TimG
02-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Looking for feedback on gyms in the deep sw. The ones I know of:

Shawnessy YMCA
Midnapore world health club
Canyon meadows goodlife fitness
Trico center

Are there any others?

I used to be a member at the YMCA but got extremely frustrated at lack of parking (thus was before the sfcrc expansion) and stupid long wait times.

I haven't been to the trick center since they did all the rents there several years ago.

Just looking for feedback and experiences at these places.

24 hr place would be nice, or at least extended hours. I think the only 24 hr gym is the golds gym in Mackenzie town,but I am not sure..

3nergiz3d
02-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Canyon Meadows good life is 24hours Monday thru Thursday I believe. Parking sucks there anytime after 4pm.

Masked Bandit
02-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Most places will give you a one week pass to try them out. Go to each one during the normal times you would go and see what it's like for things like parking and overall craziness. I'm currently at WHC in Midnapore in the mornings (6:30 - 8:00ish) and it's pretty quiet overall. However I went last Saturday just before lunch and it was a total shit-show.

TimG
02-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Most of the time I'll be going in the evenings. The y was always swimming with kids from the high school next door.

Redlined_8000
02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Ive been a member at all those gyms except Trico.

Shawny YMCA: Nice setup, 2 Squat racks + an Olympic platform and a trap bar. Has pretty much all the equipment a guy needs. Staff is generally pretty good and not to bitchy about dropping weights Ect. It is a bit expensive, I pay $95 a month for Members+ but I like the steam room and it keeps away from all the dam kids running around the locker rooms.
Negatives is all the kids that are there to just do useless shit and talk with friends rather than workout. Also another negative is the parking for sure.

Mindapore World Health
-Smaller gym than YMCA with friendly staff, drop in fee is $20 so this keeps it a bit more secluded to members only. It has about every machine you need, only 1 squat rack tho I believe. And no trap bar. I liked going there because it was fairly quiet most of the time and the locker room was nice and not to crowded. Also price was decent about $600 a year.

Good life Canyon meadows
Alot bigger than the YMCA and general population going there is fairly serious about working out which is ok. No kids running around or anything. They have lots of equipment and it is a nice modern setup. Eye candy is the best there also. Price is decent too, along with parking space.
Only negatives is the locker room is pretty shitty, cramped, busy and looks kinda used and abused...

So take your pick... Not to many other gyms around us.

C_Dave45
02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TimG
Looking for feedback on gyms in the deep sw. The ones I know of:

Shawnessy YMCA
Midnapore world health club
Canyon meadows goodlife fitness
Trico center

Are there any others?

You may laugh, but I go to the gym at Southland Leisure. There's no eye-candy, but there's also no "guidos", kids or time wasters. It's pretty much an older crowd, along with a dozen or so younger regulars. There's always machines available (about 25 bikes, ellipticals and treadmills) as well as I've never had to wait for a bench or weights. Only 1 squat rack, plus a smith machine. But two complete sets of every other bench. A heavy bag, lots of circuit machines, etc.

It's only $43 a month, and also gives you access to the pool, steam room, jacuzzi, as well as public skating and the basketball/racketball courts all included in your monthly pass.

I joined there so my son can come with me. He goes into the pool, I go up to the gym and then join him for a bit in the hot tub.

If you're looking for a "Golds" type 24 hour gym, with grunting and weight dropping allowed, this wouldn't be for you. But if you want lots of machines, weights and no line ups, it's great value for the money.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Recreation%20slideshows/SLC%20Features/fitness-studio2-435.jpg

TimG
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Do any of the other gyms have heavy bags, or kettle bells and medicine balls?

duaner
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

You may laugh, but I go to the gym at Southland Leisure. There's no eye-candy, but there's also no "guidos", kids or time wasters. It's pretty much an older crowd, along with a dozen or so younger regulars. There's always machines available (about 25 bikes, ellipticals and treadmills) as well as I've never had to wait for a bench or weights. Only 1 squat rack, plus a smith machine. But two complete sets of every other bench. A heavy bag, lots of circuit machines, etc.

It's only $43 a month, and also gives you access to the pool, steam room, jacuzzi, as well as public skating and the basketball/racketball courts all included in your monthly pass.

I joined there so my son can come with me. He goes into the pool, I go up to the gym and then join him for a bit in the hot tub.

If you're looking for a "Golds" type 24 hour gym, with grunting and weight dropping allowed, this wouldn't be for you. But if you want lots of machines, weights and no line ups, it's great value for the money.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Recreation%20slideshows/SLC%20Features/fitness-studio2-435.jpg
:thumbsup: I used to work out at SLC several years ago. Loved it. Had a really nice atmosphere. I think they started the renos just after I stopped going. I'll need a gym soon and I may go back but it's just a little more out of my way than I would like, and parking was sometimes difficult. A real plus for it is the natural light. Something about natural light really helps me while working out.

There is also the Calgary Jewish Center, which I haven't used, but my wife used to swim there. There is Fitness Plus across the street from SLC, which I visited for a month. Smells musty as much of it used to be a swimming pool. That's where all the pretty boys go.

And then there is Gagne's Fitness, which is right on my way home. The last time I visited, a few years ago, they had way too much equipment crammed in there, but it was never busy. According to their site, one of the trainers is a 'World Champion Bodybuilder' and 'Certified Kravmaga Instructor.' Possibly a good plus if he puts on Kravmaga classes. But the whole gym is down some steps and while bright, it isn't natural light.

ddduke
02-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

If you're really into lifting you would probably prefer a "guido" gym full of juicers that drop weights and grunt. They're the guys that understand how a gym works and are there for a reason.

Unlike 95% of the idiots in the gym that curl at a flat bench (see this daily), curl in the squat rack, throw on a 25+10+5+5+2.5lb on the flat bench then walk away when they're done or the fat fucks that get on a treadmill and walk flat ground for an entire hour.

It's not in the deep south but if you can make it work then I'd try Talisman. It's not close to home for me but I drive through dt after work so I stop in on my way. I've been a member at golds, world health, ymca, probodies, etc. and no gym even compares. There's 6 squat racks, 2x all benches, more cable machines then I can count, pools, hottub, steam room, basketball courts, badminton, probably 80-100 pieces of cardio equip, tons of hot broads and an indoor track. Only terrible thing is the locker rooms, which are crammed and disgusting but I just got exec membership which took care of that problem for me.

suntan
02-04-2014, 11:41 PM
I hate the racks at Talisman. It's impossible to set up dead lifts. Also two smith machines? What a waste of space.

Chicks are amazing there though. There's one hottie there that swims in a thong bikini. Also I once sat next to a middle aged woman in the hottub who was masturbating with one of the nozzles. She orgasmed next to me.

BrknFngrs
02-05-2014, 12:13 AM
How do you guys find Talisman for busy? Particularly in the later part of the evenings and weekends?

My Bankers membership is coming up for renewal soon and I've been considering Talisman as an option for a while.

brucebanner
02-05-2014, 12:17 AM
I've dropped in at Canyon Meadows Goodlife a few different times and after the last time, never again haha. Place is a zoo, personally didn't like it at all. Two half racks, poor layout. Just nothing close to what I'm used to.

Also dropped in at the Tailsman and definitely preferred how they were set up in comparison.

What kind of gym are you looking for? Could make a big difference in what people recommend.

TimG
02-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Just looking for a place to do my thing. I dont care about others around me, but I can't stand people taking up equipment and not doing anything.

Having a heavy bag would be a definite bonus as well as space to skip rope.

ddduke
02-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
How do you guys find Talisman for busy? Particularly in the later part of the evenings and weekends?

My Bankers membership is coming up for renewal soon and I've been considering Talisman as an option for a while.
Mondays are crazy busy, Tuesdays are pretty bad too, the rest of the week is fine and Fridays/weekends are completely dead.

The nice thing about it is that the facility is so big that even when it's really busy there's always something open that you can substitute with.

Originally posted by suntan
I hate the racks at Talisman. It's impossible to set up dead lifts. Also two smith machines? What a waste of space.

Maybe it's been a while since you've worked out there but they changed the whole layout recently. I did deads today and they have 3 different types of racks as well as a raised hardwood area with drop mats. I couldn't think of a more ideal set up for deadlifts.

They have 3 smith machines now, I don't fucking get it, no one ever even uses them, they're always free.

pf0sh0
02-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Also I once sat next to a middle aged woman in the hottub who was masturbating with one of the nozzles. She orgasmed next to me.

da fuq

suntan
02-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Maybe it's been a while since you've worked out there but they changed the whole layout recently. I did deads today and they have 3 different types of racks as well as a raised hardwood area with drop mats. I couldn't think of a more ideal set up for deadlifts.

They have 3 smith machines now, I don't fucking get it, no one ever even uses them, they're always free. Yay. I think they had one oly lift area before. I'll have to check it out again. I just usually use the track there these days.

Dumbass17
02-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Calgary really needs more gyms hey.
I went through the same things as the OP.

Got a week pass at Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness (garbage), Goodlife Fitness and World Health Club.
Against my original plan, I did join World Health Club because there is one near my house and one near work. So I can workout after work and avoid the rush hour traffic if I get there at a decent time. There are crowds, but don't forget, it's still the new years reso fatties that will quit soon and the gyms will being to thin out ;)

zipdoa
02-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by TimG
Just looking for a place to do my thing. I dont care about others around me, but I can't stand people taking up equipment and not doing anything.

Having a heavy bag would be a definite bonus as well as space to skip rope.

Avoid 530-730PM and you'll be fine. I usually go at 4PM or 9PM and it's never very busy. If someone is using a machine, I just ask to work in with them.