PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Canvas art/Framing stores

BMDUBS
02-04-2014, 11:19 AM
I am looking for store recommendations for having a loose Canvas print stretched onto a wood frame and maybe even framing it.

I am not looking to spend a fortune as it is a inexpensive piece of art but I am looking for someone competent in this kind of work.

Only place I know of might be U-Frame it? Suggestions?

Mitsu3000gt
02-04-2014, 11:35 AM
If you have the original digital image, it might be cheaper to have it re-done. This place is excellent:

http://www.posterjack.ca/

30% off until tomorrow as well, can't beat those prices.

l/l/rX
02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Michaels, although probably on the pricier side of things.

Amysicle
02-05-2014, 10:11 PM

That.Guy.S30
02-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Get all my stuff framed at michaels. Always happy with the work.

eglove
02-05-2014, 11:47 PM
sign up for framing offers via email from Michaels and you can score some good deals.

BMDUBS
02-05-2014, 11:58 PM
I found a small art shop just off of 16th ave and 2nd street NE that will do it for around $80. U-Frame it wanted $180-$500 lol

I will report back with what the quality and the verdict was. The painting/Canvas I am having stretched is worth about $35...

Waldi
02-06-2014, 09:24 AM
if you are in SW, ther eis a frame store (small) off Bow Tr SW past 37 Str next to Husky gas station I have used a lot in the past and is pretty decent.

BMDUBS
02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Damn Waldi, I live just up the hill from there, why didn't you chime in sooner!?:rofl:

msommers
02-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
if you are in SW, ther eis a frame store (small) off Bow Tr SW past 37 Str next to Husky gas station I have used a lot in the past and is pretty decent.

How do their prices compare to Michael's? Typically Michael's will have 60-70% sales which makes things more realistic, ie: ~$300 for a quality mat and frame with non-reflective glass in larger sizing, say 24 x 36+. I've had a couple things framed there and can't complain but then again I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Michael's does a pretty good job but it's only worth it with the coupons. It's grossly overpriced otherwise IMO. Also their non-reflective glass is still quite reflective, but I'm not sure what premium they charge for that. I have several Michael's framed prints and they are good with the discount, but the non-reflective glass is a marketing gimmick (unless they just screwed me every time and gave me regular glass :rofl: )

bignerd
02-06-2014, 06:27 PM
It is less reflective to an extent, but any large flat smooth surface it still going to be somewhat reflective.

Personally I just use the normal clear glass (and I use to work there for 2 years doing framing). The non reflective glass is nicer for some colors, but I find it hard to clean and shows ALL fingerprints. On my own stuff that I framed I just used plain glass and I could upgrade for free....

The coupons are always 60+10% off, so you assume 70% off, but it is 60% off first, then 10% off the balance so actually works out to be 64% off. Whatever the sale is, in total 65% off is pretty good, anything above that is one of their best sales and only occurs twice a year usually. Sometimes it is 60% off plus $10 or whatever which can also work out well depending on what you spend.

The sale only applies on framing if you order a custom frame. If you just order a mat or have a canvas stretched and not framed, no sale.

Most Michaels also do not offer gallery wrapping on their canvas (where the edge wraps around and is stapled on the back)they will staple on the side. You can wrap ribbon or hockey tape around this to hide it if you like. Also depends on how wide the edge of the canvas is if it can be wrapped or not.

Some staff that have been working there a long time have good design ideas and suggestions for frames and color etc... but others just don't care and will just show what you ask for.

msommers
02-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm getting a print done locally and got a couple suggestions to Prints Charming. I'll update once everything is done.