PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Wire in Calgary?

eblend
02-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Hey guys,

Need to buy like 35' of 8 guage 2 conductor wire. Rona and Home Depot carry the 3 conductor stuff for a pretty high price, so hoping to find 2 conductor stuff and hopefully cheaper. Any suggestions?

anothers10
02-02-2014, 09:07 AM
eecol electric

eblend
02-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Does 11004 - 48 STREET S.E. sound like a right address for this place? Google maps showed me like 4 locations in Calgary.....bing maps showed me a few others....but their site only shows one, so just wanted to double check

n1zm0
02-02-2014, 11:22 AM
There's one here (http://goo.gl/maps/XJ9xk) for sure.

chathamf
02-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I doubt Eecol or the wholesalers will even give you a better deal then Home Depot. Those places only cut deals when you buy a ton from them.

eblend
02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
I doubt Eecol or the wholesalers will even give you a better deal then Home Depot. Those places only cut deals when you buy a ton from them.

Deal or not, home depot does not carry a 2 conductor cable I need.

Cos
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM

OU812
02-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Save-On Electrical on 12 ST NE Just N of 32 Ave

johnlennon
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Hey guys,

Need to buy like 35' of 8 guage 2 conductor wire. Rona and Home Depot carry the 3 conductor stuff for a pretty high price, so hoping to find 2 conductor stuff and hopefully cheaper. Any suggestions?

Drive to a Residential Construction site with electricians & say you live down the street and need wire for your basement. 20$ and you're good to go.

mr2mike
02-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I've got some left over stuff that's 8 gauge 3 wire. What length do you need? There's probably enough to run from a city kitchen to the electrical panel or laundry room to panel.
I'll sell it to you for 1/2 of what HD wants and will measure it if you're interested. PM me.

Also I'm no electrical guru but I don't think they make 2 wire 8 gauge. For what purpose? Most things that need that heavy of gauge are going to need 3 wire.

theken
02-02-2014, 11:39 PM
you don't need to use the third wire on 3 wire, I think I have half a reel in my basement somewhere

mazdavirgin
02-03-2014, 12:23 AM
You can buy cables in pretty much any number of conductors and any gauge you might desire. Problem is you have to typically order it by the KM to get a decent price. Really though how expensive can 35' of cable really be? Last week I ordered in 1KM of single conductor 00AWG to the tune of 35,000$.

eblend
02-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Also I'm no electrical guru but I don't think they make 2 wire 8 gauge. For what purpose? Most things that need that heavy of gauge are going to need 3 wire.

Check your PM.

Yes I know I can leave one wire disconnected, but thought it might be cheaper to buy 2 wires to begin with, since it's copper and copper isn't cheap.

The wire is for a sauna. My parents downsized to a smaller place and moved out and took the sauna with them, and the part from the control panel to the heater was 8 guage 2 conductor red wire, my dad said it was the same wire from the breaker box to the control panel but they left it in the walls at the old place.

eblend
02-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Really though how expensive can 35' of cable really be? Last week I ordered in 1KM of single conductor 00AWG to the tune of 35,000$.

If I recall what my dad said, he said he though he saw a price of about $10 per foot, that's $350 for a wire, which is a lot for them right now as they just downsized a house (but had to pay more for it due to townhouse --> small house move) and are close to retirement with little savings, having come to Canada in their 40s. Just trying to save where we can while still accomplishing a task correctly and to code.

mr2mike
02-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Checked the HD price last night as I was there anyway. It was just over $11/ft for the stuff you're after.

Anyone wondering, I didn't have enough wire for eblend after measuring.

Nufy
02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Check your PM.

Yes I know I can leave one wire disconnected, but thought it might be cheaper to buy 2 wires to begin with, since it's copper and copper isn't cheap.

The wire is for a sauna. My parents downsized to a smaller place and moved out and took the sauna with them, and the part from the control panel to the heater was 8 guage 2 conductor red wire, my dad said it was the same wire from the breaker box to the control panel but they left it in the walls at the old place.

That will be a huge single phase breaker...

Can you get a 50 - 60 A single phase breaker ?

eblend
02-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

That will be a huge single phase breaker...

Can you get a 50 - 60 A single phase breaker ?

actually the sauna requires something like 27AMPs, so it will be a 40AMP breaker which requires an 8 guage wire. Red and black into the breaker and then the ground. I looked over the wiring diagrams.

So far a big thank you to mr2mike, sillysod and theken for helping out. I am waiting on theken right now and if that doesn't work out will follow sillysod's lead. mr2mike was nice enough to check his cable but it wasn't long enough.

I am not in a terrible hurry right now with this as I have a ton of other work to do in that basement, but thanks everyone for the help!

Nufy
02-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Hang on..

You need a red and black for the breaker...White for the neutral and then a ground...

Correct ?

Sounds like standard 240 VAC wiring to me. Unless i am missing something...

eblend
02-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Nufy
Hang on..

You need a red and black for the breaker...White for the neutral and then a ground...

Correct ?

Sounds like standard 240 VAC wiring to me. Unless i am missing something...

Appearatly white is not required. I read some other things online as I was also curious before and they mentioned no need for the white wire (you can see explanation here http://www.nojolt.com/Understanding_240_volt_circuits.shtml )

Page 7 is the wireing diagram

http://www.saunas4less.com/PDF/heaterwiring-chsh4-5-hsh6-240v-1ph.pdf&cd=4&ved=0CCwQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNEAPQ4S_lTf6CwhcDtCRJKtjnhDvQ

theken
03-14-2014, 06:16 PM
You've got another pm