PDA

View Full Version : Good Restaurants in Edmonton

Mitsu3000gt
01-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Can anyone please recommend some nice restaurants in Edmonton? I need to have an 'early' Valentines day with the GF next weekend due to her work schedule, and we will be in Edmonton next weekend. I know nothing about restaurants there, so I was hoping someone could recommend some good ones? No preference for food type really, just looking for a good place, roughly on par with something like Mercato, Muse, Alloy, Rouge, Candela, etc. A Tapas place would be great, if there is a good one. TIA

tobypaddock
01-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Vons is a good oyster bar with great deserts, and fairly romantic - I dont think their steak warranted the price they charged but their oyster selection was dynamite. its easy to find just off of Whyte too

dj_rice
01-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Plenty of options in this thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377533/recommend-a-restaurant-edmonton-edition/

BigShow
01-30-2014, 12:46 AM
Ate at Lux Steakhouse last week, would definitely recommend it. Food, service and atmosphere was excellent!

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys. I must have missed that thread, I did search for "Edmonton restaurant"...apparently not very well.

ga16i
01-30-2014, 10:33 AM
If we're talking about Valentine's Day dinner, maybe try the La Ronde on top of Chateau Lacombe. It is a rotating restaurant and can have a great view over looking the river. The hotel itself is a bit older, but the restaurant is still very nice.

GQBalla
01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
golden rice bowl

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2014, 11:03 AM
I went through the other thread, as well as urban spoon. Any standouts from the following?

XIX
Corso 32
Packrat Louie
Tavern 1903
La Ronde
Hardware Grill

Kind of leaning toward XIX based on the recent reviews and that they seem to have a bunch of seafood options. The problems is it's WAY farther away from our hotel than anything else haha. We're staying on Whyte ave, and a walk or short cab would be ideal.

Hardware Grill has the highest rating on Urban Spoon of the above.

BigDL
01-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
golden rice bowl

No just no, many better restaurants than GRB.

lasimmon
01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I went through the other thread, as well as urban spoon. Any standouts from the following?

XIX
Corso 32
Packrat Louie
Tavern 1903
La Ronde
Hardware Grill

Kind of leaning toward XIX based on the recent reviews and that they seem to have a bunch of seafood options. The problems is it's WAY farther away from our hotel than anything else haha. We're staying on Whyte ave, and a walk or short cab would be ideal.

Hardware Grill has the highest rating on Urban Spoon of the above.

Hardware grill was amazing. Their short rib mashed potatoes... :drool:

EM2FTL
01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Hardware or Corso IMO. XIX is Century Group isn't it? Meh.

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Has anyone been to Tzin Wine and Tapas? The GF likes Tapas style and this place has 90% rating on urban spoon. If not my back plan is Hardware or Corso (if I can get in haha). Looks like Tzin might be fully booked unless I want to eat at 4:30 or 9:30pm though.

trieu
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
I've eaten here with my GF and I'd give it a 9/10, really good food and service. We went on NYE though so it was a set menu. One of the best chocolate desserts I've ever had. Tzin is a tiny place though and probably fits ~20 people from what I can remember.

Has anyone been to Tzin Wine and Tapas? The GF likes Tapas style and this place has 90% rating on urban spoon. If not my back plan is Hardware or Corso (if I can get in haha). Looks like Tzin might be fully booked unless I want to eat at 4:30 or 9:30pm though.

Strider
01-31-2014, 11:31 AM

Do you mean Tapas in the traditional sense (spanish snacks)?

If not, Tavern 1903 has lots of choices for small plates. The "KFC", duck confit tacos, and burrata were all amazing.

Mitsu3000gt
01-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Do you mean Tapas in the traditional sense (spanish snacks)?

If not, Tavern 1903 has lots of choices for small plates. The "KFC", duck confit tacos, and burrata were all amazing.

Yeah I mostly just mean Appetizer style haha, not necessarily traditional Spanish Tapas. Like Candela.

I booked Tzin for Friday but it looks like 1903 is 100% booked for next Saturday already. Corso 32 was completely booked until 10:30pm as well. These must be some pretty popular places, I'm not used to having my reservations shot down more than a week in advance haha.

How about sushi places? Quick search suggests Mikado, Kyoto, and Sushi Wasabi.

EDIT: I booked Tzin and Mikado. I'll let you guys know what I think of them. Thanks for all the help!

EM2FTL
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM

Yeah I mostly just mean Appetizer style haha, not necessarily traditional Spanish Tapas. Like Candela.

I booked Tzin for Friday but it looks like 1903 is 100% booked for next Saturday already. Corso 32 was completely booked until 10:30pm as well. These must be some pretty popular places, I'm not used to having my reservations shot down more than a week in advance haha.

How about sushi places? Quick search suggests Mikado, Kyoto, and Sushi Wasabi.

EDIT: I booked Tzin and Mikado. I'll let you guys know what I think of them. Thanks for all the help!

Having once worked with provincial public health inspectors I would strongly advise you to go to Southside Mikado and avoid the DT location at all costs.

Mitsu3000gt
01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Having once worked with provincial public health inspectors I would strongly advise you to go to Southside Mikado and avoid the DT location at all costs.

Haha damn. Any other sushi places near Whyte ave you would suggest? I just picked Mikado because it was close and has a high rating on urban spoon. How long ago was that?

dj_rice
01-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Not much for sushi places but I really liked Japanois Bistro.

My usual go to place is Shogun, thats on Jasper though so too far for you.

Mitsu3000gt
01-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Not much for sushi places but I really liked Japanois Bistro.

My usual go to place is Shogun, thats on Jasper though so too far for you.

Jasper is fine, we can cab it no problem. Japanois Bistro looks good, maybe we'll go there. Reviews are very positive too.

shakalaka
01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
The gf booked Cafe de Ville for Valentines day. I have never been but she says it's very good. I left it up to her to book whatever the hell she wants. lol

bourge73
01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
^^ well that should get you some pu$$y :poosie:

shakalaka
01-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Haha, if that's the only reason to go there maybe I won't bother. Don't need to go to a restaurant to get that. lol

Plus I can't be bothered with picking a place and all that.