PDA

View Full Version : Career Path - Design or Project Management

Dumbass17
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
My boss just approached me and wants to know what avenue for career path I want to be pursuing - Design or Project Management.

What do you guys reckon?
I haven't given it any thought whatsoever until he brought it up 10 minutes ago

(FYI; it would transportation/infrastructure/civil works)

bjstare
02-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Well, what do you like more? Doing calcs/drawings, or working with people/managing schedule/budget/hours?

The answer to this question will become painfully obvious to you sometime in your career. Most people I have talked to, this happens within the first couple years (myself included).

AudiPWR
02-04-2014, 04:30 PM
It's black and white.

What do you like?

Get experience in both and decide.

Some people are not made for design, and some are not made to be a PM.

It's all what works for you. I like interacting with people, solving problems on the fly, and being involved with the actual work. I can't stand fucking sitting behind a computer for the whole day connecting dots and rubbing out calcs.

XylathaneGTR
02-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Dumbass,

I think the best thing you can do would be to gain experience in both areas and then spend some time sitting at the docks and evaluate what you enjoyed (or were actually good at) doing.

I recall from another recent thread you mentioned that you were limited to design and drafting experience or something...(6 months of this, 3 years of that). With that in mind, I'd suggest you take the plunge to some PM work.

Goodluck, dumbass.

Dumbass17
02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
I really need to change my username haha. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

A friend actually brought up a good point stating that project management is broad, and can be applied to other industries, whereas design may pigeon-hole (i wonder what that is on urban dictionary, anyways) me into one particular industry.

I do get very antsy and bored sitting at a computer drafting.
And when I was getting into more design work, I always had this thought of 'I don't give a shit about this' but I do care that it gets built. Well, I think that answers my own question. This actually excites me, hopefully it isn't false hope.

Now, do I stay with this and give it a go, or go to FMM? haha.

WTB: One crystal ball for future telling reasons

JordanEG6
02-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Agreed, it's apples and oranges there. It's all based on personal preference and skills in the work place.

I have no additional value to what's already been said, but it would be ideal to gain experience in both positions and then it'll be a much easier decision for you when you find out what you're more comfortable with.

Good luck, Dumbass.

Lex350
02-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Yup....like everyone said. What do you like to do? As I get older I find that is more and more important over getting the big payday. Right now at least there is a huge demand for "good" project managers. They can get quite large paychecks these days.....but I wouldn't touch it.

ercchry
02-13-2014, 10:38 AM
PM all day, your earnings wont be nearly as capped in the future... get your PMP too, unless you are going to go back and get an eng degree, you will never be the most valuable person in the design department. always second to the p. eng

zaider
02-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Do you have design experience now?

Personally, i hate it when any of my Project Managers don't have the actual experience in design. Gotta know what you're asking for when you ask for it. Otherwise, how do you know if timelines/estimates are even in the ballpark?

If you've got a good basis in design right now, I'd say the move the PM is a good one and leaves more growth opportunities, but if you don't have design experience, l'd stick there for a bit and then move.

mo_money2supe
02-14-2014, 11:12 AM
OP, it sounds like we work in the same industry - civil engineering consulting? I was actually faced with a similar question about 5 years ago without a clue on my answer. I already had years of field experience and although I was offered a field manager's position, I ultimately chose the design option instead. Why? To get me to my position now. I just recently switched jobs and took on an Int./Sr. PM position (I only report to the department director). Although I PM'd smaller projects at my old firm but mostly took on the design roles, I can at least now say I am more than capable and competent enough to PM larger projects with significantly larger budgets. On top of that, the designers on my team actually respect me for what I bring to the discussion table. Spend time building your skills up first and whatever path you choose with your career will come easily in the future.

Dumbass17
02-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
OP, it sounds like we work in the same industry - civil engineering consulting? I was actually faced with a similar question about 5 years ago without a clue on my answer. I already had years of field experience and although I was offered a field manager's position, I ultimately chose the design option instead. Why? To get me to my position now. I just recently switched jobs and took on an Int./Sr. PM position (I only report to the department director). Although I PM'd smaller projects at my old firm but mostly took on the design roles, I can at least now say I am more than capable and competent enough to PM larger projects with significantly larger budgets. On top of that, the designers on my team actually respect me for what I bring to the discussion table. Spend time building your skills up first and whatever path you choose with your career will come easily in the future.

Good point. Thank you.
As far as design goes, I don't even think my company really does any design. Our entire department is more or less all project management/consulting. I wonder where my boss thinks the design team is..hmmm

CompletelyNumb
02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I do get very antsy and bored sitting at a computer drafting.
And when I was getting into more design work, I always had this thought of 'I don't give a shit about this' but I do care that it gets built. Well, I think that answers my own question. This actually excites me, hopefully it isn't false hope.

Sounds like an obvious choice then, dumbass