PDA

View Full Version : lol... whistleblower Snowden nominated for Nobel peace prize...

Toma
01-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Hahahahaa.... for ratting out Obama, a previous winner?

That's some funny shit.

Tik-Tok
01-29-2014, 08:49 PM
"Award to be given on US soil"....

Sugarphreak
01-29-2014, 08:55 PM

CanmoreOrLess
01-29-2014, 09:19 PM
I call BS on this report, the award is given in Norway/Sweden, always has been as far as I can recall. Who does not know this?

http://www.nobelprize.org/ceremonies/

Toma
01-29-2014, 09:20 PM
In all fairness, Obama talked a good game. And after the war criminal, Bush, the world wanted to believe....

Tik-Tok
01-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I call BS on this report, the award is given in Norway/Sweden, always has been as far as I can recall. Who does not know this?

http://www.nobelprize.org/ceremonies/

Whoooosh

Sugarphreak
01-29-2014, 09:25 PM

01RedDX
01-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Toma
01-29-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
True enough, Obama was a big step up for the US compared to Bush

The Peace prize these days seems more about trying to make headlines to stay relevant then actually finding people who deserve it.

That said, I can't think of a single person I'd nominate for a peace prize...

Im not sure. I can see Obama's as being designed to try and 'obligate' him to follow through with the rhetoric. It didn't work in his case, but similar techniques are quite effective as 'motivation'.

Toma
01-29-2014, 09:47 PM
http://world.time.com/2014/01/29/snowden-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize/

Feruk
01-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Awesome. I hope he wins it. Certainly can't think of anyone more deserving.

GTS4tw
01-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Awesome. I hope he wins it. Certainly can't think of anyone more deserving.

Can you explain this, what exactly was it he did that made the world a more peaceful place?

spikerS
01-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Can you explain this, what exactly was it he did that made the world a more peaceful place?

Exactly.

If anything, he made tensions between the world's nations much more stressful with the release of the documents, and then the ensuing "asylum pleas".

ganesh
01-30-2014, 10:12 AM
The bottom line is he is traitor.
Also I don't understnd that how people want to be safe but they don't want to give up any of their luxuries. I dont get it.

GTS4tw
01-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ganesh
Also I don't understnd that how people want to be safe but they don't want to give up any of their luxuries. I dont get it.

You are thinking about it too logically. The same people who complain about this stuff are the ones who update their facebook every day, sign up for rewards cards at grocery stores, and post details of their personal lives on the internet. They are the 99%, and they are retarded.

Modelexis
01-30-2014, 10:36 AM
You are thinking about it too logically. The same people who complain about this stuff are the ones who update their facebook every day, sign up for rewards cards at grocery stores, and post details of their personal lives on the internet. They are the 99%, and they are retarded.

It's one thing to voluntarily give out personal information, it's quite another to have your computer and phone records copied and stored without you knowing.

It's the difference between being a slut and getting raped. One is voluntary and the other is not. The slutty attitude doesn't mean you deserve to get raped.

Hallowed_point
01-30-2014, 10:38 AM

x1000

Thomas Gabriel
01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

It's the difference between being a slut and getting raped. One is voluntary and the other is not. The slutty attitude doesn't mean you deserve to get raped.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m182a75ggl1r5lnzyo1_500.jpg

Toma
01-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Lol. You guys are cute. The republican right wing is waiting for you.

America would be a much safer place if not for its own medling and actions lol.

GTS4tw
01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Lol. You guys are cute. The republican right wing is waiting for you.

America would be a much safer place if not for its own medling and actions lol.

So explain how these actions have, or could have, led to the world being a safer place? And how the ends of breaking a military security clearance justify going about this the way that ES did.

You can't.

Toma
01-30-2014, 12:34 PM

So explain how these actions have, or could have, led to the world being a safer place? And how the ends of breaking a military security clearance justify going about this the way that ES did.

You can't.

Criminals violating the constitution and RIGHTS exposed. Its the first step.

If it helps keep America out of anyone's business, curbs future. Aggressive foreign policy, influences UN resolutions that America asks for etc..

Millions of lives could be saved by reducing support for America's foreign actions.

Hallowed_point
01-30-2014, 12:37 PM

If it helps keep America out of anyone's business, curbs future. Aggressive foreign policy, influences UN resolutions that America asks for etc..

Millions of lives could be saved by reducing support for America's foreign actions.

I can see where you're coming from on this too..it's a tough call with no easy answer for me personally. Pain today for a brighter future tomorrow..hopefully?? :dunno:

GTS4tw
01-30-2014, 12:44 PM

So they will now increase security, reduce availability of that info to current clearance holders, and continue business as usual. Doesn't sound helpful at all. In the meantime some schmuck with no idea about national security, and who just wants a few minutes of fame, goes to Russia to blab about the tiny miniscule useless bit of info he stole. What a hero.

This doesn't hurt anything as far as foreign policy, as every country does this and many of them do it with the support of the USA. It might "hurt" them in the eyes of some peons with zero power in the real world, but why would they care about that.

I also want to know what level of security you expect from a world super power? Should they publish all their documents online every couple of weeks for you to approve?

Toma
01-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Like I said. Arguing with far right dum dums is futile. You can accept illegal spying. Violating laws, aggressive foreign policy, wars based on lies etc.

GTS4tw
01-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Like I said. Arguing with far right dum dums is futile. You can accept illegal spying. Violating laws, aggressive foreign policy, wars based on lies etc.

Intelligent.

Feruk
01-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Nobel peace prize is not limited to international politics and negotiating treaties that don't last. Look at the 2010 winner Liu Xiaobo who won for "his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China." A system where the government is allowed to spy on everyone (taking away their right to privacy) inevitably leads to something far worse. Example: East Germany where wire tapping and spying on citizens led to untold human rights violations, murders, ect. This is also the reason the Germans are so pissed; they lived through it once already. Zoom in today to the USA where you can now be held indefinitely without charge. These "fundamental freedoms" are dissapearing fast, and Snowden is a guy who appears to oppose this fall from grace. Snowden deserves the Nobel peace prize for letting the public know how bad their government had becomes and trying to do something about it.

One judge has already ruled that the spying was illegal. More will come I'm sure. Based on that, what Snowden did is ONLY illegal because he works in the only field NOT covered under whistleblower policy.

Also, I don't understand people who think they have to give up their fundamental rights to live in a fucking bubble. Canada isn't great because we are the "safest" country in the world, it's great because anyone can say and do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. The idea that there is a "price to pay" for that freedom is nonsense. The only price to pay is to have our politicians not meddle in someone else's business. People will still murder each other and commit acts of violence; 9-11 did not somehow "change the world." It's always been dangerous and people have always died. Doesn't mean we have to monitor everyone.

ganesh
01-30-2014, 02:22 PM

Nobel peace prize is not limited to international politics and negotiating treaties that don't last. Look at the 2010 winner Liu Xiaobo who won for "his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China." A system where the government is allowed to spy on everyone (taking away their right to privacy) inevitably leads to something far worse. Example: East Germany where wire tapping and spying on citizens led to untold human rights violations, murders, ect. This is also the reason the Germans are so pissed; they lived through it once already. Zoom in today to the USA where you can now be held indefinitely without charge. These "fundamental freedoms" are dissapearing fast, and Snowden is a guy who appears to oppose this fall from grace. Snowden deserves the Nobel peace prize for letting the public know how bad their government had becomes and trying to do something about it.

One judge has already ruled that the spying was illegal. More will come I'm sure. Based on that, what Snowden did is ONLY illegal because he works in the only field NOT covered under whistleblower policy.

Also, I don't understand people who think they have to give up their fundamental rights to live in a fucking bubble. Canada isn't great because we are the "safest" country in the world, it's great because anyone can say and do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. The idea that there is a "price to pay" for that freedom is nonsense. The only price to pay is to have our politicians not meddle in someone else's business. People will still murder each other and commit acts of violence; 9-11 did not somehow "change the world." It's always been dangerous and people have always died. Doesn't mean we have to monitor everyone.
I see. He worked for NSA and what was he thinking when he joined? Plant flowers? How did he obtain the documents? He took oath when he took the job. You think he is not a traitor?
I have nothing to hide and guess what the spy agencies have zero interest in me. Am I living in a bubble ? May be but I have more freedom than I want and I have no issue in paying a price for it.

Feruk
01-30-2014, 02:31 PM
I see. He worked for NSA and what was he thinking when he joined? Plant flowers? How did he obtain the documents? He took oath when he took the job. You think he is not a traitor?
I have nothing to hide and guess what the spy agencies have zero interest in me. Am I living in a bubble ? May be but I have more freedom than I want and I have no issue in paying a price for it.
He was thinking he'd be doing something legal perhaps? What the NSA was doing was illegal. On top of that, they were lying to the Senate committee they report to about it. This is why whistleblowing legislation exists; to protect an employee when he rats out a company that is breaking the law.

As for the other part of your post, it's a slippery slope. It's unfortunate you didn't grow up in a communist country. I did and I can tell that you have no idea what you're talking about.

ganesh
01-30-2014, 03:24 PM

He was thinking he'd be doing something legal perhaps? What the NSA was doing was illegal. On top of that, they were lying to the Senate committee they report to about it. This is why whistleblowing legislation exists; to protect an employee when he rats out a company that is breaking the law.

As for the other part of your post, it's a slippery slope. It's unfortunate you didn't grow up in a communist country. I did and I can tell that you have no idea what you're talking about.
You have no idea where I grewup and what I was exposed to. - I don't want his thread to be hijacked about what I was esposed to.

He would be doing some thing legal? I thought you were saying spying is illegal? and if you worked for NSA what were you thinking you were going to do? and why it took him so long to get out of it? He could have walked off the job on the first day isn't it?

HiTempguy1
01-30-2014, 04:11 PM

You have no idea where I grewup and what I was exposed to. - I don't want his thread to be hijacked about what I was esposed to.

He would be doing some thing legal? I thought you were saying spying is illegal? and if you worked for NSA what were you thinking you were going to do? and why it took him so long to get out of it? He could have walked off the job on the first day isn't it?

You are ridiculous :banghead:

WhippWhapp
01-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You are ridiculous :banghead:

I second this.

The world needs people like Snowden to keep things in check- the pendulum has swung too far one way.

The invasion and occupation of Iraq, the never ending "war on terror" to strip people of civil liberties. The elite military industrial complex getting richer by sending poor, uneducated citizens to get maimed and die in some far off land. Depleted uranium munitions causing indiscriminate contamination of the battlefield for generations to come- plus poisoning their own troops!

War is very profitable for some. With it being so profitable, when think tanks and lobbyists shaping foreign policy in America... you don't need a crystal ball to see what the future holds.

Ganesh- you need to give your head a shake

01RedDX
01-30-2014, 04:59 PM

GTS4tw
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

I second this.

The world needs people like Snowden to keep things in check- the pendulum has swung too far one way.

The invasion and occupation of Iraq, the never ending "war on terror" to strip people of civil liberties. The elite military industrial complex getting richer by sending poor, uneducated citizens to get maimed and die in some far off land. Depleted uranium munitions causing indiscriminate contamination of the battlefield for generations to come- plus poisoning their own troops!

War is very profitable for some. With it being so profitable, when think tanks and lobbyists shaping foreign policy in America... you don't need a crystal ball to see what the future holds.

Ganesh- you need to give your head a shake

So clearly Snowden's actions led to major changes within the structure of the USA, and the overall system is much more transparent. They will no longer conduct any illegal operations and furthermore now tell people exactly what measures they are taking to conduct surveillance. This has also led to their withdrawal from occupied foreign lands and they are now a force for peace within the world.

Or, Justin Bieber. I can never remember which.

Feruk
01-31-2014, 11:27 AM

I know you didn't grow up in a Communist block country as nobody who did would make the statements you made. That's all I'm saying.

The job of the NSA is to gather FOREIGN data for intelligence and counter-intelligence purposes. Until recently, to bug someone within the USA, you needed a court order signed by a judge. They don't have the authority to blanket record every person's conversations. Spying on foreign nations is not illegal and done all the time. Spying on your own citizens without cause (determined by a judge, not someone at the NSA) is illegal. Why do you think the director of the NSA lied in front of Congress (his bosses) about what they were doing? Because the program is illegal and outside the NSA's mandate.

Feruk
01-31-2014, 11:29 AM
So clearly Snowden's actions led to major changes within the structure of the USA, and the overall system is much more transparent. They will no longer conduct any illegal operations and furthermore now tell people exactly what measures they are taking to conduct surveillance.
Hopefully it's a first step. Don't confuse today with the norm. If this program had been revealed pre-9-11, the NSA director would already be in prison for it.

GTS4tw
01-31-2014, 12:23 PM

Hopefully it's a first step. Don't confuse today with the norm. If this program had been revealed pre-9-11, the NSA director would already be in prison for it.

It is nice that you can be optimistic, I am far too cynical now.

This is the norm. Look into what it was like during the cold war, very similar. Of course there is 100x more technology involved, and information available to the average person. The fact that this kind of thing has been happening forever, and no one has cared enough to really do something about it, means it will continue. The people who need to do this kind of thing on a daily basis for their job will not stop just because a few civilians get in a huff, they will simply find a way to hide it better and keep up with technology.