PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet options for acerage

BeyondNewB
01-31-2014, 09:21 PM
I'll be moving to an acerage in Rocky View and wanted to know what my options for internet would be.

I checked the rogers site they have internet sticks but dont offer large data plans.

I heard of platinum communications but heard they are deadly slow.

englishbob
01-31-2014, 09:26 PM
We have 'xplornet' and at best it's ok.
Hard to beat the speed of intown internet once you move .

78si
01-31-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm with telus.. Its ok-ish

firebane
01-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Mobile data sticks will never be that great due to bandwith limits.

Aside from that your other alternatives is maybe Telus but depending where you are to their nearest switch could mean a crappy connection.

The other option is you could use a satellite based service but again service can be spotty at best.

thetransporter
02-03-2014, 03:57 PM
where abouts are you located? maybe my buddy can hook you up

speedog
02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
efirehose.net - know a few people using them and they seem to happy with the service.

klumsy_tumbler
02-04-2014, 09:13 AM
My parents use Xplornet. Any time there's a storm out, it'll go down. If you're lucky, climbing out onto the roof to clear the snow off the dish might help... for a while.

Nothing like what you get in the city, but if you're on an acreage you should be spending more time outside than on your computer anyways :)

Tik-Tok
02-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I can't suggest anyone, but a co-worker lives out in Water Valley, and the best internet he can get is 3 megs, lol. Even that is intermittent.

I believe he said there was something faster, but was an obscene amount of money. (satellite internet maybe?)

Seth1968
02-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Probably better to go the dollar store and buy a few miles of ethernet cable:)

HHURICANE1
02-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Efirehose/Platinum Communications suck. I have them and the speeds are horrible. Saturday I was trying to watch some Netflix and all I was getting was 500 kbs. This was after they changed my equipment Thursday after they promised they would do it on Wednesday. Before Platinum took over Efirehose would come out on the weekend for service calls. They no longer do that. They also cut back on their trouble line hours. I'm not impressed and I will probably be switching to CCI Wireless this month.

corsvette
02-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Efirehose has improved but still sucks imo. Explornet is about the same so I hear. Not much you can do right now for internet on acreages. One plus for efirehose is their service is fairly quick if you do have issues.

Waldi
02-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Does Bell provides any options?

Alterac
02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
xplornet pretty much resells all the small wisps.

If you are more specific about your location I may be able to give you more options. MD of Rockyview is pretty large.

Between Calgary and Cochrane
If you have the cash, give Pathcom a call, they can set you up a microwave shot. (aka, not cheap).

Like the others pointed out, there are a few fixed point wireless connections.
http://www.platinum.ca/coverage-area.html
http://www.cciwireless.ca/availability.php
http://efirehose.net/images/coverageNov1.jpg
http://www.wiband.com
If you are a fair ways north of Calgary, Airenet may be an option.

e31
02-05-2014, 12:02 AM
I am considering a point to point solutions for the moment. All I need to do is find someone on the edge of downtown that doesn't mind a dish on their balcony.

I figured that on a clear day I can see from South Hospital to Nose Hill to COP, so why the hell am I bothering with Telus 6mbps internet?

taemo
02-05-2014, 12:55 AM
we are using Velocity Networks from Cochrane as WISP for our Carstairs office and have been very happy since installing it 2 years ago.

Xplornet is terrible, especially when calling for support.

if all you plan to do is occasional internet (email/facebook/youtube) then a 10-20GB mobile plan might work for you with bell/telus/rogers.
if you are close to a town, you might get lucky and have HSPA+ or LTE coverage (last I know only major cities and along HWY2 has LTE coverage)

thetransporter
02-13-2014, 01:04 AM
pm me your address i will check my buddys' company