PDA

View Full Version : Not Paying a Parking Ticket

swak
01-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Soooooo here's what happened.

Was out of town, parked in a "private" lot - and got a parking ticket as my meter ran out. Ticket issued by a non-governmental agency.

I read the ticket it said pay $50, or after 90 days, creditors will be on your ass (basically - was written a little more formally).

I have since lost the ticket, and at first glance have no real intention of researching the parking authority for this area. I might yet though.

Do that have any authority to pull my info from my plate and have creditors reach me?
Or as long as i don't park there again, am i all good?
(ie. it wasn't a big name at all - ie. not vinci or anything).

Suggestions? or just forget about it?

Mibz
01-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Even Vinci can't get collections after you, so if it's a random place that you've never heard of then I'm betting you'll be fine. But until you remember the name of the place, we won't really know for sure.

BokCh0y
01-30-2014, 12:41 AM
I know with Impark, you don't have to pay. Calgary Park Authority aka CPA, you do.

I'm curious about this as well regarding private lots such as Vinci, etc.. I've seen threads about not paying impark, but haven't or at least don't recall seeing anything for other private lots.

So like OP said, what's the deal?

CapnCrunch
01-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I know with Impark, you don't have to pay. Calgary Park Authority aka CPA, you do.

I'm curious about this as well regarding private lots such as Vinci, etc.. I've seen threads about not paying impark, but haven't or at least don't recall seeing anything for other private lots.

So like OP said, what's the deal?

I've not paid tickets from Impark and Vinci. They can't get any info from your plate.

snowcat
01-30-2014, 07:49 AM
I love beyond. If someone knew the costs of your profession, hired you and didn't pay you, you guys would be posting on here faster than you could say knife.

adidas
01-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
I love beyond. If someone knew the costs of your profession, hired you and didn't pay you, you guys would be posting on here faster than you could say knife.

Who are you to talk?

I watched a few of your videos last night and you clearly didnt pay to park in the "private" lot right next to the U&ME restaurant in chinatown. You decide to go have a look at the flooding on the bow from the center st bridge without even acknowledging that there is a pay machine there.

JRSC00LUDE
01-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by adidas

Who are you to talk?

Are you new to the Internet? He's a big e-talking loudmouth. This has been established many times. :dunno:

mr2mike
01-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Park in the offending person's lot again and I bet they tow your car if you've got a few unpaid tickets.

sidewaysD
01-30-2014, 08:53 AM

ooooooooooooh look who it is.....

Calgarys Hero....

:banghead:

bjstare
01-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Park in the offending person's lot again and I bet they tow your car if you've got a few unpaid tickets. :werd:

You don't have to pay them, as long as you never want to use the lot again. Not paying seems like a pretty short-sighted move, but maybe that's just me.

Some of you people are hilarious. scat makes a great point, but because he's proven he's kind of an idiot IRL, everyone disregards what he has to say :rofl:

Mibz
01-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Three times I've gotten tickets from Vinci for parking too long in a 2 or 3 hour zone. One of them was legit, so I paid it. The other two were bogus. I phoned them, they said there was nothing they could do about it, I had to pay.

So fuck them.

snowcat
01-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by adidas

Who are you to talk? .

The bike has a monthly impark parking sticker, thanks for your concern though - and just so you know, power was out for that part of the city and the machine wasn't working anyway. :rolleyes:

sr20s14zenki
01-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Are you new to the Internet? He's a big e-talking loudmouth. This has been established many times. :dunno:

:D :D :D :D

Still cant wait for somebody to drag him off his bike and just beat the ever loving shit out of him.

Moonracer
01-30-2014, 09:41 AM
yeah they can't do shit, don't even worry about it swak

snowcat
01-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Still cant wait for somebody to drag him off his bike and just beat the ever loving shit out of him.

You quoting JRS and saying what you said is ironic, don't you think? :rolleyes:

CapnCrunch
01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
:werd:

You don't have to pay them, as long as you never want to use the lot again. Not paying seems like a pretty short-sighted move, but maybe that's just me.

Some of you people are hilarious. scat makes a great point, but because he's proven he's kind of an idiot IRL, everyone disregards what he has to say :rofl:

I've been written tickets after paying. Then Impark/Vinci say there's nothing they can do about the ticket.

Would you still pay the ticket?

You guys talk like getting a ticket is indisputable evidence of guilt. These companies hire lazy morons to monitor the lots and write tickets, and then tell you to fuck off when you have proof that you paid.

G-ZUS
01-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

+1

Feruk
01-30-2014, 09:55 AM
If you plan to park in the same lot over and over again, there might be a point to paying to avoid getting towed. I personally rarely pay at private lots and never pay the tickets. Just determine what the changes are of you parking there again many times, and that should dictate.

sr20s14zenki
01-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Don't worry buddy, i'm not going to bother with you any more. You'll get yours, you'll see :poosie:

sidewaysD
01-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Karma, it sucks and it will get you eventually.

Maybe you can even catch some footage of it and show your vigilante facebook group.

boarderfatty
01-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Park in the offending person's lot again and I bet they tow your car if you've got a few unpaid tickets.

I doubt it, unless Calgary is a lot different than Edmonton. Between my 3 license plates I owe Impark almost $6,000 now and I have never been towed, my credit rating is also fine. I think the biggest factors are that legally they can tow your car off the lot, but they can seize it themselves, or hold it until you pay your fines etc. The other thing is I park in spots that make towing difficult, park in a parkade vs open lot, park in awkward spots etc.

BokCh0y
Originally posted by cjblair
:werd:

I pay to park all the time regardless where it is, I don't want the hassle of being towed. But sometimes I've come out and got a ticket for being parked too long, yes my fault, I understand this. I'm just simply inquiring on whether the tickets at lots besides Impark need to be paid. Doesn't mean I will and doesn't mean I won't pay the parking fines. I'm just curious.

Hallowed_point
I've had Impark try and tow my car at work once from the underground parkade..and I had my Impark pass clearly displayed. Those guys are incompetent morons at best. :poosie:

M.alex
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
You guys who park w/o paying are a bunch of cocksuckers and i hope your balls rot and fall off :whipped:

revelations
01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
lol, back in Vancouver, it was cheaper to change my plates every month than it was to pay impark fines....

sexualbanana
01-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I've not paid tickets from Impark and Vinci. They can't get any info from your plate.

I just got a letter from Impark for my ticket from like a month ago. so they're able to pull info from your plate, somehow.

But I also heard that they can only legally collect the amount that you didn't pay and not any more. So if they try to fine you $75 for parking in a lot that would've only cost $20, you can ship them that $20 and get them off your back.

bjstare
01-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I've been written tickets after paying. Then Impark/Vinci say there's nothing they can do about the ticket.

Would you still pay the ticket?

You guys talk like getting a ticket is indisputable evidence of guilt. These companies hire lazy morons to monitor the lots and write tickets, and then tell you to fuck off when you have proof that you paid.

What you're saying makes sense. My experience has been good so far. Only one illegitimate ticket, and they got rid of it after a 1 min phone convo with me.

I'd do my best to not pay the ticket if I was in the situation you described. If it really came down to it though, I'd pay it because the only public parking I use, I use repeatedly so I wouldn't want to risk a tow. Forking over $40 is peanuts in comparison to fixing the potential damage they do to my slammed car.

Canmorite
01-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Got an Impark ticket last weekend for a time-limit lot, no way to pay. Was over by barely 2 minutes :thumbsdow

kvg
01-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I just got a letter from Impark for my ticket from like a month ago. so they're able to pull info from your plate, somehow.

But I also heard that they can only legally collect the amount that you didn't pay and not any more. So if they try to fine you $75 for parking in a lot that would've only cost $20, you can ship them that $20 and get them off your back.

How are they getting your info?

sexualbanana
01-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by kvg

How are they getting your info?

Not a clue

kvg
01-30-2014, 12:47 PM
I would call and inquire if I were you.

sidewaysD
01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Yes they can "legally" collect from you.

But collect anything under $100 will end them in wasted resources, labour, and money. Especially if it gets sent to a collections agency.

Like i mean if more than 20 people didnt pay the ticket... .sending letters is all they can really do to not break the bank.

Imagine if they send a collections agency for all those who didnt pay there tickets under $100... :rofl:

This is why.. if CPA gives you a ticket they don't really worry about collections...
you dont pay.. see you in court and well no worries as they will get you when you re-new your registration.

ALSO...
Please note this (From Impark)

What Right do You Have to Fine Me?
Please note that our payment notices are not "tickets" and we do not impose "fines". Only a body authorized by statute (such as a municipality) may issue "tickets" or impose "fines."

So what this means? It's The debt owing to Imperial Parking under the law of contract.

So.. yes you don't have to pay and get a serious consequence as CPA. But in general a business can go after you via third party collections.

dannie
01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
They had their clearance taken away years ago, it was re-established. I assume they still have the agreement in place.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/impark-agrees-to-strict-new-conditions-in-alberta-access-agreement-551523.htm

sidewaysD
01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by kvg
I would call and inquire if I were you.

How Did You Get my Name and Address and What do you do With This Information?
Pay parking operators adhering to appropriate confidentiality standards are entitled to paid access to provincial vehicle ownership records. Our access agreement permits us, based on licence plates, to obtain basic information on vehicle owners, including:

¡Name
¡Address
This arrangement is permitted by the applicable freedom of information and personal privacy laws in your province of residence. The personal information obtained is:

¡Strictly controlled
¡Accessible only by certain trained and approved employees of Impark
The information may only be used for the specific purposes of:

¡Following up on outstanding payment notices
¡Initiating a lawsuit (if necessary)

dirtsniffer
01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
AFAIK you are only liable to incure the cost to park there. They cannot legally force you to pay more. So all the 'debts' are bullshit.

swak
01-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Well my point was more so based on their ability to have creditors try and ruin me over a small parking ticket... I'll play this one by ear then... Going to see how large this company is, and probably pay the ticket, as I go to this area in Edmonton more often than not.

blairtruck
01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
what about UPS. i had a stupid $42 brokerage fee at the door. gave the guy my credit card. numbers must not be his first language as i got a bill from UPS months later and the CC was never charged.
i didnt pay the bill and now got a letter from some NLS collection company for the $42. Do i pay it now? or are there no rerpcussions.
ups has not stopped delivery packages to me. but they are all within canada so no fees.

sidewaysD
01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck
what about UPS. i had a stupid $42 brokerage fee at the door. gave the guy my credit card. numbers must not be his first language as i got a bill from UPS months later and the CC was never charged.
i didnt pay the bill and now got a letter from some NLS collection company for the $42. Do i pay it now? or are there no rerpcussions.
ups has not stopped delivery packages to me. but they are all within canada so no fees.

The debt has most likely been written off by UPS and now is in the hands of a third party collector.

You can still choose to not pay it. It is not illegal to have debt.

Your two options:

1) If you don't care about your credit history (this will effect you marginally as the amount is small).,. Than you don’t have to pay it. They most likely will not a file a lawsuit and take you to civil court for $42 as it is a waste of time/money/ and resources to collect a small debt. Not paying will also effect you if someone is sending you a package from UPS.

2) Pay it, and it wont effect your credit at all or marginally. (It will appear as overdue payment history of 120+ days depending on the duration, or a debt that has been solved)

Check your credit score and see if UPS and the collection agency filed a claim against you. (Equifax)

Thomas Gabriel
01-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck

I've owed Fedex $40 for a couple years. Nothing came of it. I recently got a bill for $120 from UPS for something delivered last Feb. I would not have accepted the shipment if I knew so I'm not paying it. Will be interesting to see what they do about this one.

sexualbanana
01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sidewaysD

The debt has most likely been written off by UPS and now is in the hands of a third party collector.

You can still choose to not pay it. It is not illegal to have debt.

Your two options:

1) If you don't care about your credit history (this will effect you marginally as the amount is small).,. Than you don’t have to pay it. They most likely will not a file a lawsuit and take you to civil court for $42 as it is a waste of time/money/ and resources to collect a small debt. Not paying will also effect you if someone is sending you a package from UPS.

2) Pay it, and it wont effect your credit at all or marginally. (It will appear as overdue payment history of 120+ days depending on the duration, or a debt that has been solved)

Check your credit score and see if UPS and the collection agency filed a claim against you. (Equifax)

Don't they need your SIN in order to have access to/or effect on your credit/credit score?

FraserB
01-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Fedex and UPS don't impact your credit.

bignerd
01-31-2014, 12:08 AM

Don't they need your SIN in order to have access to/or effect on your credit/credit score?

No.
They can pull you credit with as little as a last name an first initial. Hence how mistakes are made on credit bureaus.

Obviously the info they have on you the more narrow of a search result they get. If they only have your name and address then that is all they are using to pull your credit and are hoping they get a match on those two points.

Use to work at a bank and pull credit. There were other things that would match so you know you had the right person-prev employers and prev addresses, plus a full application of personal information and stuff but Impark and the collection agencies would not have access to this info.

sidewaysD
01-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Fedex and UPS don't impact your credit.

Oh yes they can.....You will see it in the colum (credit report) of how quick the customer pays. Over 120+ days, and amount in due, or if it is in collections.

If it's in collections or a third party agency, or a company that has written off a debt...will also reflect on your credit report.

When a company you want to establish credit for runs your report... they will 100% look at the timleyness you pay your bills, debts, and obligations in the detailed credit report. Especially if it's for a big credit application like an auto-loan.

know1edge
05-17-2014, 01:45 PM

So I thought they couldn't pull my info but I just got a letter as well.
If they can only collect the ticket amount I don't mind sending the $5 or whatever. I just want to verify that whether or not I do pay them that amount, it won't affect my credit.

codetrap
05-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I've never payed them. Apparently after 6 months they drop the file due to volume. I read that in a court case transcript.

Also, none of my prior issues with them on the order of $1300 in fines was an issue this year when I signed up for parking with my bike.