move here.”

CapnCrunch
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Cliffs:

Everything costs more in Alberta, so Albertans spend more.

supe
01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Cliffs:

You think everything costs more? But yes Albertans make more.

89coupe
01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Cliffs:

Really?

Housing is more in Calgary then Vancouver or Toronto?

How about liquor? More expensive?

Gas?

Food?

GTS4tw
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Really?

Housing is more in Calgary then Vancouver or Toronto?

How about liquor? More expensive?

Gas?

Food?

All of the above are cheaper in Calgary than Van no doubt.

n1zm0
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
All of the above are cheaper in Calgary than Van no doubt.

All of BC for gas and liquor is more $$$ than here. Food too.

suntan
01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Is food expensive in Vancouver? Because it's cheap in Victoria.

GTS4tw
01-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

All of BC for gas and liquor is more $$$ than here. Food too.

misread your post

GTS4tw
01-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Is food expensive in Vancouver? Because it's cheap in Victoria.

Cheaper in Victoria than Van for sure. Food isn't too bad as far as restaurants, but groceries are more.

On another note, cheapest gas I got in B.C. last time I went was on the island, 10 cents a liter cheaper in Tofino than Kelowna!

GTS4tw
01-29-2014, 03:11 PM
NM

n1zm0
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Yup thats what I said.

Our post submit times were identical lol, my bad.

suntan
Groceries are super cheap though in Victoria. I bought peaches there for 1/4 the price here, for instance.

Dumbass17
01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Groceries are super cheap though in Victoria. I bought peaches there for 1/4 the price here, for instance.
I could eat a peach for hours

ExtraSlow
01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
nice pull.

clem24
01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
89coupe's lunch budget is waaaaay more than 12%, offset by lower transportation costs from his G35 Coupe with Tech package.

buh_buh
01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

I could eat a peach for hours
why would you want to?:zzz:

ZenOps
01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Spend it while you got it.

Natgas is rising on the second polar vortex, much more monies coming soon.

Moar! money.

codetrap
01-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Albertans like to spend money....

In other equally surprising yet relevant news, turning on a light switch turns on the lights.

The_Rural_Juror
01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by clem24
89coupe's lunch budget is waaaaay more than 12%, offset by lower transportation costs from his G35 Coupe with Tech package.

Nav and Tech package.

Alberta is a good province to be in.

davidI
01-29-2014, 11:09 PM
I can't speak to the cost of living in Toronto and Vancouver much, but through all of my travels I've found Calgary to be one of the most expensive cities in the world for food, drinks, parking, transportation, clothes, entertainment, etc.

I spent a month in Manhattan and went to nice bars and restaurants almost every night. When I commented how cheap it was compared to Calgary, my friend living there laughed and said I was the first person who has ever said that after visiting (she's a well-paid lawyer on Wall Street originally from Montreal). Obviously, real estate in Manhattan is the exception, but I found going out to cost half of what it would in Calgary (for similar quality).

Same thing in London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, etc. Rent / Real estate is a b*tch, but everything else is much more affordable.

CapnCrunch
01-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I can't speak to the cost of living in Toronto and Vancouver much, but through all of my travels I've found Calgary to be one of the most expensive cities in the world for food, drinks, parking, transportation, clothes, entertainment, etc.

I spent a month in Manhattan and went to nice bars and restaurants almost every night. When I commented how cheap it was compared to Calgary, my friend living there laughed and said I was the first person who has ever said that after visiting (she's a well-paid lawyer on Wall Street originally from Montreal). Obviously, real estate in Manhattan is the exception, but I found going out to cost half of what it would in Calgary (for similar quality).

Same thing in London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, etc. Rent / Real estate is a b*tch, but everything else is much more affordable.

Judging by the responses, most people in this thread haven't ever been out of Alberta.

DeleriousZ
01-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Albertans like to spend money....

In other equally surprising yet relevant news, turning on a light switch turns on the lights.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This