PDA

View Full Version : B.C. liquor laws overhauled: Booze sales allowed in grocery stores, kids in pubs with

ZEDGE
01-31-2014, 08:51 PM
The British Columbia government is lowering its inhibitions on dozens of antiquated liquor rules and endorsing all 73 recommendations in a report that includes allowing grocery stores to sell alcohol.

Impressed, welcome to the 21 century Canada.. maybe Alberta will follow?

http://www.vancouversun.com/liquor+laws+overhauled+Booze+sales+allowed+grocery+stores+kids+pubs+with+parents/9454819/story.html

Tik-Tok
01-31-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm amazed BC did this before Alberta. I do applaud it as well. Although I don't (yet) have kids, I don't see anything wrong with bringing them into a pub. Especially since the anti-smoking laws were brought in.

Many a wing night have been cancelled from lack of babysitters :rofl:

revelations
01-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Holy crap.... did I wake up 20 years later or something? Hippy BC land ....

This just means they make more money on booze sales :nut:

Supa Dexta
01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Its been a while since I've spent any amount of time in bars in NS, but I thought minors were allowed in until 9pm with an adult. Makes sense to allow them to go to a pub for a meal and maybe early evening music, before the drunks and rowdys show up.

And when did NS get booze in grocery stores. That's the first I've heard of that.

The fences around beer gardens part is kinda weird though - I've never seen that as an issue. :dunno:

Nitro5
01-31-2014, 11:21 PM
Since it's BC I give it 6 months until someone files a Human Rights complaint when denied access to a pub with a child because they want to keep it an adult only establishment.

Part if the allure of going to a pub for a bite is not having screaming kids there.

davidI
01-31-2014, 11:25 PM
That's great. I love that aspect of Europe so it's nice to see a Canadian province begin to embrace it.

Dogs & Kids in bars? No problem. Buying booze with groceries? No problem.

e31
02-01-2014, 03:01 AM
BC didn't get the in-school injection sites, nor the in-school pot dispensaries; I guess you can't have everything you want. Just kidding.

The loosening of regulations like this are great for responsible people, and lessening bureaucratic overhead is always good in my opinion. However, I recall going into some large chain "grocery store" in SoCal, and there were more isles for booze than food. I'd hate to see the same thing here anywhere in Canada; but the market will usually decide (losers and bums are probably a pretty lucrative segment in alcohol sales).

Mista Bob
02-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Maybe its just me, but the best part about eating at a pub is not having to listen to every ones precious little snow flakes non-stop as they run around the place.

davidI
02-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Maybe its just me, but the best part about eating at a pub is not having to listen to every ones precious little snow flakes non-stop as they run around the place.

That's a good point. I tend to forget European kids are better adjusted to behaving in public than the little hellions that run amok in North America.

Idiot Stick
02-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Incoming quality parents bringing their babies to bars strapped in strollers asleep while they get piss drunk.

How long before the first "Baby forgotten at bar" news article?

I can see the dumbdumbs really fucking this up for everyone.

CanmoreOrLess
02-01-2014, 09:42 AM
I like my pubs the same as my cafes, kid-free zones. On the upside, bars will be pedo-free, well at least the ones on parole.

snowcat
02-01-2014, 04:57 PM
The only ting I don't like is the kids in pubs... why? Then you'll get some parent coming over and asking to stop swearing because his kid is there.

dubhead
02-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Also removes the need for beer gardens at music festivals!! After attending a festival in Europe this summer it becomes even more glaringly obvious how retarded beer gardens are, especially at an 18+ festival

speedog
02-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Nitro5
Since it's BC I give it 6 months until someone files a Human Rights complaint when denied access to a pub with a child because they want to keep it an adult only establishment.

Part if the allure of going to a pub for a bite is not having screaming kids there.
How so? Charge patrons a nominal adult only club entrance fee ($1.00?) with the rules plainly posted and I don't see there being any problem.

CapnCrunch
02-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick
Incoming quality parents bringing their babies to bars strapped in strollers asleep while they get piss drunk.

How long before the first "Baby forgotten at bar" news article?

I can see the dumbdumbs really fucking this up for everyone.

Or some dude gets drunk at the pub and drives home with his baby and kills them both.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/british-prime-minister-david-cameron-forgets-his-eight-year-old-daughter-in-a-pub-229939

Lol.

Feruk
02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I love it! About time.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Or some dude gets drunk at the pub and drives home with his baby and kills them both.
No different than if they were at a house instead of a pub. Agreed with Dubhead; beer gardens are the stupidest thing in the world.

Moonracer
02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Mista Bob

I agree 100%. If I had kids there's no chance in hell I'd bring them to the bar, that's retarded. This is exactly why I choose the pub side of an establishment over the restaurant side.

My spouse and I have been going to the BP's at chinook lately and have noticed they have been letting people with their kids into the bar/pub side. Is that even legal? I guess we'll have to start going somewhere else if this keeps up. :thumbsdow