PDA

View Full Version : Review of Waldhaus pub in Fairmont banff springs.

Graham_A_M
02-02-2014, 03:20 PM
So my parents decided to spend a weekend out in Banff, just for the hell of it, since I was finished everything I needed to yesterday, I drove out to Banff to see them and have supper there.

First choice was The Grizzly house, but they were chock full until 10:30 pm.

Second was a recommendation in John Gilchrists book (The CBC radio restaurant critic).
Being Waldhaus restaurant & pub, in the former Banff Springs golf club house just behind the main hotel.
First off, this is inaccessible by car, you have to walk down to it, or get in the shuttle that leaves Banff Springs every half hour/hour. Its nestled on the 15th tee box of the (Banff) Stanly Thompson golf course. Its the old Golf course pro shop/club.

http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/dining/waldhausrestaurant/
http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/dining/waldhauspub/

Their dining area/restaurant was fully reserved. Since we didn't make reservations, we just went down to the pub on the lower level of the restaurant.

I normally dont drink with my parents, but after seeing the prices of beer, that settled that. It was $$$ for both wine & beer... $8 for Big rock beer is a bit stupid, everything else goes north of there, import bottles were up to $18/bottle.
For a "german" pub? :nut: The wine was crazy, bottles that sell for $ 15-20/bottle at liquor stores were $70-80 there.

Anyway, there wasn't much to choose from on the menu,
My dad and I had the Flat Iron steak, since we were both starving... and a steak looked like the best bet.
My mom had the Chicken Sandwich, since she's a light eater.

a good while later our food finally arrived.
I was speechless when we saw our dishes, The "steaks" had as much cow as what you'd find in a big mac from mcdicks. :(
We got about 7 small brussel sprouts each and a very small serving of some veggies that really weren't good in the least.

All in all it took me literally 5 minutes to finish my supper. I could have eaten about four more of those before feeling remotely full. You really dont get much food for $24/dish or for that matter, good food.
My mom couldn't finish her chicken sandwich due to how insanely salty it was...
All in all none of us were impressed at all, asides from the fact that our steaks were done fairly well.

I dont know, I was thoroughly unimpressed. The service was about the best part of that whole experience. Perhaps the restaurant would be better, but the pub was dog shit.... despite the restaurant managers recommendation upon getting there.

Coles notes.

Service. 7.5/10.
Our server was quite attentive and quick to replenish drinks, thankfully after tasting said shit food, he was kind enough to take the chicken sandwich off the bill... but rightfully so since after three bites, she couldn't have any more.
When a different server dropped off our food, I asked where the rest of the meal is, since there was nothing there really.. she said "I dont know what you're talking about" then quickly walked off.... great thanks.....

Food: 4/10 The portions of what you'd expect a bigger meal to be, were horrible. The steak was pretty good, but thats literally the only thing. About 10 ounces of steak (between both dishes) for a $80 bill later on was quite disappointing. I left there and went to Mc Dicks in Canmore coming home. Its hard for me to clearly judge the food, since among the food, we had two different dishes between the three of us. Perhaps the restaurant on the main level would be a different experience, but we were very disappointed with the pub.

Atmosphere. 3/10. For a historic building with attempts to make it passable for what you'd see in Germany, it really didn't meet the mark. Seating was uncomfortable, atmosphere was a bit tacky and poorly delivered. If you cant pull off the german beerhaus type atmosphere, at least stick to the historical side that they tried hard to hide. It was a fair bit of neither in my experience. The odd height combo of the tables VS. the seating made for an uncomfortable eating/sitting experience. I felt like a fucking idiot for recommending to my parents that we should go there... I still feel bad today, that was a horrible experience on all levels. Everything was super open and un-inviting, which isn't always the best to have conversations in.

Drinks 4/10
Mediocre selection, stupid prices. Almost on par with what you'd expect to pay for drinks at a club per se'. Like I know its the Banff Springs, which is a resort, but come on.....

Overall 4/10, definitely wouldn't recommend nor go back.
Just a total disappointment on all levels. There is really nothing that I liked about that place, err, sorry... asides from the fact there are big screen TV's that you could watch the games on, thats about it.

AudiPWR
02-02-2014, 03:26 PM
We got the fondue and thought the food was shit, beers were shit and way marked up too.

For my girlfriend and I paid something like $216 for 4 beers, the fondue meal and desert. We were both still hungry after the meal. Never would go back.

rage2
02-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I stumbled on Waldhaus by accident once, was hungry, and basically had the exact same experience. Never going back again.

I listen to CBC a lot, and don't really trust John Gilcrist reviews. His sushi recommendations are terrible.

Graham_A_M
02-02-2014, 05:36 PM
^ Well yeah, :rofl: most white guys dont know shit about Sushi, one of my closest chick friends (also white) is an avid sushi nut, only now am I starting to get into it a lot more. I tried sushi for the first time last year.... kind of a late bloomer in that department, but to my experiences, I was missing out this whole time.

I dont know, I was expecting a LOT more considering this is from the owners of Fairmont, and its obviously on their property. All their other restaurants seem top notch, then there is this.... just seems odd you'd have such a huge variance. :dunno:

Originally we were going to do the Banffshire restaurant upstairs of the main lobby, but thought we'd try this instead. Bad mistake that was.
Yeah just dorking around on the Fairmont website about the different restaurants in the actual hotel, wow I screwed up by not going to those, the prices are on par with what we paid, and the food looks astonishingly better. :facepalm:

bignerd
02-06-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't think the Grizzly House would of been much better. Went there for the first time after New Years... could of done without.

eglove
02-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Totally off topic but my favorite place in Banff is Chaya. Love that place

rage2
02-06-2014, 12:42 AM
The only plus is that there's Fairmont wifi there. Cell reception was terrible from what I remember haha.

My banff favorite restaurant is Eden at Rimrock. I stay there a couple of weekends a year for the food.