PDA

View Full Version : The Passion Of The Christ

Pages : [1] 2

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 01:25 AM
I'm going to go ahead and give this movie a "must see" status.

This isn't from one Christian to another, or a Christian to a non-Christian, but from one human to another I'm saying this movie will shake you up.

During the entire movie the theatre was dead silent, many people were crying, about 3 or 4 got up and left.

It's the brutal truth of what Jesus had to go through so that idiots like us can do drugs, lie, cheat, steal, and be sexually immoral, but still have a chance to see heaven in eternity.

It's the biggest kick in the junk I've ever gotten. I was fine during the movie but once it ended and we walked back into the real world seeing all the crap that goes on I lost it and broke into tears.

I've never been in a movie before where 10 minutes after the movie ended people are just beginning to leave. When it ended I couldn't even move, it hit me really hard.

I went with 6 of my friends. 4 of us are Christians, 2 non-Christians, and 1 Sikh. 5 of us were crying on the way home. We said nothing to each other, we got in our cars, and while driving my friends home it was completely silent, there really was nothing to say.

Go ahead and see it, it puts absolutely everything in perspective in life, everybody can learn something from it.

girlRACER
02-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Our religious studies club is going to see it on Wednesday and then they're having a discussion about it afterwards. hehe...I'll post some reactions afterwards. Now I want to see it even more!

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Our religious studies club is going to see it on Wednesday and then they're having a discussion about it afterwards. hehe...I'll post some reactions afterwards. Now I want to see it even more!

As for that discussion afterwards I don't think that is a good idea. Believe me you aren't going to want to talk to anybody for a while. In my opinion I think it would be better if you just went home and thought about everything and talked maybe the next day.

See how you feel afterwards, it will definetely shake you up!

Fluidic
02-28-2004, 01:54 AM
I'm not a religous person... will I still be "shaken" up afterwards? I'm wondering.

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
I'm not a religous person... will I still be "shaken" up afterwards? I'm wondering.

Out of the non-Christian people I went with:

My Sikh friend and I were the ones crying our faces off.

One of my non-Christian friends didn't say a word the whole half hour drive home, he just stared out the window.

Another non-Christian I went with said "That was the greatest movie I have ever seen,"... "It really put's everything in life into perspective." When we left each other in the parking lot he just shook my hand and walked off.

Peter, this is something you really need to see. It doesn't matter to me if you ever wanted to be a Christian in your life, the fact is that you need to experience something so much different than anything you've seen in your life before.

I guarantee you that when you get out of your seat in the theatre you will be a changed man. For $13.75 there is nothing I'd recommend more in the world.

VWhooligan
02-28-2004, 02:10 AM
I'll totally agree with above statement.

holy moly, definately the most gory film I have ever seen, and I have seen alot of gory movies in my day. a caning would seem like a holiday compared to the beating he got from the cat-0-nine tails! i can't believe how much they showed the whips ripping his flesh off and also when he got it in the eye!

I havent read the bible since I was a kid, but from what i can remember, it seems to follow the storyline really well! only place they deviate is having the devil play more of an impact/role in the movie than I thought he did in the bible, sure he was always around trying to tempt him but the movie made it seem like he had a larger significance.

the whole movie is in aramic/latin/hebrew, with english subtitles if you didnt already know, and i wasn't looking forward to this goin in, but I think they executed it superbly because there wasn't much dialogue at all other than crowds cursing him.

on a final note, I wish this was a 2 or 3 part movie each part being 2 hours long, so they could show some other interesting parts of the bible like moses at mt.sinai and rescuing the jews.

simons review: if you're looking for a movie you can say "hey that was fucking awesome! I wanna see that again!" this movie isn't for you. the movie is, however, very very good and accurate. i thought the acting was pretty damn spiffy!

edit: i went with a bible-clueless friend and had to explain how the jews were rescued from slavery leading up to this point and it really put things into perspective! i explained the basic story on the way home but after that we were just silent.

VWhooligan
02-28-2004, 02:13 AM
oh, and not aware if you guys know this or not, but some old nun died while watching this movie last week. she had a heart attack right there in the theatre and pegged over.

itsnotaDUB
02-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by VWhooligan
oh, and not aware if you guys know this or not, but some old nun died while watching this movie last week. she had a heart attack right there in the theatre and pegged over.

omg, here in calgary?.. thats horrable.. im really looking forward to this movie.. everything ive heard is that it is very exact... cant wait to see it...

Gondi Stylez
02-28-2004, 03:13 AM
damn... sounds reallyr eally good! i was gonna see it 2day but it was all sold out! so maybe next week!! im pretty religious myself but of a muslim faith so lets see what this movie put into perspective for me?! but i have a feeling that it doesnt matetr what walk of life you come frme, a movie of this sort affects everyone who goes in with an "open mind"?!!

also is the WHOLE movie subtitles? or is it just bits and pieces?! just wondering?!

redec
02-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB

omg, here in calgary?

nah...it was in ohio or some shit....however when I heard about it it was just some old lady....not a nun.

C4S
02-28-2004, 11:43 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice ! I probaby go to see it on Tuesday .. with christian and non-christian friends ! :)

nosegrindR
02-28-2004, 11:54 AM
yeah i can't wait to see it.
should be nuts, i heard lots of stories similar to yours after seeing the movie hockeybronx

VWhooligan
02-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
also is the WHOLE movie subtitles? or is it just bits and pieces?! just wondering?!

the whole movie is in subtitles.

but it works out awesome, because there is barely any dialogue at all. jesus isn't a very talkative guy as he gets beat for 2 hours straight.

Ajay
02-28-2004, 12:46 PM
I didn't know it was subtitles. Either way I'de like to see this movie even though I'm not Christian but I think I'll wait for the theaters to die down a bit before I head out to watch it.

Heard amazing things about the movie from both Christians and non-Christians so I have no doubts it'll be one of those movies that just makes you say "WOW"

sandman
02-28-2004, 01:22 PM
saw it, didnt really shake me up, jus surprising how ppl can put themselves thru so much coz of blind faith in god
*flame suit on :devil: *

Shaolin
02-28-2004, 01:25 PM
i'm going to paramount in an hour.. i'm not religious or anything but it should be interesting to see what the fuss is all about.

RiCE-DaDDy
02-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by sandman
saw it, didnt really shake me up, jus surprising how ppl can put themselves thru so much coz of blind faith in god

that can be said for anybody, except jesus wasn't anybody, he was the Son of God and it was his destiny

three.eighteen.
02-28-2004, 05:26 PM
saw...one word: INTENSE...you have to go see it but probably wont want to see it ever again...wow...

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 05:39 PM

It's only blind if you don't believe in it. I didn't believe in it for 17 years of my life, but all of a sudden everything started changing in my life and it could have only been one thing, Gods presence.

I guarantee you if you can open your mind and give it a chance you will feel Gods presence in some aspect of your life.

It's all in the believer, because Gods position is absolute.

EK 2.0
02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
A Catholic friend and I went to check it out and we were blown away...I hold a minor in Religious Studies, so I did find it to be a lil inaccurate, but all in all an amazing film...

By my friends standards, he felt a lil of it was overdone, but he was moved, didnt speak a word for about 90 mins after we left the theatre...I was moved, and definetly want to go see it again...

Mel Gibson did a great job interpreting the bible, and the one thing I ask anyone who goes to see it is...

It is an INTERPRETATION....

sandman
02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
even if u dio "beleive" in it, its still blind faith, for anyone's knowledge, religions were jus made as a base that we dont feel we are jus decaying organic matter, there is a life after we die, and for societal good, , we're told if ur good, u go to heaven, and bad, u go to hell, and then organized religions followed with more specific rules to have the world moulded into waht the person who briught this religion to the world had envisioned

Ben
02-28-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm Roman Catholic but only by birth/baptism, I dont really beleve in organized religion and I hate church propaganda.

I'm also very hard to turn emotional over stuff of this nature. I will go see it just to say I have, it will have to be one hell of an influential movie to leave any impact on me. From the sounds of it, its a real humanitarian movie more than religious, which is good, however, I am having trouble understanding how a film can have such an impact on 1000's of people. I guess I'll see for myself.

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 10:32 PM
even if u dio "beleive" in it, its still blind faith, for anyone's knowledge, religions were jus made as a base that we dont feel we are jus decaying organic matter, there is a life after we die, and for societal good, , we're told if ur good, u go to heaven, and bad, u go to hell, and then organized religions followed with more specific rules to have the world moulded into waht the person who briught this religion to the world had envisioned

This is where you are wrong, and this is why so many people hate the church. Somehow people have made others believe that being a Christian means dressing up nice for church on Sundays, being a pretty boy, not swearing, loving everybody, and acting like you are better than everyone else.

These things are all wrong. Being a Christian really means that you give your life to God, and you tell him that you want him to do his will in your life. It's about having a relationship with God and being accountable to Him, and nobody else.

It makes me really angry when I hear people think things like what you said Sandman, and it isn't your fault. Christianity has been so abused over the last 30 years that everybody forgets what it's really about:

It's about CHRIST, not trying to act like you are perfect.

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey Ben I'm glad you are having an open mind and are willing to see it. The humanitarian thing is dead on as well.

I haven't been referring this movie to people as a Christian speaking to other Christians, or as a Christian speaking to non-Christians, but rather I think this movie is a must see as a human on this earth speaking to other humans.

I truly believe anybody can be affected by this movie. I hope you like it Ben, post a reply after you see it and let us know:thumbsup:

Seanith
02-28-2004, 11:19 PM
I'll totally agree with above statement.

on a final note, I wish this was a 2 or 3 part movie each part being 2 hours long, so they could show some other interesting parts of the bible like moses at mt.sinai and rescuing the jews.

Why would they put that in? Its Jesus' life in the last 12 hours. If you want to see that crap watch the 10 commandments :rolleyes:

szw
02-28-2004, 11:31 PM
soo...what happens in the end?

edw
02-28-2004, 11:37 PM
jesus died :dunno:

szw
02-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by edw
jesus died :dunno:
major spoiler!

Ben
02-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by szw

major spoiler!

hahahahahahaha

Sorry, I'm in an off mood today but that made me laugh so hard!

VWhooligan
02-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

Why would they put that in? Its Jesus' life in the last 12 hours. If you want to see that crap watch the 10 commandments :rolleyes:

are you an idiot? i said i had wished the movie was a 2 or 3 part movie, and included OTHER STORIES, not just the last 12 hours. I have seen lots of other movies on the 10 commandments and I find them really interesting, thats why I wished mel gibson had made one of that too since the calibre is much better in a motion picture.

oh, and :rolleyes:

sputnik
02-29-2004, 01:39 AM

the whole movie is in subtitles.

The interesting thing... is that Mel Gibson originally wanted to have no subtitles... because he felt that the movie was strong enough without needing them

Benny
02-29-2004, 02:13 AM
I don't have the money to see it.

Am I like, guaranteed to go to hell if I warez this movie?

Redlyne_mr2
02-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Is it worth going to see if you arent into that crucifiction bible stuff...some dude getting owned for 2 hours with subtitles just doesnt sound interesting

Originally posted by hockeybronx

As for that discussion afterwards I don't think that is a good idea. Believe me you aren't going to want to talk to anybody for a while. In my opinion I think it would be better if you just went home and thought about everything and talked maybe the next day.

See how you feel afterwards, it will definetely shake you up!
Why wouldnt she want to discuss it hehe you obviously havent met girlRACER religion doesnt mean the same to everyone as it does to you:)

VWhooligan
02-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
some dude getting owned for 2 hours with subtitles

that is a pretty accurate depiction of the movie, seriously!

hockeybronx
02-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Is it worth going to see if you arent into that crucifiction bible stuff...some dude getting owned for 2 hours with subtitles just doesnt sound interesting

Why wouldnt she want to discuss it hehe you obviously havent met girlRACER religion doesnt mean the same to everyone as it does to you:)

Man I went with two of my friends how pretty much hate Christianity, they didn't say a single word the whole half hour drive home.

It was just a suggestion she can do whatever the hell she wants to.

hockeybronx
02-29-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by szw
soo...what happens in the end?

Yes Jesus dies on the cross after 2 hours of having the crap kicked out of him.

The other guys missed the most important part:

IF YOU DON'T WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED DON'T READ ON \/

In the end it shows Jesus sitting by the bed he was laid on after he was crucified. All his cuts and scars are gone and his body is clean. He begins to walk and we see holes in his hands. He walks by and the movie ends.

Redlyne_mr2
02-29-2004, 02:57 AM
In the bible is Jesus's body put in bed after being crucified or was that just something the director added? It doesnt really make sense

gpomp
02-29-2004, 02:58 AM
Meh, just another movie... nothing special IMO. I'm not religious if it matters.

three.eighteen.
02-29-2004, 04:08 AM
yeah three days after being placed in the tomb the stone was rolled back and there was no body in the linen...i dunno if he technically got up and walked out of there like in the movie, but im sure it was to illustrate the point that he was resurrected

i really liked the personification of sin...that ugly dude/chick that walked around silently thru the crowd during the movie, and then you understand its being cast away at the end...really smart :thumbsup:

Seanith
02-29-2004, 12:09 PM
That ugly dude/chick was the devil was it not? I haven't seen the movie yet though.

VWhooligan
02-29-2004, 01:20 PM
In the bible is Jesus's body put in bed after being crucified or was that just something the director added? It doesnt really make sense

as far as i remember, he always said he could destroy the temple and rebuild it in 3 days. so when he's crucified he's laid to rest in the cave for 3 days, and when they remove the stone blocking the door they only find his linen and no body.

in the bible doesnt he actually visit his desciples but they dont believe its him?

AquamosH
02-29-2004, 01:55 PM

in the bible doesnt he actually visit his desciples but they dont believe its him?

Yup, he visits the apostles and pretty much tells them to spread his message.

I just saw this movie last night and I thought it was amazing. It really changed my perspective of things.

On a side note, someone fainted in the theatre we were in, so they had to stop the film while we waited for the paramedics to arrive. Hope he's alright though, he took a pretty bad fall.

hockeybronx
02-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Yes they put him on that bed thing and put the bed into a tomb with a giant bolder covering the entrance way so animals couldn't get into there.

Why doesn't it make sense? You've got to throw the body somewhere you know?

hockeybronx
02-29-2004, 03:19 PM
That ugly dude/chick was the devil was it not? I haven't seen the movie yet though.

Yes it was the devil. It really shows how the devil is always presenet lurking on the outsides.

Seanith
02-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Yes the devil is an omnipresent force in all of our lives! :devil:

7thgenvic
02-29-2004, 09:11 PM
:werd:

JAYMEZ
03-01-2004, 12:44 AM
I just saw the movie today , i was very impressed with how it was done , it felt like i was actually seeing Jesus' last hours . My friend didnt like it though , i dont know why he said he dragged on , then i punched him for being a biatch.

But that movie was completly differnt than anymovie i have seen..... I also saw that ugly Acura with " Jesus loves you if you like it or not." on the back of the car.

JAYMEZ
03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
oh ya can we put a Spoiler in the title? I would like to discuss some things in the movie.

VWhooligan
03-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
oh ya can we put a Spoiler in the title? I would like to discuss some things in the movie.
i dont think a spoiler title is necessary, as its sort of a given.

oh, and seeings as everyone knows the story of jesus we can't really spoil it :P

-bUtTeRcUp-
03-01-2004, 02:51 AM
I saw the movie tonight aswell... and all I can really say is, Wow. It was really intense, and I don't think it really matters if you're religious or not, cuz I'm not at all, and I was crying 30 min into the movie.... I thought it was amazing.

hockeybronx
03-01-2004, 03:35 AM
Yes the devil is an omnipresent force in all of our lives! :devil:

This is only partially true.

Whether people like to admit it or not, every single person in the world sins every single day. This has been the case ever since Adam disobeyed God in the garden.

However the most important thing to remember from this movie is that Satan is always lurking on the OUTSIDE. Some people think that sin is inside of us and is impossible to overcome, but as you can see from the movie, Jesus was able to ignore it.

rage2
03-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Jesus, did he ever get a major ass kickin'. I'm shocked that nobody bitched about the movie being R rated and not NC17 in the states. The violence was pretty hardcore. I mean they pushed for NC17 on Kill Bill, and made them edit some stuff... Kill Bill's a sunday morning picnic compared to this movie.

Watching the movie is like watching Faces of Death. Or those operation shows on TLC. Just cringin' to the gore.

Originally posted by sputnik
The interesting thing... is that Mel Gibson originally wanted to have no subtitles... because he felt that the movie was strong enough without needing them
haha, yea, the asskicking overshadowed everything else.

Originally posted by Benny
I don't have the money to see it.

Am I like, guaranteed to go to hell if I warez this movie?
lol. Only if u believe in that stuff :rolleyes:

If you're into like super violent stuff, then it's worth watching. I mean, it's one of the most intense gorefests I've seen. I like violent movies, and I found this movie umm a bit more violent than my tastes. You gotta be pretty sick in the head to enjoy the level of gore here hehe.

3g4me
03-01-2004, 01:50 PM
excellent movie.:thumbsup:

BloNdie
03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
I can't wait to see it, especially after this thread.

I heard the Mel Gibson funded the movie himself ($25 Million) Because noone else would

Melinda
03-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie

:werd: I hate movie theatres and usually wait till stuff hits the video stores of PPV but in this case I might make an exception! Sounds like a great movie :thumbsup:

sputnik
03-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm going to see it once the crowds subside... I still have yet to see LOTR:ROTK

hockeybronx
03-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie

I heard the Mel Gibson funded the movie himself ($25 Million) Because noone else would

It's true, it involved quite a risk but he's definetely going to get back a phenominal amount from the movie theatre sales.

ninjak84
03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Subtitles + 2 hour beating + people crying in the theatre + overpriced tickets + theatre technology from the 80's = Rental.... and only if the cable and internet is out for the night.

I don't care who's getting beat up on the screen. If I paid for my ticket, then shut the fuck up during the show!

Ben
03-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Mmmm theaters, the rustling and mutilation of popcorn bags and people who cant chew with their mouths shut/quietly, and kick the back of my seat. Its gonna have to be a hell of a good flick.

Melinda
03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Mmmm theaters, the rustling and mutilation of popcorn bags and people who cant chew with their mouths shut/quietly, and kick the back of my seat. Its gonna have to be a hell of a good flick.
The EXACT reason why I hate theatres, good call ben :rofl:

finboy
03-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
But that movie was completly differnt than anymovie i have seen..... I also saw that ugly Acura with " Jesus loves you if you like it or not." on the back of the car.

ahahahahaha, that guy was dooing construction work on a house near mine a few years ago, me and my friends couldn't help but break out laughing when we saw it. then we happend to glance over a bit and see that he was watching us laugh at his craptacular car.

good times.

hockeybronx
03-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Actually guys one thing I noticed during the movie was that the whole Theatre was completely silent. I remember noticing sometimes at how dead silent the whole crowd was, especially during the quiet times in the movie.

Mahk Uno
03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Did anyone happen to catch the flick on acid...if so did it happen to make more sence, are you now able to relate better to the bible?

Wildcat
03-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Actually guys one thing I noticed during the movie was that the whole Theatre was completely silent. I remember noticing sometimes at how dead silent the whole crowd was, especially during the quiet times in the movie.

Quiet my ass... fuck, the whole theater was sobbing like crazy, quincidently the two biggest bawlers were right behind me. I wanted to whip around and tell these ladies to STFU and get a fucking kleenex, its just a movie! That kinda ruined it for me, and i didnt find the 2 hour gore-a-thon appealing at all..

cp1
03-02-2004, 01:28 PM

This is only partially true.

Whether people like to admit it or not, every single person in the world sins every single day. This has been the case ever since Adam disobeyed God in the garden.

However the most important thing to remember from this movie is that Satan is always lurking on the OUTSIDE. Some people think that sin is inside of us and is impossible to overcome, but as you can see from the movie, Jesus was able to ignore it.

I dont know if i agree with that... i highly doubt that some of those shaolin monks who do really nothin but meditate all day can find time to sin!! sure they would have the capacity to do so... but i choose to believe those guys are really good!

I mean c'mon they're monks right...?

anyway sorry bout that i am seeing the movie tonight should be good.

cp1
03-02-2004, 01:33 PM
just had a thought: would it be a sin if someone like maybe mel brooks were to do a spoof of that movie... or jay and silent bob... what if they used the "buddy jesus?" sure it would be really funny but... oh nevermind!

hockeybronx
03-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Let me get this staight. BECAUSE OF ADAM EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING IS GUILTY OF SIN. It is impossible for the monks not to sin. Whether it's any impure thoughts of women, thoughts of envy, jealousy, doubt, hatred, or lust in their minds.

The biggest thing I've learned since becoming a Christian is that everybody sins and because of what Jesus did on the cross we don't have to be ashamed of it. We simply need to repent of those sins and prove to Jesus that we live for him.

Seanith
03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
We all know when no ones looking those monks be whacking it! :eek:

hockeybronx
03-03-2004, 02:29 AM
We all know when no ones looking those monks be whacking it! :eek:

Although society would like to think that monks are absolutely perfect, they are just as succeptible to those temptations as the normal college or high school student.

Obviously it isn't easy resisting or admitting to sin, but then again if everybody could make it to heaven for eternity then it wouldn't be heaven. Judgment day will be a big wake-up call for many of us.

Anyways back to the original thread. For those who have seen the movie, who will go a second time to the theatres?

buh_buh
03-03-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't think I'd go again.
Not because it wasn't a good movie, but because I can't say that I enjoyed watching that. I don't think anyone can really say they enjoyed watching someone get tortured for 2 hours unless they had some sort of weird fetish.

sputnik
03-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Exactly the reason that I go to see movies a week or 2 before they are out of the theatres.

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-03-2004, 02:23 PM
The movie sucked, 2 hours of beating, yeesss... a continuation of brave heart...in depth beating of the guy that shoots fire balls out his ass.
This movie aint for people who havent read the bible or dont believe this kind of stuff.

:confused: :whipped:
:( :whipped:
:angel: :whipped:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 01:27 AM
So now that I've talked to hundreds of people about the movie, I've found I've got quite the mixed reviews.

There have been tons of my Christian friends who loved the movie.

There have been a few of my Christian friends who didn't like the movie, because of various reasons: glorification of a tragic experience, and too much media hype.

Also some of the guys from the factory I work in who I thought would never even consider the movie came to me and told me how much they loved it and how it affected them.

The bottom line is what Mel Gibson said: If this movie has an affect on even one person in the world, then it was all worth it.

Not to mention the fact that he'll probably make around 70 million off the movie.

girlRACER
03-08-2004, 01:43 AM

Although society would like to think that monks are absolutely perfect, they are just as succeptible to those temptations as the normal college or high school student.

I beg to differ. I know many monks at my temple on a personal basis for 7 years + and have known them to be very respectful, kind, and self-controlled people. In the entire time that I have known them I have never seen them mad not even once. They have an incredible amount of self-control....so for you to compare them to college or high school students in behavior is a complete insult to renunciates.

Are you speaking from theory or actually know of any monks?

Moonracer
03-08-2004, 01:48 AM
I think I'll wait for the video

girlRACER
03-08-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm not trying to get into any religious debates with you nor am I trying to dictate to you what to believe....but when you speak about people from other religions like monks....you should at least try to speak from your own experiences rather than hypothetical situations.

RiCE-DaDDy
03-08-2004, 02:31 AM
I'm not trying to get into any religious debates with you nor am I trying to dictate to you what to believe....but when you speak about people from other religions like monks....you should at least try to speak from your own experiences rather than hypothetical situations.

Would u agree with his point? But just not to that extent?

girlRACER
03-08-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

Would u agree with his point? But just not to that extent?

Monks are certainly not perfect...but to suggest that they are susceptible to temptation as a kid is for candy or quote "normal college or high school student" is simply not true in my personal experience.

RiCE-DaDDy
03-08-2004, 03:06 AM

Monks are certainly not perfect...but to suggest that they are susceptible to temptation as a kid is for candy or quote "normal college or high school student" is simply not true in my personal experience.

k, cool. you sounded pissed hehe

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 02:11 PM

I still stand by my original statements. Do you know the meaning of the word "succeptible". What I meant is that Satan is always on the outside lurking waiting for a chance to strike at us. It is also quite common that Satan will try to attack the strongest followers of Christ first, not the occasional Sunday-go-to-church pawns that we see so often.

For you to suggest "from you personal experience" that Monks have this force field around them resisting any temptation to sin is naive, no matter how much personal experience you have.

What is my personal experience? I completed a semester class on it at school and we heard first hand testimonies from monks on what their life is like.

You have to remember that because of what Adam did, sin is EVERYWHERE in the world, heck at times even church is turned into a meat market for people my age. If resisting sin was as easy as moving to the mountains and praying all day, then anybody who could dig their own hole in the ground would be able to live perfect lives.

I really think me and you are talking from two different levels here man.

Redlyne_mr2
03-08-2004, 02:23 PM

I really think me and you are talking from two different levels here man.
Yes you are both on 2 different levels, in about a month she will have a degree in religious studies, she knows more about religion than anyone on Beyond. Why do you think she didn't want to get into a debate there are very few people on Beyond (if any)who have the knowledge to properly challenge her and discuss religion. You completed one semester of class woopty doo, she has over 5 years in in class experience and probably 10 years personal experience as a practicing budhist. No offense dude but youre making yourself look like a fool..I dont know why christianity brings out the ignorance in people

hjr
03-08-2004, 02:29 PM

Yes you are both on 2 different levels, in about a month she will have a degree in religious studies, she knows more about religion than anyone on Beyond. Why do you think she didn't want to get into a debate there are very few people on Beyond (if any)who have the knowledge to properly challenge her and discuss religion. You completed one semester of class woopty doo, she has over 5 years in in class experience and probably 10 years personal experience as a practicing budhist. No offense dude but youre making yourself look like a fool..I dont know why christianity brings out the ignorance in people ouch, shu.. shu.. shuuut DOWN. Fighting ignorance, 1 newbie at a time.

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 02:33 PM

Yes you are both on 2 different levels, in about a month she will have a degree in religious studies, she knows more about religion than anyone on Beyond. Why do you think she didn't want to get into a debate there are very few people on Beyond (if any)who have the knowledge to properly challenge her and discuss religion. You completed one semester of class woopty doo, she has over 5 years in in class experience and probably 10 years personal experience as a practicing budhist. No offense dude but youre making yourself look like a fool..I dont know why christianity brings out the ignorance in people

First of all, good she has a degree in Religious Studies, but she has no more than I do in the area of knowing God.

10 years of a practicing Buddism? Okay I'm a Chrsitian... Also ask any person of any religion and they will tell you that time has nothing to do with depth of their faith. I know people who have been Christians their whole lives and they have more trouble with sin than people who have never been Christians.

Regardless of how many years experience she has, I still stand by my previous point that Satan is everywhere, and living inside of mountains with cloaks over our bodies will not make us immune to sin. Our personal discipline and relationship with Christ is what makes us "resist" sin.

Your comment about me being ignorant because I'm a Christian. First of all does me saying what you don't want to hear make me ignorant or you? Second of all read my signature.

sputnik
03-08-2004, 02:40 PM
hockeybronx

again... *ahem*... AGAIN must i remind you not to take the offensive. please be considerate of other peoples beliefs... even starting sentences with something like "i believe" or "the bible states.." or "many christians believe that..."

you are coming off as a condiscending know it all whos purpose in life is to tell all non-christians they are wrong based on what YOU believe to be true... or what you have read... etc. i understand that you may be "on fire for God" since you are an new believer... however Jesus didnt tell his disciples to judge people... even in the garden of gethsemene jesus put the ear back onto the sodier that peter cut off... perhaps maintain a more passive and humble attitude and you wont get flamed so often.

no where in the bible does it say... "beat thou non-believers with the bible thus converting them for the good of your ego"

please be a bit more gentle with people... and be willing to accept that people may believe differently than you.

i am a christian and you are embarassing me... and doing more damage than you think... perhaps contemplate why the christian faith is always so heavily criticized... because zealots take the offensive and offend people in the process without letting them come to their own conclusions on their own.

sputnik
03-08-2004, 02:43 PM

Second of all read my signature.

Is that supposed to be a Biblical quote? If so please include the reference.

Also, you might want to further explain the context of it so that people don't misunderstand it.

Also what is with the Eminem avatar and the chainsaw killer in your sig? Not terribly passive... either of them

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 02:50 PM
The bottom line is that if I were to die tommorow I don't want to have spent the last hours of my life being "passive" and courteous about this issue. I am trying to live every single day on this earth like it is my last.

I am simply trying to follow the message "Go and make disciples of all nations."

I don't care what everybody thinks about me, we have no idea when Jesus may return, this is something I am extremely passionate about and I get upset when people try to undermine what I have experienced in my 11 months as a Christian.

Many people on this website do not realize that I thought the same things that they did, until one day everything changed and my life has never been the same since.

My friends (both non-Christian and Christian) say my best attribute is that I tell everything like it is in my heart. I refuse to suger-coat myself my statements about my faith so that people don't get offended on this website.

No matter how many people hate me, if I can effect even one person in this world from now until the day I die then it will be all worth it.

I totally understand what you are saying, but what you aren't understanding about me is that I am not who you are. We are two different people. When after 17 years of the same old crap my life suddenly changes miraculously, I really don't care who I offend or embarass, because none of that will matter in the end.

You are right, I am on fire for God, and I will not give up until I can show others why that fire burns so hot.

hjr
03-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Your comment about me being ignorant because I'm a Christian. First of all does me saying what you don't want to hear make me ignorant or you? Second of all read my signature. dude, i didnt say you were ignorant because you were a christian, i think is something else like a mental disorder perhaps. who knows, but thats besides the point.

I dont have 1 single problem with your belief in god or that christianity is the 1 true religion, thats you. What i was talking about is that you dont know the facts as well as she does (being that you are a 1/2 religious student and she is a 5 year student). It is overly evident as well as you are taking a non-acedemic aproach to the topic. You state facts about god as truth, Rather than your belief, or the beliefs of chrisitans. Because of this, you are far to overly biased to descuss this reasonalby. When you spout of about truths you come across as ignorant, arrogant, condescending and inflexible.

You should listen to sputnik, its good advice.

bart
03-08-2004, 02:58 PM
i saw this movie, it is very good. i dont know why people have issues with this film. like looking at magazines, they call it 'controversial'...

whats controversial about it? this is exactly what happened... people can't handle a little tomato sauce or what? pretty it follows history dead on, except i dont remember hearing about claudia anywhere until the movie...

still, if it was made any other way, it would be just 'another' movie.

sputnik
03-08-2004, 03:04 PM
My friends (both non-Christian and Christian) say my best attribute is that I tell everything like it is in my heart. I refuse to suger-coat myself my statements about my faith so that people don't get offended on this website.

Look, I can understand your zeal. However you cant take people to heaven with you. You can only show them a God who loves them so much that he gave his son to die as the penalty for ALL of our sins... and if their heart is searching... they will find God personally and the decision will be between them and God and NO ONE else. Getting into heated arguements is no way of showing love.

Jesus never told his disciples to get people to hate them. Jesus himself was never really given any reason as why he should be killed. If you notice in the movie when asked who he claims to be he is always VERY humble and rarely says anything. To the point where both Pontius Pilate and King Herod have no reason to kill him. Does that make him bad because he didnt preach and shout from the hilltops?

Those that followed Jesus were those that hungered for the knowledge that he had and the truth that he preached. Most came to Jesus seeking. He didnt go to them and preached AT them. You are not creating a hunger. You are force feeding people.

Think of your OWN story. What led you to Christianity? When you were 15-16 and I was to come around telling you that you were on a path to destruction and that you were an evil sinner that needed to repent right away... how would have you reacted?

Weapon_R
03-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by bart
whats controversial about it? this is exactly what happened... people can't handle a little tomato sauce or what? pretty it follows history dead on

Pretty bold statement! Were you there when it happened? :eek:

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by hjr
dude, i didnt say you were ignorant because you were a christian, i think is something else like a mental disorder perhaps. who knows, but thats besides the point.

Mental disorder...that's probably true but whatcha gonna do:dunno:

It's still not going to stop me from speaking my mind.

hockeybronx
03-08-2004, 06:17 PM
You don't believe me because you don't like the way I say the things on my mind.

They hated Jesus because he spoke his mind and never held anything back.

All ya'll can do whatever you want, because someday all questions will be answered.

You spend your time and energy hating the church and hating me, you have enemies all around you, and you still ignore the one man that will love you regardless of what you think, Jesus.

This is the end for me, it's not worth going on any longer. Because I am hard they will not like me, they will be affraid of me or think I'm crazy... that makes me sad. There's only one place I want to be, and it's not on this earth. I want to be free from my sins, from other sinners, and from the crap of this world.

They don't understand the urgency because they don't understand anything. What if He came tommorow? Could you imagine the looks on their faces, on my face.

No longer will I stumble and fall, for now I will stand tall like a Soldier and come out swinging any time someone get's in my face.

You don't understand, not because you don't want to, but because you can't. Because you are affraid to be loved, you are affraid to be saved.

You can all take your four years of school in religious studies, your business degrees, 20+ years of "being a Christian" and shove it. I'll take my relationship with God and leave everything else, it's all I will need.

EK 2.0
03-08-2004, 06:59 PM
*snip*...You don't believe me because you don't like the way I say the things on my mind.

and you still ignore the one man that will love you regardless of what you think, Jesus...*snip*

Dude you just did not compare yourself to Jesus, man that has to be the most inase, and rediculous statement you have made in all your posts on this thread...

I have a minor in Religious Studies, and I almost gagged after reading all of these posts...mainly the ones made by you my friend...I have to say they are revolting and in my humble opinion bordering on blasphemous...

The only statement you mad and that I somewhat agree on, is that Jesus will love you no matter what, but that can be said of any God from any religion...whether it be Allah, Ganesh, Krishna, Yahweh, Buddha, any of the Guru's man...wow...

I am at a loss for words from your posts Lil Em...

AquamosH
03-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

i am a christian and you are embarassing me... and doing more damage than you think... perhaps contemplate why the christian faith is always so heavily criticized... because zealots take the offensive and offend people in the process without letting them come to their own conclusions on their own.

:werd: I feel insulted and embarrassed by hockeybronx's posts in this thread. It seems like he's trying to tell us he's the only one that deserves to go to heaven, at least that's how I've been interpreting his posts.

I believe in God and Jesus, and others have beliefs of their own. They shouldn't be pushed around because they don't have the same beliefs as you, some may feel just as passionate about their religions but they don't feel the need to keep preaching about it and try to convert everything in their site.

Dude, I know you're passionate about God, but at least show some respect.

...now I will stand tall like a Soldier and come out swinging any time someone get's in my face.

This seems to be a very Jesus-like thing to do. :rolleyes:

GingeRRRBeef
03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
HockeyBronx,

How do you go about say that we can say anything we want cause you've got your faith and your God when you constantly go on a blind tirade everytime someone voices a different opinion than your own?

You continually make yourself to look like the most ignorantly, stubborn and incompetent bible thumper of all???

If you are trying to compare yourself to Jesus,

because he spoke his mind and never held anything back., why don't you stop for a second and think.

Why don't you forgive everyone and love them, like Jesus, knowing that not everyone believes in him and loves him in return? Why can't you do that?

I don't know if this is your "online personality" or not because, thus far, it doesn't seem like a healthy one.

Wildcat
03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
You don't believe me because you don't like the way I say the things on my mind.

All ya'll can do whatever you want, because someday all questions will be answered.

You spend your time and energy hating the church and hating me, you have enemies all around you, and you still ignore the one man that will love you regardless of what you think, Jesus.

This is the end for me, it's not worth going on any longer. Because I am hard they will not like me, they will be affraid of me or think I'm crazy... that makes me sad. There's only one place I want to be, and it's not on this earth. I want to be free from my sins, from other sinners, and from the crap of this world.

They don't understand the urgency because they don't understand anything. What if He came tommorow? Could you imagine the looks on their faces, on my face.

No longer will I stumble and fall, for now I will stand tall like a Soldier and come out swinging any time someone get's in my face.

You don't understand, not because you don't want to, but because you can't. Because you are affraid to be loved, you are affraid to be saved.

You can all take your four years of school in religious studies, your business degrees, 20+ years of "being a Christian" and shove it. I'll take my relationship with God and leave everything else, it's all I will need.

you can take your relationship with God and shove it, your ignorant and thats the bottom line. if you want to get closer with Jesus you can sign up on www.performance-shop.com and talk to him yourself... :rofl:

oh ya, "knowledge is the roof of all ignorance"... invest in some!

Wildcat
03-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH

:werd: I feel insulted and embarrassed by hockeybronx's posts in this thread. It seems like he's trying to tell us he's the only one that deserves to go to heaven, at least that's how I've been interpreting his posts.

I believe in God and Jesus, and others have beliefs of their own. They shouldn't be pushed around because they don't have the same beliefs as you, some may feel just as passionate about their religions but they don't feel the need to keep preaching about it and try to convert everything in their site.

Dude, I know you're passionate about God, but at least show some respect.

:werd: , this isnt a site for fucking peddlers..

finboy
03-08-2004, 07:35 PM
as if comparing himself with eminem was't enough, now he's comparing him self with jebus, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

what an ignorant tit

girlRACER
03-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Hockeybronx,
I don't have anything to argue about and I don't want to argue with you...especially about Religion. If it is anything that I have learned in 5 years of school, then I have learned that arguing about who is right and who is wrong really goes nowhere and causes more battles than has any accomplishments.

You are free to believe in whatever you want and I would never force you to believe in anything else. I just hope that in your strong beliefs and relationship with God that you are a Happy person...but it seems that through your posts, you are not truly happy. :( You think everybody hates you for your beliefs and to me, a true follower of God should not know what hatred is for he has no hatred in his heart.

I'd like to quote what my professor said today in class. He said "If you think you already know everything about Religion, then you won't learn anything new."

You are right. I don't know everything. Just because I have 5 years of school doesn't mean I know the Truth. But I am willing to admit my own ignorance. I am willing to accept the fact that I don't have all the answers and I'm willing to learn and let go of my own ego. I don't hold onto my own beliefs and because of that I am at peace with myself.

May you find peace too.

Amen

girlRACER
03-08-2004, 09:07 PM
P.S. Jesus was a compassionate man. He loved everyone regardless if they were Christian, Buddhist, or Atheist etc. I am sure Jesus would have wanted you to practise compassion as well. ;)

Hatred and anger goes nowhere.