PDA

View Full Version : My boy's linemate...Mikael Backlund

C_Dave45
01-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Growing up developmentally handicapped, my boy didn't get the same opportunities most of us got. So I missed out on watching him enjoy sports, parties, school teams, etc.
Calgary Special Olympics gives many who are like this a chance to enjoy some of the stuff we all take for granted. My youngest boy scored his first goal, and to him..this is just like being in the pros. His first goal, assisted by Mikael Backlund:

(#17 blue @ 1:00 mark)
http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=533069&catid=11&startTime=60

This weekend we're off to Edmonton for a tournament. Complete with a team bus, TV's, hotel stay and party, and curfew!! LOL. He feels like a Junior A player! May not seem like much to some of you, but to him, this is being on top of the world.

VWEvo
01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing that story with us. I'm glad your little guy gets 'A' treatment this weekend. Enjoy every minute of it.

jwslam
01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
:clap: :thumbsup:

:goflames:

TL911
01-31-2014, 09:47 AM
:clap: happy for him!

spikerS
01-31-2014, 10:11 AM
Dave, knowing you and your son, he deserves every second of it. Come to think of it, every time I have met your son, he was either playing hockey in a video game, or talking up a storm about it. So yeah, I bet he is over the top right now.

Enjoy it!

:clap: :goflames: :clap:

C_Dave45
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by spikers
Dave, knowing you and your son, he deserves every second of it. Come to think of it, every time I have met your son, he was either playing hockey in a video game, or talking up a storm about it. So yeah, I bet he is over the top right now.

Enjoy it!

:clap: :goflames: :clap:
Thanks Chris. Yeah, hockey is his life. He watches probably 2 NHL games a night. Plus season ticket holder to the Junior A team. It's so funny, he'll see a college player on TSN, and say "Oh look, there's so-and-so...he got drafted by xyz team, but for now he's playing down in such-and-such a league". He watches all the pre and post game shows and remembers every little detail.
Tells me non-challantly, "I like Chara....btw, he's Boston's 19th captain..." like everyone would know that detail. LOL.
He'll tell me the dirt on what junior players got traded and why, as he talks with many of the guys from the Calgary Canucks off the ice.
This is a kid, who up until a few years ago, couldn't quite grasp the concept of league play at all. No interest in the game. No idea what playoffs were, what wins and losses meant, points etc.
And watching these "special Olympics" players play....you've never seen so many happy faces. After all...that's what it's all about...seeing your kid being happy.

btimbit
01-31-2014, 10:31 AM
That's fantastic! Sounds well deserved too. Happy for him.

btimbit
01-31-2014, 10:31 AM
That's fantastic! Sounds well deserved too. Happy for him.

jjmac
01-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Such an awesome story!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

civic_stylez
01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Sports are a great way to bring people together. I especially like players who truly play a sport for the love of the game, not for the money. Thats awesome to hear and I hop your son has a blast!:thumbsup:

ZEDGE
01-31-2014, 10:45 AM
That is awesome! :thumbsup:

Gary@UrbanX
01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
That's awesome Dave!

DENZILDON
01-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Great to hear that Dave! So happy for your boy!!! :thumbsup: :clap:

rage2
01-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Great stuff! :thumbsup:

BigDL
01-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Awesome stuff, good to see those kids so happy.

faiz999
01-31-2014, 11:58 AM
fantastic story. happy for your kid!

JRSC00LUDE
02-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Dave, as a member of The Canadian Progress Club, reading things like this brings a big smile to my face. As you may or may not know, the Special Olympics is our main focus nationally as well as our chapter's local focus here in Saskatoon. It's something we take very seriously and hearing stories like yours, wherever they come from, is exactly why we do the things we do.

This is what it's all about, thanks very much for sharing your story and I humbly tip my hat to you and your son.

:thumbsup: